You're good to go in Gatlinburg. They cannot do a "city ban". You may need to check any city parks you go into though.

Just keep an eye out for the "gun buster" signs or the law itself being quoted.

Last time I was in Gatlinburg I carried the entire time. I do seem to recall a couple of signs but the majority of places seemed OK. 

I still have yet to figure out what the appeal of that tourist trap is.
  • Like 1

Saltwater taffy, nut logs, pancakes, and Chinese-made stuffed toy bears.

• Like 2

I was just there a few months back. I carried everywhere, but then again I didn't get sucked into all those ridiculous tourist traps nor did I feel like waiting in line for several hours for some silly pancakes.

Ober Gatlinburg is posted, so ya can't take it up there. I didn't bring it with me, but I had planned on drinking because that's what I do when chicks dress up all German and serve beer.
  • Like 5

Only good thing about Gatlinburg is Johnny Cash mentioned it in a song. no danger in me carrying there at all because I won't go

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Edited by KCampbell
  • Like 1

Pancakes and excellent people watching.  But I avoid the place whenever possible. 

I hate as much as the rest of you, but it is my fathers birthday and that is where he wants to go

Awww, c'mon, you mean there are OTHER places besides Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge that have miniature golf and overpriced zipline rides?? Darn. I thought they had the market cornered on that stuff. :doh:

Nothing says 'Welcome to the Great Smoky Mtns' like bumper to bumper 5 MPH traffic and the Titanic....

• Like 3

I only saw one gunbuster last time I was there: Ober Gatlinburg.

Also, be sure to check oout the breakfast at Bearland General store and grill. Great food!

Nothing says 'Welcome to the Great Smoky Mtns' like bumper to bumper 5 MPH traffic and the Titanic....

and scads of vehicles with yankee license plates.

Edited by tartanphantom

I was walking down the sidewalk there one night and a friend in a car hollered at me from the passenger side window. I had to slow my walking pace down to talk because the cars couldn't keep up due to the traffic. Unless you are staying in a motel there, parking is hard to find.

I took the wife there in the fall of 2010. Stayed in a condo for a few days. Carried everywhere. Had a great time. Didn't let the crowds bother us. Even stood in line for some silly pancakes seeing as how you can't find them just anywhere... Edited by daddyo

I don't recall seeing many signs.  As others have said, maybe one or two places but the majority of places are not posted.

My advice, just make sure there isn't a 'rod run' up there when you plan to go.  Some of the vehicles are neat to see but you won't be able to get anywhere - as in driving a distance that would normally take ten minutes (even with normal Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg traffic) will take two hours or more.

Saltwater taffy, nut logs, pancakes, and Chinese-made stuffed toy bears.

Heck, yes, pecan logs!  The ones from 'Smoky Mtn. Candy Kitchen' with the cherry in the middle!  Don't forget the cheap knives, swords and 'Ninja' equipment (and when I say 'cheap' I don't mean the price.)

Also there is a hot sauce shop in the Mountain Mall that I love visiting (for the samples if nothing else.)  Then there are the sausages at Fanny Farkles (yeah, okay, so I like food - sue me.)

Honestly, as much as I dislike the general public and despise crowds, there is something about Gatlinburg that I like even if I am just walking around.  I think it has something to do with the fact that my dad would never stop there when I was a kid.  We'd do the picnic in the Smokies thing and he would just blow right on through Gatlinburg - with my sister and I oohing, aahing and wanting to stop.  So now that I am an adult who can damn well go there any time I want, I usually do two or three times a year, at least.  Of course, I often go during the 'off peak' season or at times when the crowds aren't going to be as heavy and I generally don't do the 'tourist attractions'.

When I do go during higher traffic times, I don't like the traffic through Pigeon Forge - so I go the 'back' way and avoid Pigeon Forge during the busy traffic times.  The way I go, I come out at the Sugarlands Visitors' Center.  This means that, while most of the traffic is coming into Gatlinburg from the direction of Pigeon Forge, I am coming in from the opposite direction.  Then, when it is time to go home, while most traffic is going back toward Pigeon Forge, I am again driving in the opposite direction.

As for parking, I have never had a problem.  There are several pay lots available for public parking.  Is there also a shuttle that runs from the visitor's centers (there is a visitor's center on each end of Gatlinburg) where the parking is free?

Edited by JAB

Even stood in line for some silly pancakes seeing as how you can't find them just anywhere...

I stayed in a cabin so I made my own breakfast everyday. The cabins out in the hills are about as much as anything in the town, only I had my own hot tub, mountain view and didn't have to listen to drunk people and traffic all night.

I stayed in a cabin so I made my own breakfast everyday. The cabins out in the hills are about as much as anything in the town, only I had my own hot tub, mountain view and didn't have to listen to drunk people and traffic all night.

Agreed except that the hills have effectively become subdivisions.  Every winter I'm amazed at how many more cabins are on the hillsides. 

Bennett's BBQ was posted last time I went, (three years.) Buster sign inside where the hostess stands.

I was just there a few months back. I carried everywhere, but then again I didn't get sucked into all those ridiculous tourist traps nor did I feel like waiting in line for several hours for some silly pancakes.

Ober Gatlinburg is posted, so ya can't take it up there. I didn't bring it with me, but I had planned on drinking because that's what I do when chicks dress up all German and serve beer.

angryarab-meme-generator-why-you-lie-i-t

Ha, Ober Gatlinburg was actually pretty awesome for both us and the kids. My son loved the alpine slide, and I loved pushed up German boobies serving me a pint.