Anyone have a root cellar?

I've been looking at land for quite a while and am (hopefully) going to have a few acres before the end of the year.

One of the things I'm looking into is building a root cellar. I have even given some consideration to just burying a shipping crate into the side of a hill. Anyone here have a root cellar you are willing to share to help me get some ideas? :hat:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tennessee Ex Pat

We had one at the home place when I was a kid. Actually two. My mamaw had one dug under the front porch, and she stored the carrots, beets and potatos in barrels filled with sand. When we were little kids, she would have us kids compete  to see how many taters we could dig in a given time. The other root cellar was at the cabin my family had. I was just a young buck, but is was mostly underground with the door above ground so the water wouldnt come in. It had about four steps down with a concrete floor. It looked as though my papaw shotcreted the sides and top as the dirt was piled up, really thick. It was sort of like a dome, but it had hooks embeded in the roof to hang and season deer. There was A LOT of dirt on this thing, so it was like a meat locker, even in the summer.  I think it started as a storm cellar, but knowing my dad and papaw it of course grew out of control. From the road, it looked like a fair sized lump in the front yard off to the side. We were never allowed to play on it, as the grass could get ruined.  Still in use as far as I know.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.