Why is there such a stima against women and firearms use by them?

Ok, so I don't understand why when I go to a gun shop and a woman ask to see a handgun for self defense either A. their husband/boyfriend/ dad show them little .380s and small little handguns only, or B. the gun shop guy pushes the toward smaller guns only. I never see them being show a 1911, Glock 19, or an XDM40. Why is it that so many men think a woman can not handle a firearm? My mother, sister, and past exs have always done fine with a little training just like any male new to the sport. Just wanted to get a ladies perspective on the matter.

Thanks.

Shitttt, lol my daily go to carry is a Keltec P32, but my wifes is a S&W 38+P revolver that kicks harder then any handgun I own personally lol, and she handles it just fine scoring a 99% on her carry permit test with it.

With her it came down to grip size versus hand size. A revolver suited her just perfect due to her short fingers having issues getting to the safety's on a auto. People think small hands need a small gun. No they just need a better set of grips.

When we went hunting for hers I brought everything I had and gave her free rain in the gun rentals area for others and only helped her decision to rule out one when i seen a problem. She chose on her own what she wanted after I helped rule out large autos due to the safety's being to far away. She can run that hand cannon like she's had it for years.

Don't tell her this but I like shooting my big autos more since they don't mule kick like hers lol.
  • Like 1

I don't know. Personally, I started my girlfriend with a P22, simply because it was the first pistol she ever shot. The moved her to a 9mm, and then to a 1911. During he first session, I also let her shoot an LCP. She loved the 9mm. was OK with the 1911, and hated the 380.

I think it is just part of the average male ego that we are 'bigger' and 'stronger' than women so therefore only we can shoot them big manly .45's.  

Personally, I think this is a load of horse $*&%.  Women are very strong and even handle pain better than your average man.  Furthermore, have you seen the number of things your wife/girlfriend is capable of doing efficiently at one time?  I am confident that any gun a girl picks up regardless of caliber or number of levers and gizmos she will become competent in short order.

Every shooter is different, and should be treated as such.  Let him or her make their own decisions when it comes to weapons selection, and offer advice only if it is asked for.

Edited to add:  My best friend (girl) bought her first gun two months ago - Glock 17.  She can shoot circles around most shooters I know with it.

Edited by TNcitizen22
Guest 6.8 AR

I laid all my handguns on the bench at the range for my wife to try. She went through every one. She settled on the

p226 9mm because she like the way it felt and she could shoot it just fine. I know she wouldn't have allowed me to

get her a pea shooter, although she has a Walther P-22, also, and likes it.

Petite for most, gals like butchy JoAnn prefer 44 magnums though.  Psst...JoAnn takes a little snuff when no one is looking, and she wears a wallet with chain too! 

Seriously, women are from Venus and men are from Mars thingy.

My wife's usual carry these days is a 1911 and shes very good with it.  She does have a couple .357 revolvers for some variety.  She also has a Mosin Nagant and scoffs at the idea of using a recoil pad with it.

Guest Irie
I love my .357 and my hubby's new 9 (subcompact frame). The .380 I thought I'd love I really can't stand. I have a hard time getting proper finger position on the trigger and I'm not accurate with it at all. I think it's also too light. Hubby on the other hand loves it because it fits in his pocket :)

Look at it from the seller's perspective.    Probably 90+ % of women buy a small 380 or 38sp.  Another 5% might get a compact 9mm.   Maybe 1/2 % might even look at a 1911.  

You want to see a 1911?  Say "let me see a 1911".    Same goes for a man.  A man walks in there and says "I needz a gun for defense, whats good" he is not going to get to see the 1911s, because most men do not buy those for defense.  

The SECOND you walk in there and ask for a recommendation, the guy has to make a decision on what you might like and because you asked, has to assume you know nothing at all.   If you knew anything, you would point and ask to see what you wanted to see.   From his experience,  female shooters want tiny guns in medium calibers, 380s and 38s being super popular. 

Go in there and point to anything at all that you like, say "let me see that one" and then if it is not what you want, spell it out... "this is the right size but the grip is too fat, what is similar but more comfortable...?  and you will get a better answer.  

--- and my personal 2 cents: I think it is idiotic to recommend a gun with a 10+ pound trigger pull to any novice who clearly does not know what they want.  Actually recommending anything is a thankless task, with nothing to go on, and a shooter who simply does not know what to ask or what they want, its like trying to sell a car to a 6 year old --- all you know is that brand name recognition and shinys might work.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

My mom had chemotherapy and has about 1/4 the strength she used to, so charging/clearing is somewhat difficult for her. She has small hands so it led to her getting a smaller weapon, Beretta Nano to be exact, which led to me getting an FNX-9, so that if the Schumer ever hits the fan we have a common caliber.

Started my wife on a Walther P22, when she was proficient, she selected a G3 Glock 17.

Why such a BIG pistol?

It fits well in her hand - she has long fingers, the extra size and weight due to physics eat up some reooil and allow her to get back on target faster - a good thing since she is recoil sensitive.

It is purposed as a night stand and range gun. She will not be carrying it any time soon and if she does, it will be off body in a co-ordinated carry rig of some sort.

No reason even to consider a compact or sub compact anything.

Look at it from the seller's perspective.    Probably 90+ % of women buy a small 380 or 38sp.  Another 5% might get a compact 9mm.   Maybe 1/2 % might even look at a 1911.  

You want to see a 1911?  Say "let me see a 1911".    Same goes for a man.  A man walks in there and says "I needz a gun for defense, whats good" he is not going to get to see the 1911s, because most men do not buy those for defense.  

The SECOND you walk in there and ask for a recommendation, the guy has to make a decision on what you might like and because you asked, has to assume you know nothing at all.   If you knew anything, you would point and ask to see what you wanted to see.   From his experience,  female shooters want tiny guns in medium calibers, 380s and 38s being super popular. 

Go in there and point to anything at all that you like, say "let me see that one" and then if it is not what you want, spell it out... "this is the right size but the grip is too fat, what is similar but more comfortable...?  and you will get a better answer.  

--- and my personal 2 cents: I think it is idiotic to recommend a gun with a 10+ pound trigger pull to any novice who clearly does not know what they want.  Actually recommending anything is a thankless task, with nothing to go on, and a shooter who simply does not know what to ask or what they want, its like trying to sell a car to a 6 year old --- all you know is that brand name recognition and shinys might work.

I am just saying if we sent two people, one male the other female, with similar body size, strength, and skill. I would bet money that the woman would be shown a compact and the guy be shown something along the lines of a glock 19.

I think your question is actually asking for a males point of view because they are the ones that are thinking about their wives wants just as much 

as salesmen do.

My wife is not much of a gun person but my daughter started shooting with her husband a few years ago and what do you think

he did? He ran out an bought her a P-22. She shot it and all but a couple of months ago I was out on the pistol range shooting my .45 ACP and

the kids showed up. My daughter asked if you could try out my 1911. I looked at her slight frame (110 lbs) and stuck one round in the chamber

thinking she was not going to like it all at. She aimed, fired and hit the target fine! She then looked at me and said, "Dad, you got anymore ammo?"

I handed her a full mag and she was off to the races. Would you believe they sold the P-22 and she shoots whatever catches her fancy that either 

I or my son-in-law brings out. 

I'd have to say that we give women their due and let them decide what they like up front without steering them to pop guns. I do think its a good idea

to hand them a .22 if they're never tried a pistol before and the only reason is they are handling something new and why add any stress by having

recoil become a factor when they're starting out. Recoil can come later. Notice I did not say to buy them a .22. I'm saying take out a mess of guns

and let them shoot em all but let them chose what they want to try next. 

And with that I think I'll retire back into the shadows and let the ladies have their say. :)

Lp

everything.

I am just saying if we sent two people, one male the other female, with similar body size, strength, and skill. I would bet money that the woman would be shown a compact and the guy be shown something along the lines of a glock 19.

Yes.  Because a high % of men buy large plastic guns.  A large % of women buy smaller stuff.   Its just starting with what is most likely to work, not a slight toward either one.   Again, the solution is to ask to see something like what you want, that gives the sales guy a starting place other than the pink DAO 380. 

As a woman..I dont know why that is..I carry a .9mm ,and of all my guns I have only one is a .22..

Men tend to think that we cant handle bigger guns I suppose..Not sure what it is..

And then are the guys who think I should put some glas on my .45ACP boltgun( because,ya know..I cant hit anything with it with just dem dar iron sights on it..( true story)..lol

My wife will shoot just about anything but she wants a light gun that's safe and easy to shoot for carry. Ended up with an LCP after trying a range of guns from full size 1911 to the LCP. Relative to men there are a lot less women shooters so when a lady is looking for a first gun or carry gun a smaller one is generally what will work best for them.

I have guided at least  a dozen women, mostly family, in firearm selection.  As usual it comes down to purpose and preference.  If it is a home and travel gun vs. carry, then things can be different.  As usual it is all a compromise.  For instance, one petite lady got a Nano (at her insistance).  Problem is she simply cannot shoot it more than 3 times because of lack of hand-strength and excessive trigger weight.  So small is not necessarily the answer......it depends.  I really like for them to buy a range gun;  full size because they are easier to help instruct and hit what they are aiming at.  Makes the better home defense and automobile weapon.  True for revolvers or semi-autos.  Plus, as we all know, one gun is never enough.  Next we can move on to getting their carry weapon.

Edited by chances R

My wife chose a P-22 on her own.  She's shot all of my guns and can handle them fine she just likes the way it feels and the lack of recoil.  She started shooting a P-22 because we rented one a couple times while we at G&L and she liked that little rental gun more than any of mine so we ended up buying her one of her own her home defense gun though is my M&P 9 with a tac light on it.   

One of my good friends wives just recently switched from a small light 380 to a full size 9mm because she felt the 380 was to snappy.  My buddy wasn't sure what to have her try and when I figured out that it was for a home defense gun I got him to have her try a couple of full size guns.  A heavier slide and springs can do as much to tame recoil as switching to a smaller caliber.  I've known several women that prefer the 45 ACP cartridge because of its particular type of recoil impulse

If I put myself in the shoes of the salesman though I can see why they steer them to guns that more women seem happy with.  

I'm familiar with a case where a Woman with zero knowledge and experience was SOLD an XD40. Unfortunately she didn't have the strength or confidence to rack a round into the chamber. And this Lady really had some reasons to fear for her life. I told her she needed a revolver. Never heard the final outcome of that situation.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never bought into the whole "ladies need a good J-frame" argument.  I've also never bought into the whole "strength required to use a semi-auto" argument, either as far as the typical healthy female member of the species is concerned. 

Case in point - my 13 year old, 90 pound niece had no issues operating my Gen3 G17 or her grandfather's G19 during an afternoon shoot a couple of months ago.  She was doing so well shooting standard pressure ball that I let her try out a couple of Winchester Ranger SXT's (the 127-grain +P+ loading).  Zero issues.  She loved it.

A perfectly healthy lady can handle just about any major caliber round/semi-auto platform on the market.   Give them training - and opportunity - they will shine.  

My girl moved her from Cali 6 months ago and had never shot.  I got her started with a 22 so she got the safety part down, then moved her to the 9mm, then 45.  She shoots quarter size groups with the 45 at 7 yards now, but her favorite handgun is my Thompson Center in 35 Remington with a 14 inch compensated barrel.  I would have never guessed that would happen considering the blast from it, but she says that whats she likes.  I guess it just depends on the girl and the company she keeps.  As a result I am considering selling a 380 I have as neither of us really enjoy shooting it.  Originally I thought she might like it because its small and not intimidating looking, maybe that's part of the stigma.  

In my experience woman usually end up being better shots than men, they just seem much calmer and dont get the rush we do from it.