Any Tactical Response alums in TGO?

I am saving up for the Way of the Rifle class to take later this year or possibly early next year. Was just curious if there were any alumni's here in the forum. But anyone else, please don't suggest other trainers such as Suarez as I am unintersted having investigated all local options.

Have not taken the way of the rifle. I've been to two fighting pistols in a year. If I had more vacation time I would take all their classes available.

Very much recommend.
  • Like 1

Have not taken the way of the rifle. I've been to two fighting pistols in a year. If I had more vacation time I would take all their classes available.

Very much recommend.

Outstanding, thanks much pardner. I can't wait to take the class, just gotta save up funds for it is my big thing, plus losing weight since I started dieting and working out will help too so as to not be an armchair commando, lol.

I have been there for Fighting Pistol and AR armorer by Cav Arms.   It was OK and I am not saying it was a waste of money or anything like that but I have been to others I felt was better training.

I have taken Fighting Rifle and Advanced Fighting Rifle at Tactical Response.   I thought the training was pretty good.  It is not a basic entry level course, you already need to know basic shooting principles and how to run your rifle and pistol.  All of the instructors were knowledgeable and professional. Advanced Fighting Rifle was my favorite, as it has more to do with teamwork.  You will be doing a lot of shooting and moving with other team members, so you will work on movement and team communication. 

It was fun and I learned a lot.  There were people in my class that were going through it for the second or third time.  Plus, once you go through a Tactical Response class, you can come back for the yearly alumni training weekend (2 days of free training!).

• Like 1

Fighting pistol and fighting rifle for me and I will likely take the emergency action medical this year from them to compliment other training from other training to round out the year.

I've taken training form several facilities and TR's trainers are good trainers and just plain good folks.

Any tips you fellers can gimme for the class that I may not be aware of going in? I'm taking care of the weight thing as of now, I think....... and desperately hope.

They will work with you regardless of any physical limitations. I'm overweight and have a bad right knee and there are simply some things I could not do. DON'T LET NOT BEING IN PERFECT SHAPE stop you from getting the training.

In fact, I would argue that those of us with physical limitations (whether from weight, ailments, age or all the above) need to know how to fight with our firearms even more than someone who is young and healthy.

Make sure you weapon(s) are in good shape and clean...have plenty of ammo (although I never really used as much as they said to bring)...have an open mind.  Every trainer there is for real and not just some mall ninja bad-ass-want-a-be.

You will get tired...thirsty...may need a snack so plan accordingly!

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the class when you are done...I've taken the two day Fighting Rifle but not the Way of the Rifle and I'd like to know what you thought of it.

Edited by RobertNashville

They will work with you regardless of any physical limitations. I'm overweight and have a bad right knee and there are simply some things I could not do. DON'T LET NOT BEING IN PERFECT SHAPE stop you from getting the training.

In fact, I would argue that those of us with physical limitations (whether from weight, ailments, age or all the above) need to know how to fight with our firearms even more than someone who is young and healthy.

Make sure you weapon(s) are in good shape and clean...have plenty of ammo (although I never really used as much as they said to bring)...have an open mind.  Every trainer there is for real and not just some mall ninja bad-ass-want-a-be.

You will get tired...thirsty...may need a snack so plan accordingly!

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the class when you are done...I've taken the two day Fighting Rifle but not the Way of the Rifle and I'd like to know what you thought of it.

Yep. They ran Fitty through the shotgun training, and he's missing an arm.

Yes - Fighting Rifle. Good course and ran through approx 1200 rounds in 2 days. A plus. The TR crew are good people and care about your training experience. Course held at an alternate site, a small abandoned chert gravel pit. OK but not an impressive range site. Instructor/student ratio was very good.

Well, since you folks have actually gone through their training, I've been hesitant to attend any because I am put off by the arrogance (or what I perceive as arrogance) by the guy that runs the show up there and I visualized the classes as a bunch of him strutting around telling folks how great he is.  Is that an accurate characterization of the guy or is he actually a good instructor?  The fighting rifle course looks decent, but not if all I am going to hear is him telling war stories for two days.

• Like 1

Well, since you folks have actually gone through their training, I've been hesitant to attend any because I am put off by the arrogance (or what I perceive as arrogance) by the guy that runs the show up there and I visualized the classes as a bunch of him strutting around telling folks how great he is.  Is that an accurate characterization of the guy or is he actually a good instructor?  The fighting rifle course looks decent, but not if all I am going to hear is him telling war stories for two days.

James wasn't even present for the two classes I attended. He is more of a spokesman then an instructor. He travels and sets up the class locations and does PR. The school has many great and competent instructors.

If fact in one of his videos he states that so many people have been requesting him personally for training as of lately that he set aside 5 classes for this year that he will be the instructor but you have to request to be in one. I think they are full already.

I see it this way. I don't like home depot's political views or the way they fund political crap I don't agree with. I don't like their CEO BUT I still shop there because they have products I need. I see Tactical Response in that manner. I don't care about the personal life or personality of the figurehead because the training is outstanding and the instructors are top notch, no BS, real world experience men that have something I want.
  • Like 2

TR's staff taught the course I attended. Mr. Yeager stopped by the class and spoke to the group. Welcomed and thanked us for being there with no war stories. No arrogance at all displayed. It was pretty much a busniess and professional attitude from all instructors in the class. Now is Mr. Yeager confident in what he does and proud of his career, I would say so. The course was fast paced with few breaks except to reload mags, hydrate etc and with a lengthy lunch, thank goodness. One thing TR does is make sure you send rounds down range. One instructor not assigned to the class showed up on both days and spent his off time helping students. I may take some more training or may not, however let me say that never in this country's history except probably during the Revolutionary War has such training been available to citizens. Would not surprise me if civilian tactical trng is shut down at some point in time. Civilians taking "Small Team Tactics" has got to drive the far left nuts.

• Like 1

...I've been hesitant to attend any because I am put off by the arrogance (or what I perceive as arrogance) by the guy that runs the show up there and I visualized the classes as a bunch of him strutting around telling folks how great he is.  Is that an accurate characterization of the guy or is he actually a good instructor?  The fighting rifle course looks decent, but not if all I am going to hear is him telling war stories for two days.

Of the 4 days I was there, Yeager was only around for 3 to 4 hours on the first day.  He was informative and professional, no bragging, no war stories.  Does he have an ego?  Sure.  Do his Youtube videos sometimes get people all riled-up? Yes.  You have to remember that, in addition to getting his views out there, the purpose of the videos is to get Tactical Response's name out there, and to get people talking about the school.  Publicity is publicity is publicity.  Don't let your perception of him keep you from seeking training at Tactical Response.  They have many qualified and professional instructors...........and, yes, Yeager is one of those instructors.  People may not like his past or his attitude, but that really has nothing to do with the quality of training at the school.

• Like 1

Fighting Pistol (Yeager taught)

Fighting Rifle (Yeager taught)

Fighting Shotgun

AK Armorer

Pistol- Low Light (Yeager taught)

Some more than once...

All were excellent.

Don't worry about your physical condition...they don't do ninja rolls.

James Yeager...can he rub some people the wrong way?  Absolutely.  However, he's one of the most talented firearms instructors I've seen (and I've attended Rogers, Vickers, Suarez, Givens, Pincus, Werner, plus military, LE, and lesser knowns) and, he's not at all abusive in class.  Once you get to know him, he'll do anything for you (in the past, I owned/ran my own training school for 3 years here in MidTN and he was nothing but supportive).

Some people can't get past his history and attitude.  That's cool.  But, if you can, you'll receive your money's worth.

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 2

I've taken the majority of the curriculum out there. I can't recommend their force on force class or immediate action medical class enough.

Immediate action medical is likely the next class I'll take there; good to know you recommend it!

I really also want to do at least one or perhaps all of their force on force classes too; just can't do it all at once. :)

Thanks for the feedback.  I was a police firearms instructor in Florida (95 percent of what we did was handgun related), so I know that there are others out there that could teach me a lot, especially with the rifle.  I also know I don't have much patience with instructors who spend half of the class quoting their resume as was the case in the CCW permit class I had to take when I moved to Tennessee.  I'll give them another look.   :up:

One of the best things about Tactical Response is the annual alumni weekend...you'll meet people/instructors there teaching "mini-classes" all weekend that are nationally known and it's all FREE if you've ever taken a class from TR before (except they do ask that you buy a ticket to the NRA banquet for $30).

I've had a great time and learned a lot every time I've gone.

http://www.tacticalresponse.com/course.php?courseID=43

Edited by RobertNashville
  • 6 months later...