Now, THAT'S a light!!

Guys, keep an eye on yugster.com. I got a Cree 1200 lumen light with 2-3volt batteries (it only holds 1 battery 1 for spare) and charger for $17.00. It 6 inches long and it will blind you. I ordered 2 and wish I ordered 4.

I thought my 200 lumen lights where bright but this 1200 will light the night.

• Like 2

Guys, keep an eye on yugster.com. I got a Cree 1200 lumen light with 2-3volt batteries (it only holds 1 battery 1 for spare) and charger for $17.00. It 6 inches long and it will blind you. I ordered 2 and wish I ordered 4.

Never heard of yugster. Bookmarking now. Thanks for the heads up!

Guest sL1k

My surefire is 600lm... Yep I think I need 1200lm lol
Guest Lester Weevils

1 watt LED's are typically rated around 50 to 100 lumens, so 250 lumens for a 5 watt LED sounds about right?

Now 200 or 300 lumens is pretty dang good for many uses. Running that output on an AA cell or any other single battery in that size range, its gonna run about one hour on max output. Depends again on application. Sometimes you only need to run a light a minute or two at a time on full brightness, and there's no law against toting more batteries in yer pocket, and they run a lot longer on a lower brightness.

More than two years ago I got two AA Zebralight headlamps, one for wife and one for me. I've used mine daily, typically many hours per day. I feed it 2500 mah Sanyo low self discharge NIMH AA's, or alternately 2000 mah Sanyo LSD batts, charged with a fancy charger. The max output is 200 lumens, with a couple of lower settings. It doesn't even look close to wearing out. Still works perfectly and the anodized finish doesn't even look bunged up though it gets dropped down on the desk or workbench several times daily, and walks around in my pocket when it ain't on my head. I usually run it in the medium mode except when I need a lot of light. It will run most of a day or sometimes a couple of days on a battery, though it will run down in about an hour steady on high 200 lumens. But I recharge the batts and carry a spare in my pocket so its no big deal.

They also make a virtually identical flashlight version of that model (straight light head rather than angled). Just sayin, for a tiny relatively bright pocket light they sure are nice. But lately goinggear.com is showing all zebralights out of stock and other dealers have some of em but are low on stock, so maybe the company is out of business but the stock ain't all gone, dunno. Can't find web info and didn't ask goinggear why they are out of stock. They can be had on amazon. I've got such good service from the lights I'd not be askeered of buying one even if the company is belly-up.

Here's my headlamp-- http://goinggear.com/zebralight-h51-200-lumen-led-headlamp.html

And here's the equivalent pocket flashlight-- http://goinggear.com/zebralight-sc51-200-lumen-aa-led-flashlight.html

There are other zebralights in the same size and brightness ballpark that run on other size batteries, but rechargeable AA is quite convenient and safe. They also make bigger zebralights I'd been thinking about getting one, that use a single 18650 lithium cell and deliver up to 750 lumens max. Maybe I should hurry up and get one if they've quit making them-- http://goinggear.com/zebralight-h600-750-lumen-cree-xm-l-18650-headlamp.html

The Spark company makes similar size, feature, brightness small headlamps and pocket lights, that look real good, but the zebralight designs I like just a little better.

Anything crazy bright is gonna be big and run fairly short time if you run it in high mode.

My brightest light is kinda wimpy by today's standards, a Fenix TK-45 that runs on 8 AA rechargeables. "Only" 760 lumens but it has a fairly long runtime and when the dawg is barking out in the woods at night and I have to fetch him before the neighbors get grumpy, that thing sure does light up the woods. Headlamp to keep from falling over logs, holes and bushes, and the TK-45 to look for the dawg.

fenixtk45_LRG.jpg

The eye is logarithmic in nature, perceiving brightness of light, so I don't think its worth getting a brighter light unless the new one is 4 X as many lumens as the old one. If it is only 2 X as many lumens one might not even be able to tell much difference. Kinda like, if you are over-driving a 20 watt geetar amp turned on 11, then a 40 watt geetar amp turned on 11 won't be all that much louder. If the 20 watt amp ain't cutting it, then cram in better earplugs and go for a 100 watt amp.

So my next light needs to be about 3000 lumens. There are more and more fairly small lights that will do it. But unless it is a pretty big light, then it won't run very long without killing the batteries, and it won't run very long until it gets too hot to hold in yer hand unless you carry an oven mitt along with you. :)

I've had great luck with the lights from Greg McGee Engineering. They're made overseas but Greg is awesome to deal with and loves talking flashlights. He's the only US distributor/warranty provider for MTE lights. He's a gun guy as well.

I currently own 3 lights from him and all have been great.

Over at Budget Light Forum, they're calling this Heider light a rip-off. It's a Sipik 68 clone.  I have two. They're decent lights, but they can be purchased for a lot less. Those photos on the website were probably taken with a car headlights. I'd say with the zoom as tight as possible, I could probably make out a person standing 400 feet away with my little Sipiks. I paid about $9 for one and $3 for the other.

EDITED: I've bought 2-3 flashlights from FastTech.com. The little Sipik clone sells for $5.13 with shipping included on their website. These little Sipik clones are sold under all sorts of names. The zoom isnt' round by the way, it's a square of light when zoomed all the way down.

If you want a really bright LED flashlight on the cheap, the best deal going is the Home Depot Defiant 3C. It's a giant 3 C-cell flashlight for $23. It's huge, but good for seeing deer 150 yards away.

Edited by jgradyc

I run a Surefire E2D with a Veleno Designs dropin LED and a Quark Mini 123.  They both max out a little over 200 lumens IIRC with the quark lasting about an hour at max and the surefire about 2.

Neither are pocket rockets but it's hard to beat the Quark's output for it's size, and the surefire is pretty bomb proof (although I doubt I'd spend that much money again...)

I've got a fetish for flashlights so when I saw this deal I placed an order. Came today and it is superbright, only booger is the charger is european, a USA adapter will be needed to recharge the battery. Or use 1.2V AA batteries or find a charger for a type 1 4500 3.6V rechargeable.

Really neat, may sleep with it tonight.  :hyper:

Guest Lester Weevils

A couple of interesting coke-can sized lights, I'd like to have one or t'other but the price sticks in my craw so far. I like the Nitecore TM26 a little better just from the video review and printed specs. The Nitecore user interface seems better to me.

3500 lumens--  http://goinggear.com/nitecore-tm26-tiny-monster-quadray-oled-digital-display-3500-lumen-4-x-cree-xm-l-u2-rechargeable-flashlight.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=06VY6nsxFn8

3000 lumens--  http://goinggear.com/niteye-eye40-4-x-cree-xm-l-u2-led-3000-lumen-flashlight.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=P-nuir-JNQQ

The Super Torch in OP's link looks a LOT like this $6 one from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FC5A5Q/

I picked up the $6 one along with some other inexpensive ones there several months ago and found it to be a good flashlight with lo/high/strobe.

Since it uses a standard AA battery, I didn't bother getting rechargeables or a charger.

If it is the same one, Amazon looks to have a great delivered price!   :)

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Received the light. Miserable piece of :poop: , period. Package says 260 lumens, not nearly as bright as my 260 Guard Dog. European charger, can't even charge it up. Useless. MIGHT be worth $4.90, NOT $49.

Plus side; I e-mailed the company, and they stated their regrets, and said they would issue a full refund.

UPDATE: Received the light. Miserable piece of :poop: , period. Package says 260 lumens, not nearly as bright as my 260 Guard Dog. European charger, can't even charge it up. Useless. MIGHT be worth $4.90, NOT $49.

Plus side; I e-mailed the company, and they stated their regrets, and said they would issue a full refund.

Well... since it's gonna cost me MORE than the light to send it back, guess I'll keep it. Grrr.

Where do I find an adapter that will put the EU plug into a 'murican socket? Radio Shack?

Hey, Steel. Every go to Costco? the little and intermediate size lights you can find there use Cree lighting tech and are really great for high intensity lighting output.

I've bought several 3-pak units at roughly 20 bucks and they are great pocket lamps. Actually just dug one out of my desk. It's roughly 5" long, low, high, and strobe beams, and has 250 lumen output.

I've bought several for home/car use. Some to give to inlaws and other family, and sent DrAlarms several packs as well.

The newest one I got from Costco was a standard size unit, about 8" long. Has telescoping head to focus the beam, strobe function, a cute little SOS flash setting, and has(??? dang I forgot and threw out the packaging) 600+ lumen output. Manufactured by Feit Electric and comes in a 2-pak for 30 bucks.

I bought one just to try and am very satisfied with it. Probably will get another at some point.