TN Governor Signs Knife Rights Law

Guest gunlobbyist

Guest gunlobbyist

Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam signed SB1501 today making Tennessee the Seventh state to enact Knife Rights most important legislative initiative, Knife Law Preemption. 

SB1501, sponsored by Senator Mike Bell and with its companion bill, HB0581, sponsored by Representative Vance Dennis, repeals all existing local knife laws on the books in Tennessee and prevents cities and towns from enacting any new knife laws more restrictive than state law. 

The original bills also addressed those state laws by including a repeal on the ban on switchblades, dirks, daggers, stilettos and knives over four inches in length, but because of petty political reasons that section was stripped from the bill. The preemption section that remained and has now been signed into law is arguably more important and a huge step in the right direction. However, Knife Rights is committed to passing commonsense repeal of the ban on these knives next year.

Ok, so I have not kept up with this legislation. What changed and when does it go into effect?

Only change is that any local laws are preempted by the state ones. IOW, Possum Trot can't impose or enforce a 2" blade limit or ban locking blades or whatever.

Goes into effect July 1, unless that got amended in final version too.

- OS

So , The four inch limit is state law.  And that is still in effect.

Well a step in the right direction.

It's a huge step when you have local ordinances further restricting civilian carry. In Clarksville, TN, for example, one cannot carry a knife that has a blade exceeding the length of three inches. Preemption would null that out. That expands my rights since I'm frequenty there. I don't have to worry as much about what I carry with this.

It's definately a step in the right direction for some people. Still nowhere near the greatness of the original unamended bill. :shake:

Edited by Ted S.

Perhaps, but anyone wonder if the step is nothing more than a pitiful attempt for our politicians to get re-elected?

How is it really different than the bill they passed that says you can legally leave your weapon in your car at work but 

your employer can still just as legally fire you for doing so. There sure is a lot of value in that. 

One of the reasons O was re-elected was because he promised groups of people that if they voted for him he'd

reciprocate in kind. For instance, if you look closely there are a number of unions who voted for him and they are now

exempt from O-Care. The Mexicans went whole hog for him so they could get immigration reform.  

IMHO, we are going about this wrong because the politicians have turned voting around. By this I mean they are saying,

"look what I've done for you". The fix is to tell people running for office on the next term that you want to see a change from

what the current politicians have have done for us to what we want them to do for us.

Shelby County and the surrounding suburbs of Memphis have just gotten tagged with a +4 % property tax hike and Monday they 

want to get together to add a bit more on it. Their reason is since property taxes due to assessed home values as a result of

depreciation of the housing market is way down so all they can do is raise them. SAY WHAT! They said it themselves! The housing

market is down. People are in trouble with their homes. RAISE PROPERTY TAXES! Great fix! How about we get someone in there

that will balance the budget? Show me on Major Corporation that would run their business that way?

What taxpayer in their right mind would vote to keep these people in office? We need to tell those running against the incumbents

what we want to see happen, and not have them say what they can do for us. And, if they don't they're gone!

There is an old saying that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. We are seeing that today. The only way to change 

it is to tell the politicians, this is what we want not what you want. 

Vote em all out!! Anything less is like the definition of insanity...repeating (Voting) the same thing (for the incumbents) while expecting a different outcome.

Almost forgot during my rant...Even though those same politicians won't say it, we are already into inflation with double digit inflation right 

around the corner. You don't have to look at gun and ammo prices just go down to your local grocery stores (Krogers) and look at the 

just how much your dollar will buy.

And now that I think about it. I was in Wally World last night and looked at a 2013 gun price book. A used H&R Springfield Trap Door 45-70

in excellent condition is $379. If anyone has seen one at that price in the last few years or has one for sale at that price I'd sure like to

buy it. I'd prefer one in good condition at $275 though. LOL!!! Inflation at work! Thanks!!!

<Steps off soap box>

Lp

Edited by Lowpower

So we can carry switch blades and other assisted knives, but they can’t have a blade over 4”?

Laws mostly stay the same, no gravity knives, switchblades, etc. The big thing that past is preemtion. This will nullify local city ordinances that put further restrictions on civilian carry, such as further restrictions on blade length. Clarksville is one city with a local ordinance resticting blade length for civilian carry to 3'' or less.

The main goal of preemtion is state wide consistancy on blade carry laws.

Hopefully next year the parts that were gutted-out will pass, such as removing restrictions auto knives and blade lenght restrictions.

Edited by Ted S.
What about spring assist? The law is very vague in this( but I don't speak lawyer). Is a spring assist the same as an auto opener? I own several but don't carry due to not being sure of legality.

What about spring assist? The law is very vague in this( but I don't speak lawyer). Is a spring assist the same as an auto opener? I own several but don't carry due to not being sure of legality.

Spring assisted knives are fine. My EDC is spring assisted. From my understanding, the language for switch blades is that the automatic action must be initated by a mechanism in the handle, such as a button. In a spring assisted knife, the action is initiated from manipulating the blade, not from the handle. Therefore spring assisted knives are not switchblades.

Spring assisted knives are fine. My EDC is spring assisted. From my understanding, the language for switch blades is that the automatic action must be initated by a mechanism in the handle, such as a button. In a spring assisted knife, the action is initiated from manipulating the blade, not from the handle. Therefore spring assisted knives are not switchblades.

The federal definition of switchblades was also amended about a year ago to make clear that assisted openers are okay. Another KnifeRights.org effort, I believe.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I guess that all depends on whether you are dealing with an intelligent, reasonable LEO, or a "cowboy".