How many defensive handgun calibers do you stock?

hlb14

I did that so that I can concentrate on having plenty of both of those two calibers on hand and not have to split my resources among many.

Not me, I actually tend to hoard a couple calibers but I like having the ability to use many calibers. I like knowing that if things got crazy there is a good chance that almost any ammunition available would be useable (22/22m/32/380/9/40/38/44) I would like a 10mm, the availability of its ammo has kind of surprised me.
Guest Lester Weevils

Yep I intentionally try to limit calibers. Resisted getting a .45 1911 or .44 mag just because didn't want to hoard yet another caliber. When I was doing all the reloading steps on a dillon SDB, didn't want to get into anything that uses large pistol primers because it is not annoying to change calibers on the SDB, but is more annoying to change from small to large primers or vice-versa.

Lately been hand-priming before loading on the progressive, so nowadays that isn't an issue to stay away from .45 or .44. The hand primer switches between small and large real easy, or just spend another $20 and have a primer tool dedicated to each size.

The small-primer .45 cases that some people cuss at, also seem maybe real attractive for people who load on machines where it is aggravating to change primer setups.

I have one focus, and 3 pistols in that caliber. But, I like my other handguns too. I'll always own a S&W revolver or two, even though I almost never shoot them. If I'm gonna own the gun, I'm gonna have some ammo for it. I understand consolidating calibers. I'm just too much of a gun junkie to do it :)

Well....I didn't say I didn't have any other; I'm just talking about defensive calibers here...I'm just not going to broadcast more than necessary on an internet forums (I think they are building a FEMA camp pretty close to my subdivision). ;)

thanks guys,

I see your point, I use to believe only one caliber was needed. I was a noob. As stated, I just recieved my carry permit and am trying establish a well rounded system. Not trying to start a caliber war, just trying to get an idea of what others were doing.  I have recently come to the conclusion that it may be a good idea to be able to shoot as many different calibers as possible just because you never know what is going to happen or be available.

Oh.   My 2 cents on *that* .... one caliber, even one single handgun, is "enough".   Knowing how to operate a variety of firearms is good, and having a sense of how to shoot stuff with a stout recoil or an impossible action is important.   But a single pistol is sufficient and having a few hundred rounds of practice ammo & 50-100 defense rounds is more than enough for anything short of the end of the world.   An old saying about the guy with one gun knowing how to use it really well comes to mind...  

My advice on a "system" for a new permit holder is to carry one gun, shoot it weekly at the range if possible, get *good* with it not only accuracy but speed, drawing, reloading, etc.  That is, drill with the gun often as if you were under attack by the target.  If your range does not allow drawing, do it at home unloaded and safely, just you by yourself and pointed in a safe direction as best you can etc.  Buy or make cheap ammo and shoot it up. 

But at the end of the day the odds of you needing more than 2-3 mags worth of ammo in a lifetime should be slim.  If not, you need to consider your lifestyle or something.   I mean, I have managed to not have to fire a gun at anyone ever, and have carried one since the mid 90s, so 2 decades of not having to "use" even 1 round of ammo.  I like to shoot, and practice a lot, but with any luck I will live my life without firing a single shot at another person. 

• Like 2
Guest Wildogre

I carry either 9mm or .380 and I have enough defensive ammo for at least two full mags of everything I carry or would use in a defensive manner. Usually one mag in the gun and one mag in the pocket. 

I would like another box of .380 Golden Saber but the key is I do not need it.

Pistol  9mm  Defensive 400rnds  127gr +P / Range 1100rnds  115gr

Rifle   .223/5.56  Defensive 900rnds .77gr / Range 700rnds  55/62gr

My Glocks and AR's are my defensive weapons

Small caliber "semi defensive/hunting/hiking"  .22lr and .32ACP   I've got around 300rnds of each in various grains and styles.

Everything else is a range toy. As I buy a rifle/pistol to play with, I'll then buy some ammo for it to play with it. Other than that, I don't stock anything.

Edited by kwe45919
  • Like 1
Guest fastreb

I have a number of different weapons in different calibers for self-defense. I've broken them down into three catagories, those being Summer, Winter and Backup. I have them listed like this:

Summer : 9mm Luger, .357 Mag and .38 Super +P

Winter : .40 S&W, .44 Spcl and .45ACP

Backup : .32ACP and .38 Spcl

Except for the .32ACP (which I keep about 4 bxs of 71gr FMJ for), I'll usually test my guns with 4-5 different hollow-point loads, find the one it likes, then stock up with about 4-5 bxs of that load for that particular weapon. I also keep about 250 rds of reloads I craft for that caliber, using LSWC or FMJ, depending on revolver or pistol.

I keep 100 rounds of critical defense in 9mm,40 s&w and 45acp for self defense purposes. I have heard that hollow point ammo is not really necessary in 45acp for self defense. This line of thinking is the round itself is large enough to do the job. Is this line of thinking correct or not?
  • Like 1

I have heard that hollow point ammo is not really necessary in 45acp for self defense. This line of thinking is the round itself is large enough to do the job. Is this line of thinking correct or not?

I would say you are probably pretty well prepared if you have a large stock of fmj/hard cast lead 45acp. This is my biggest concern with a 9mm for shtf scenarios. A fmj 40, 45, 10mm has a pretty good chance of getting the job done. Also if your target is wearing soft body armor you are most likely better off with fmj anyway.

If it's for sel defence I'd recommend sticking to one platform in Calibur and Pistol.

So for me it's Glock Compacts and 9mm.

I keep 9mm and 40 calibur handy. I don't hoard it. I shoot my ammo and keep just enough to make do if I need too.

The chance you'll ever get off the 500+rounds is slim. If you do, well the bad guys suck at being bad.

9mm is my "go to" handgun round, not sure how many I have on-hand off-hand, but I do keep a list somewhere, basically three .30 caliber ammo cans full, one is full of 147gr JHP's the other two cans are full of 115gr FMJ range ammo.

My "go to" longgun is a Mossberg 590A1 so I keep several .30 caliber ammo cans full of various 12 guage rounds, slugs, 00buck, BB, #2, #4, #6, #7, #8 shot, etc since 12g is also my favorite hunting cartridge so as you can see I keep a lot of game-getting cartridges on-hand as well.

I suppose just about any firearm could be used for "defensive" purposes if need be, especially the very popular intermediate rifle cartridges like 5.56x45mm & 7.62x39mm, which while very effective are also a potential liability if you live in an area with neighbors in close proximity.

Which is one of my primary concerns, while I want something that is capable of defending myself & my family, I also don't want stray/errent rounds exiting my homes exterior walls & endangering my neighbors so if I can minimize that possibility I will (and do) so long as the cartridge I am using is also capable of the task required.

Which is why I really like 00 buck for home defense, even without it penetrating any barriers such as internal/external walls it runs out of steam relatively quickly & becomes less of a threat to my neighbors at distances at which a rifle, even one firing an intermediate round would still be very deadly.

That said I still have done my best to memorize the safest "lanes of fire" within my house with regards to where my neighbors homes are in relation to those "lanes of fire".

Granted in an emergency situation I may or may not remember or have the chance to wait until I have a safe "lane of fire", but at least I will have the "piece of mind" that I've done my absolute best to protect my neighbors from any potential stray/errent rounds if God forbid I am ever forced to use deadly force to protect myself, my family in our home from an intruder(s).
  • Like 1

.357 Magnum - 1.5k (about 500 JHP)

.38 Special - 1k (about 200 JHP)

The above feed a family of 3 revolvers and 2 rifles, used for hunting as well as self defense.

9mm - 1k (100 JHP) (My Ruger is a SHTF pistol, and otherwise a brass producer for the Makarov's)

9mm Makarov 1.5k (about 100 Hornady and 400 Silver Bear JHP)

.32ACP 500 (most of it JHP) shared with the lady of the house.

Not including reloads, reloading supplies, or emergency stash(es.)

I typically carry either the .357 LCR or one of the Makarovs, with the KelTec P-32 as backup. Each with an extra mag, or two speed loaders/strips, plus a box to reload all that in my vehicle or carry bag.

• Like 1

I keep 3 handguns that I try to keep around a 1000 of each, 9, 38/357 and 45. And about 1000 .223/5.56, haven't been shooting much lately because it so hard to find replacement product for what went downrange. In a few years when this moron we have in the White House leaves and rounds start to get on store shelfs again I plan to stock a good bit more. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I see a lot of folks shoot 12 gauge through their handguns. Quite macho, I must say.  And seems 'bout every other person has an AR pistol too?

I narrowed down "defensive handguns" to only 9mm and .357/.38 good long while ago. Makes it simpler to allocate funds and get a stash.

And no, I don't consider .22LR as "defense", but I have some handguns in that also. And I do have an AR pistol, but certainly don't consider it a "handgun" like the ATF does.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot