New AR - red dot flickering on and off

Guest confidence

Guest confidence

I bought a brand new AR-15 a few days ago and am having trouble with the red dot sight it came with. I fired 20 rounds with no problem and then it started flickering on and off at random even with a new battery. Then it started turning on and off with each shot you take, as though the recoil of the gun itself was causing the issue. I put the gun away after that but the next day I got it out and the sight works perfectly. Strange. I am new to AR's. Am I doing something wrong? Should I just take it back to the gun store and ask them to make it right?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Guest confidence

This is indeed a Bushmaster Carbon. I looked all over the sight and can't find a brand name on it. All I see is "Made in China", which can't be a good sign...

Guest confidence

Hmmm...Reading a few things online that are negative with the Bushmaster Carbon. It has a polymer lower and people are saying they crack and not to shoot steel cased ammo, etc. Hmm. What's your take?

Hmmm...Reading a few things online that are negative with the Bushmaster Carbon. It has a polymer lower and people are saying they crack and not to shoot steel cased ammo, etc. Hmm. What's your take?

Personally, I haven't heard anyone complain about them. Then again, I don't personally know anyone that owns one. I can't say that I've read any horror stories on here or the other 1 or 2 sites I frequent.

Guest confidence

Just called the store and they said to come down and they would "try to find a resolution". I hope that means they are going to pull a red dot off the shelf and stick it on there for free. I'll be going there this afternoon and will try to update...

Guest sL1k

I have shot everything out of my carbon 15 with no issues. The first batch they made had some issues with cracking.
I have no complaints out of mine.
Mine came with a Bushnell red dot. I did have the battery cover vibrate loose while shooting and it caused the issues described (my fault for making it finger tight).

I have had this problem before. What I did was to apply some Dielectric Grease to the battery connection. It worked great for me. You can get it at any auto parts store.

Yeah but he just bought the rifle. Slather some on the internals and bushmaster/LGS may very well say it's been tampered with. Best to let them make good on it and save this trick for 3 years later when it's acting up.

***edit*** can't type!

Edited by NoBanStan
Guest confidence

Brought it back to the gun store and they replaced the red dot with no trouble!! Thanks for the input, everybody!