FFL transfers

Guest Voodoo_1

Guest Voodoo_1

Last week while calling around for a FFL to transfer my new HK, I ran across many FFL dealers that had developed an attitude with doing this.

The first dealer I called was the one I bought my Beretta and Mossberg from. He said "sure we will tranfer the HK from CDNN to you. We charge 15% of the new purchase price plus $10.00 for the state" ($106.00). No thanks.

The next dealer said "yea I'll do it for $79.95 plus $10.00 to the state but I would rather you let me call my wholesaler and get you one instead of you buying over the internet." Told him what I was paying CDNN for the gun and he went off "hell that is below my damn cost, on second thought the transfer will be $100.00 plus $10.00 to the state." No thanks.

The next dealer, the one I was in last saturday and spotted the gun I wanted would not even consider transfering the gun. The one he had in the glass case like mine (display gun) was marked down from $850.00 to $760.00.

I bought mine from CDNN for $640.00 and no tax. He said you can buy this one or nothing from us. Two weeks ago I spent $200.00 for ammo in that joint, never again.

Then I called Range USA. They were very friendly and said they would be glad to transfer the HK for me for $50.00. I told the gentleman I would be there monday morning to set this up. The gentleman said he was sorry but they were closed on mondays.

So I tried (1) last place. Walked in the door and told the counter employee what I wanted to do and he pointed at a sign on the side of the counter that said "All FFL transfers will cost 15% of the new purchase price plus $10.00 to the state." Does this sound familar? I told him, no thanks that I had someone lined up that would transfer the gun for a flat $50.00. He said "what idiot is going to do this? (with an angry tone). Told him and he said oh hell I'll do it for $50.00. He then looked at his co-owner and said "we just need to get rid of all this sh*t, shut this place down and just do internet transfers. I asked him "are you sure you want to do this for me, and he said why not I need the 50 bucks".

Moral of this long story, all my tranfers will go through Range USA even if I have to wait a couple of more days to get my firearm.

Are any of you guys experiencing this change in attitude and price (was $35.00 back in November) in your parts of the state?:up:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked the listing of transfer agents on Auction Arms (at least I think that was where I found it) and they had a listing for a local guy who will do the transfers for $15 plus the $10 state fee. Bought my AK that way long ago.

Having said that, I try to support my local gun dealers when I can.

• Administrator

There's a gun shop nearby that does something similar in respect to % of sale price + fee. I don't do business with them as a result of that. I can understand that a guy has to make some money, but this is a service that really doesn't cost them anything. They have no overhead involved and only clerical work with filing the appropriate papers with the ATF and the State background check.

I like to support the local gun shops too. I've done so quite a bit. But I am also not scared to look on the Internet and see if there is a better deal. My decision process generally goes like this:

1. Add cost of Internet gun + shipping + FFL fee + TBI background check.

2. Compare to cost of gun locally + tax + background check.

3. Are they within $50 of each other?

3a. If so, buy locally

3b. If not, buy from the Internet.

If the local guy can't or won't compete for my business within reason, then I take my business elsewhere.

Guest Voodoo_1
I can understand that a guy has to make some money, but this is a service that really doesn't cost them anything. They have no overhead involved and only clerical work with filing the appropriate papers with the ATF and the State background check.

Exactly my thoughts, I was in and out of his store in less than 30 minutes.

• Administrator

On Target in M'Boro is presently charging annual range members $30 for the whole transfer process and I believe that includes the TBI check. To me, that is a perfect example of good customer service.

These folks who charge a % of the sale price are sending a very clear message to the customer: We don't like it that you bought from someone else and we're going to punish you for it so that next time you just buy directly from us instead.

Well, message received and understood! When you rape me on an incoming FFL transfer, I'll use someone else not only for that but for everything.

Guest pherman926

For those of us in Nashville check out Bellshire Hardware Company 3870 Dickerson Pike Nashville, TN 37207, (615) 860-4212. I got a Browning Hi-Power transfered there and it was $30 background check included. He will also quote prices on guns he can order for you.

In Kingston (30min west of Knoxville) Frontier Firearms will do it for $25, no problems.

I don't understand why some FFLs don't want to do it. I know they would rather that you buy a new gun from them, but it's still easy money. I've never been an FFL holder but I can't see the down side for them. They do a little bit of paperwork and get paid. If the gun is not as advertised, it's not their problem (that's between you and the seller). If I'm missing something, somebody enlighten me. I just don't get it.

Guest db99wj

I don't understand why some FFLs don't want to do it. I know they would rather that you buy a new gun from them, but it's still easy money. I've never been an FFL holder but I can't see the down side for them. They do a little bit of paperwork and get paid. If the gun is not as advertised, it's not their problem (that's between you and the seller). If I'm missing something, somebody enlighten me. I just don't get it.

Exactly what I was thinking. I guess you could argue that they want you to buy it through them, but you are not, you found a deal, you are going to do it, with whomever it goes to, why not get paid for a little bit of your time and make something off the deal.

Guest Phantom6

I think Frontier has gone up $10 bucks but even still, $35 is quite reasonable. Talked to a buddy of mine that owns a shop in Oak Ridge (Charlie's Knives and Guns)and he said a transfer is not only the easiest $35 that he makes but also just plain good customer service. I certainly would have to agree with that. I wouldn't darken the door of some asshat (if I might borrow that term) that tried to charge me a percentage of the sale price or a flat $100 fee to transfer a damned firearm. IMHO they are just slitting their own wrists with that kind of customer service attitude.

I think that's it Phantom6. As everything in the gun trade, there are always other places to buy shooting items, whether it is a gun, ammo, or other shooting gear.

A dealer may not make as much on a gun sale by doing a reasonably priced transfer, but the good will is likely to bring the buyer back for other goodies.

Then I called Range USA. They were very friendly and said they would be glad to transfer the HK for me for $50.00. I told the gentleman I would be there monday morning to set this up. The gentleman said he was sorry but they were closed on mondays.

Voodoo, no need to wait 'till Tuesday to "set it up". Go to the ranges website (www.rangeusa.com) and find the FFL transfer form. you can print this off and fax, or email it in to the range. Let your seller know where the gun is going to and it will be done. The $50.00 fee is due when the gun comes in.

For those of us in Nashville check out Bellshire Hardware Company 3870 Dickerson Pike Nashville, TN 37207, (615) 860-4212. I got a Browning Hi-Power transfered there and it was $30 background check included. He will also quote prices on guns he can order for you.
I have been going to Phil for 5+ years. Great FFL prices, and I have yet to come across someone who can beat his price on most new guns.
Guest macho999

It's 20 bucks altogether in Tazewell, TN. I only do the transfers if I'm buying from an individual. If it's something he doesn't stock and I can't find anywhere else I don't mind paying 5-10% over CDNN. It ensures he'll be there when I need him again.

Dan at Hero Gear will transfer a firearm for me for $25 everything included. He says that it's easy money to make a phone call for a background check, get a gun in the mail, and do a couple minutes of paperwork. The shops that charge you a percentage of the new price are just pissed that you didn't buy it from them and still want to make their cut on it.

Dan at Hero Gear will transfer a firearm for me for $25 everything included. He says that it's easy money to make a phone call for a background check, get a gun in the mail, and do a couple minutes of paperwork. The shops that charge you a percentage of the new price are just pissed that you didn't buy it from them and still want to make their cut on it.

Next gun I buy will be thru Dan... Spent a healthy 45min with me up there on Saturday just researching options and letting me handle what they had. Joe has good people up there.

The least amount that I have ever paid for an FFL transfer was at a pawn shop in Tullahoma... $10 (plus the phone call). Most of the shops in this area are pretty low in that regard, compared to Murfreesboro & Nashville.

Guest utarch00
I have been going to Phil for 5+ years. Great FFL prices, and I have yet to come across someone who can beat his price on most new guns.

I am going to Phil because of this guy.

Guest RobTN

I've dealt with Phil before as well. Excellent experience.