Chattanooga area shooting ranges

I've searched the forums and only found limited information so here goes.  Where in the Chattanooga area is good for pistol shooting?  Are there any indoor ranges that are not membership only?  Also post up any outdoor ranges.  I understand Prentice Cooper is still closed.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Shooters Depot has a nice, and new, indoor range.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the advice.  I've checked with them and they are $25 for 1/2 hour.  Anyone have any other suggestions........someone that is reasonably priced?

I understand Prentice Cooper is still closed. 

Thought I saw a post about somebody shooting there just the other day?

"Due to inclement weather, Prentice Cooper Shooting Range Closure has been extended. The original re-open date was scheduled for Thursday May 2; however the project will not be finished until mid-May. We expect our re-open date to be May 16. If the project is completed before then, we'll post that information online. The range information line is (423) 658-9201."

http://www.tn.gov/twra/firingranges.html

- OS

Carter's on hwy 58 has a range. I've never been, so don't know more than that.

Volunteer ordnance works in Cleveland has a new range. Again I never have used it, so I have no other info. I've made some purchases in the store and they seem to be good guys, but that was over a year ago.

I believe there is(was) a range on Hixson Pike near Coverdale road(?). Never been there.

If you buy a year membership at shooters, for $165, and shoot at least 10x thru the year, it's $.16.50 per trip ... Pretty sure it's unlimited shoot time. Im a member there, only reason I know a bit more about them.
Guest WJStaff
I am a member at Shooters too. I opted for the premium membership since you save 15% on all ammo and accessories plus you get extended hours for range time. With the savings, I have more than made up for the difference in price. I'll take you there if you wanna shoot, that way you can see if you will like it.

I am a member at Shooters too. I opted for the premium membership since you save 15% on all ammo and accessories plus you get extended hours for range time. With the savings, I have more than made up for the difference in price. I'll take you there if you wanna shoot, that way you can see if you will like it.

I'm the same way. Their membership is more than worth it. Plus the guys there are great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

if you go a lot, shooter's depo is very nice.  It is one of the ONLY indoor ranges that makes even a pretense of ventilation.  Some of the others, one mag and you have to leave if you do not have an oxygen tank.  

Its pricy for one trip, but a year membership is very reasonable (again, if you want to go often).

The only other places I would even think about going are outdoors. 

• Like 1
Guest RevScottie

www.chrpc.com show up at a meeting on the 2nd or 4th Tuesday and fill out an app.Dues are $100 a year which runs Jan-Dec.By far the best range in the Chatt. area for handgun shooting

I hear that they have so many events scheduled on weekends that it is difficult to get range time then?

Guest Lester Weevils

I went to prentice cooper weekend before last on saturday and it was locked up. The cardboard handwritten sign said range improvements under way, expect re-open toward end of May. Perhaps it is open by now, dunno.

Shooters Depot indoor range is OK and has pretty good hours if you pay the $250.

Haven't shot at Sportsmans Supply in hixon for several years but it was a nice indoor range the times I shot there. Some people think Carl is too grumpy but I like him fine. My complaints about that indoor range are minor and might be different nowadays-- My eyes are not great and the lighting was a little dim for my taste, and the business hours are somewhat limited. Shooters Depot is brighter lighted than the last times I shot at Sportsman's Supply.

But I like shooting outside, preferably as "alone as possible". Prentice Cooper is less than 15 minutes from my house and half the time I show up hardly anybody is there. OTOH other times the place is packed three-deep in idiots. Wish I lived out in the country and could shoot in the back yard.

Or if they would make PC membership only and maybe even put in a range officer, assuming the officer is a mellow person who only gives idiots a hard time. I've never shot much at places with a RO, but have read tales of some places where the RO gives everybody a hard time, not just the idiots. Which is only hearsay of course.

edit: One thing I noticed about the lighting at shooters depot-- I didn't study the exact way it is set up and it probably isn't "high tech", but noticed that it was real easy to see both the targets and the sights on all my pistols. PC has sheds you shoot under, and the range is oriented so the sun is at your back in the morning (but blocked by the back of the sheds) and the sun is right in your eyes in the afternoon. Shooting from under the shade into bright outdoor light, even if the sun isn't in your eyes, I have a very difficult time properly seeing my sights.

Edited by Lester Weevils

Or if they would make PC membership only and maybe even put in a range officer, assuming the officer is a mellow person who only gives idiots a hard time. I've never shot much at places with a RO, but have read tales of some places where the RO gives everybody a hard time, not just the idiots. Which is only hearsay of course.

I have visited a range in Florida that is useless. Wait three seconds between shots, no holster draw shooting, just shoot paper targets and lay the gun on the bench. It is really boring and really unpractical. It is a county run facility with retired LEO's as RO. PC may get dangerous at times but it's still better.

I have visited a range in Florida that is useless. Wait three seconds between shots, no holster draw shooting, just shoot paper targets and lay the gun on the bench. It is really boring and really unpractical. It is a county run facility with retired LEO's as RO. PC may get dangerous at times but it's still better.

Pretty much how John Sevier TWRA range in Knoxville is run. And you can get flogged for loud talking, too. Really.

- OS

Pretty much how John Sevier TWRA range in Knoxville is run. And you can get flogged for loud talking, too. Really.

- OS

Makes the range at the North Cumberland wma not seem so bad. A few idiots occasionally and no one seems to know how to take their trash with them, but it's generally not crowded and no range officers to police the place.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Im a member at shooter's depot as well. Its really good for pistol's, not so much rifle.

They dont allow shotguns, and rifles are allowed but pretty much only 22 's and 223/556. No 7.62x39. No handguns above 44mag.

Because of the reasons listed above, I've thought about letting my membership expire and moving over to Carter's off 58. They allow shotguns, and one of my favorite guns to shoot is my Saiga 12.

Shooter's depot is a nice facility, and the people are really nice too, if you are just wanting to shoot pistol's with an occasional 223, that'd be the place imo.
Guest Lester Weevils

- OS

The posted rules at PC say paper targets only. But if rule-breaker shotgunners haven't tore down the target holders, the target holders are nice and big, and there is "lots of room" to stand and shoot in, compared to lanes in an indoor range. I like to put up several targets in a grid and practice raising the pistol then double-tap more than one target. Which theoretically should improve ability to bring a pistol on target and shift aim to other targets. The practice doesn't make me much better though it is fun to make the gun go bang anyway. The target stands are big enough to spread out several targets on half of a stand and shoot at all of them, preserving a perfectly safe angle into the berm.

Have seen people put up short-distance portable target stands a few yards out into the rifle lanes, presumably to practice both pistol and rifle without having to pack up and change lanes. Dunno if that "breaks the rules" or not. If done responsibly it doesn't seem dangerous, because it is still a "paper target" and any shot at the portable stand 15 yards out, will definitely either hit the ground beyond or the rifle berm beyond.

Steel or moving targets would be great, but most likely a safety hazard at a public range? Those irresponsible shotgunners who sneak in to break the rules and shoot and destroy valuable materials in the target stands with just a few shots. They sure could make a mess shooting at steel. But if they got lucky maybe a ricochet would put their eye out. :)

I think vandalism (destroying infrastructure either intentionally or out of sheer stupidity and selfishness) is maybe the worst problem at PC. It gets the rangers mad having to repair the tore-up stuff, is expensive, and ordinary responsible shooters show up to find target holders too tore up to use for legit shooting.

If the vandalism could be solved, then as you say, if the only choices would be either occasionally risk being shot by an idiot, or install a strict RO that wouldn't allow responsible people to have any fun-- Then risking the occasional idiot would be preferable. If they make it so "safe and supervised" that you can't enjoy a leisurely hour or two shooting, then a fella wouldn't want to go there even if it was open and in good repair.

..If they make it so "safe and supervised" that you can't enjoy a leisurely hour or two shooting, then a fella wouldn't want to go there even if it was open and in good repair.

John Sevier TWRA verges on that. And especially since it's not  free like PC.

- OS

Guest Brutnus

I am in the same boat. I don't want to drop $250 dollars just to wait in line to shoot. We need a nice open field for shooting in the Chattanooga area.

I hear that they have so many events scheduled on weekends that it is difficult to get range time then?

I'm retired so I can shoot during the week anytime I want.  With covered firing lines you can shoot in light rain if you want to.

The Cowboys shoot every third Saturday and all the pistol ranges are reserved until we get done, usually about 1:00 or so.  Long range rifle is reserved that day until they finish that shoot, usually about 9:00 am.

Skeet shoots are held on Sundays from 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm and on Tuesdays at 5:30 pm during daylight saving time. No shoots are held on holidays or holiday weekends, when raining or below 40 degrees.

I don't see IDPA or 3 Gun on the website but contact info is there.  Most events are usually shot in the morning leaving the ranges open after they finish.  Most people don't want to shoot an all day/heat of the afternoon match.  Evening events are rare but there is a HCP class this Thursday and Friday from 6-9 p.m. that I'll help RO.  The CHRPC has worked hard to offer classes on every possible day of the week to encourage people to get the permit.

Cherokee Slim

Guest sL1k

Im a member at shooter's depot as well. Its really good for pistol's, not so much rifle.

They dont allow shotguns, and rifles are allowed but pretty much only 22 's and 223/556. No 7.62x39. No handguns above 44mag.

Because of the reasons listed above, I've thought about letting my membership expire and moving over to Carter's off 58. They allow shotguns, and one of my favorite guns to shoot is my Saiga 12.

Shooter's depot is a nice facility, and the people are really nice too, if you are just wanting to shoot pistol's with an occasional 223, that'd be the place imo.

I had a membership at Carter's and one of the owners christies husband I believe said you can shoot a 50 bmg if you can stand the percussion lol
The range is a little dim at times but cheap.
  • 2 years later...