Cannon or Winchester Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Guest AmericanWorkMule

I just wanted some experienced advice since I've never owned let alone even looked at safes before.
I'm just wanting something under $1k that one would think could deter the "common" criminal or some druggie relative.

TSC is having a Memorial Day sale:

$550 - Cannon TS6026E Challenger Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/cannon-ts6026e-challenger-gun-safe-24-gun-capacity

$650 Winchester® Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/winchesterreg%3B-gun-safe-24-gun-capacity

Unlike the Winchester, the Cannon lists an interesting Warranty:
    Zero Cost repair or replacement of safe after a Fire, Natural Flood or Burglary attack?
    Lock Warranty: 1 year labor, lifetime parts replacement

And Certified Fire Protection
    1,200°F for 30 minutes
    Triple fin intumescent cold smoke expandable seal that expands many times its size when exposed to heat

I have a Cannon and a Winchester both bought from TSC. The Winchester is a much better safe IMHO. Check the size and number of locking bolts on the doors of both safes. Winchester bolts on all 4 sides of the door, The Cannon I have does not have bolts top or bottom. Also the Winchester weights 150 lbs. more. If you can compare them side by side you can see the difference.

If you're in/near Nashville, really ought to give the guys at The Safe House a call.

That said, the Winchester is also rated to 1400 degrees for 30 minutes. It has a limited lifetime warranty, and TSC has a link to that warranty on the more information page.

The winchester is UL listed for burgulary. The Cannon doesn't appear to be.

Internal hinges on the Cannon mean the door clearance is less. Basically reduces the ease of access to the safe for you. Don't make getting into your safe a chore.

If I had to choose, I'd buy the winchester.

BUT - as I said first, contact the guys at The Safe House. My buddy has bought from them twice, and now that he's on his third safe, he hates that he's moved to Memphis because he can't reasonably buy from them. Heck, even then you might want to call em. They know their safes.Way better than I do.

The Winchester. Since I work for TSC I had the opportunity to open up the door panels of both. The Winchester has a drill protection plate the cannon does not. Along with the other stuff that has already been posted it makes it a much better buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Guest AmericanWorkMule

I guess I am old school but can you still get safes with the old dial instead of a electronic keypad?
I'd rather have the time tested than new gadget.

If you're in/near Nashville, really ought to give the guys at The Safe House a call.

Good advice here, I have a product from them.

Good people, give them a shout.

I guess I am old school but can you still get safes with the old dial instead of a electronic keypad?

I "was" like you, till tried the new fangled one, I like the new stuff better.

I bought the Winchester safe from TSC about two years ago. I have zero complaints with it. (except it must be shrinking because there's less room in it now than there was ;)). It was heavier than it looked when I installed it. However, once open, the door removes easily and helps with the weight.

Yes sir. I have two of them. I would also suggest buying one larger than you think you need.

+1 to the safe house. I bought a browning bronze br41 type and have been quite happy. I actually have stuffed MORE guns in it than it says it can hold. It's got a dial which I am fine with.

Check them out and you may find a special like I did on a one of a kind or even a used safe. They deliver and install for a fair price, which is huge. Nothing worse than having a safe and it not be properly secured.
Guest AmericanWorkMule

I'm sure I wouldn't be that rough on a safe if I had to install it myself. :rofl:

Don't want to scare you but this is what can be done to both of those safes in a very short period of time

I'd urge you to spend a few extra bucks and buy a Liberty safe.

Compare one to the Winchester and Canon and you'll see why.

I have both of these safes and there really is no comparison. But the Liberty also cost 3xs as much. Get there early or you will have a rain check at TSC for around 4 months

check with parker's safes and vaults in shelbyville.  they beat all other in the price for the size range and install price.  they travel all over the state and other areas.  they carry champion and superior safes.  both are made in the usa, not in mexico.  

I looked at both of those TSC safes and went with the Winchester. A better safe wasn't in the budget and I HAD to get something. The Winchester has more and thicker bolts, better fire protection, considerably heavier, better laid out, etc. TSC had the Cannon for $500 and the Winchester for $550 during black Friday. No brainer for me.

I'm in mine at least twice a day, usually more, and the electronic lock works best for me. Ideally my next safe will have both.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Don't want to scare you but this is what can be done to both of those safes in a very short period of time

I can do that with most safes. Even a liberty. If someone wants to donate one to me I'll make a video to post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Actually Champion DOES make most of their safes in Mexico now.  The only models still made in the U.S.A are the Triumph, Crown and the higher end Superior safes.  They are moving more and more of their product line to Mexico.  I still think they make a good safe for the money that is why we still sell them.  As for Parker having the lowest prices on Champion or Superior that is incorrect , we will match or beat any price they have.  We have been carrying Champion safes since the company started and have more experience with the brand than any company in the southeast. 

I picked up the Winchester 24 gun safe at TSC this weekend. I like it, very sturdy feeling and customizable interior. Took a while to get it inside and properly installed (just me and a buddy, be much easier with more people or moving dolly or furniture pads) but it looks great. I really like the electronic keypad vs messing with a combination. My only gripe is there is not a backup method (key) to open the safe but that is minor - keep some extra batteries around and change every couple of months.

Guest RedLights&Sirens
I like my Cannon Challenger. I cant give any comparisions because it is my first and only so far. Im not confident in it storing 24 guns but I only own one handgun and two long guns so far. It already looks crowded with a 91/30 and 16" AR in there on one side.

Then again Im probably just wishing I bought a bigger safe for an excuse to buy more guns. Not that I need an excuse.

I picked up the Winchester 24 gun safe at TSC this weekend. I like it, very sturdy feeling and customizable interior. Took a while to get it inside and properly installed (just me and a buddy, be much easier with more people or moving dolly or furniture pads) but it looks great. I really like the electronic keypad vs messing with a combination. My only gripe is there is not a backup method (key) to open the safe but that is minor - keep some extra batteries around and change every couple of months.

You could just wait for the battery to go dead since it's accessible from the outside to change. That's my plan, anyway.

[url="http://winchestersafes.com/faq.aspx"]Winchester FAQ[/URL]

5 - If my battery goes dead, will I lose my combination?
No, you will not lose your combination. The combination is retained in the lock even after power is lost. Simply install a new battery and operate the lock in a normal manner. Make sure you only use a 9-volt ALKALINE ENERGIZER® or DURACELL® battery.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest safes
Southland Safes in Haleyville Alabama is one of the oldest dealers in the southeast for Champion safes. Champion and Superior safes are made in USA and Mexico We also have great prices on these safes 205-486-2320, Edited by safes

check with parker's safes and vaults in shelbyville.  they beat all other in the price for the size range and install price.  they travel all over the state and other areas.  they carry champion and superior safes.  both are made in the usa, not in mexico.  

Hi there. Just a little clarification.

Champion and Superior make all of their mid to upper end safes in Provo, Utah. They do manufacture some in Mexico. Specifically speaking, the Crown and Triumph Series from the Champion line and the Master, Superior, Ironside, and Untouchable from Superior are all made in the U.S.A.,while the remaining safes from either company are made in Nogales, Mexico. It disappoints me that they're made in Mexico but it's still a far cry better than China. They are both good companies with years of experience designing and producing quality safes. The owner originally started both Fort Knox NS liberty Safe Companies.

Thank you for the plug by the way! It's very much appreciated.