Boy Scouts Allow Gays

You're right, Mac, but not all, but there were a lot who all of a sudden just decided that they were gay, also.

I could suddenly "decide" I was gay too, but the libido is the determiner. It wants a female, or a male, or both, or in rare cases none of the above.. To put it poetically, the angle of one's dangle must match the desired heat of the meat, or it's just a word.

Those "sudden" decisions probably really aren't. They come about after periods of confusion and/or denial that likely have more to do with bisexual tendencies, different rates of pubescent development, and of course all the issues of guilt, conformity, practicality, acceptance, and other such complicated issues involved with societal norms. But ultimately the libido has the final say.

Doesn't much matter whether the cause is nature or nurture or some interaction of both -- human sexual response is complicated, but ultimately is not a conscious a la carte selection for gays or straights. You can choose to call your goober a duck, but that alone won't make it quack. :)

- OS

I could suddenly "decide" I was gay too, but the libido is the determiner. It wants a female, or a male, or both, or in rare cases none of the above.. To put it poetically, the angle of one's dangle must match the desired heat of the meat, or it's just a word.

- OS

I don't think that absolutely sums it up. Situational homosexuality, such as in prisons, is quite common. Having spent many years in the Middle East I have come to believe that such an environment exists in their culture that having sex with young men and boys is due to their repression of natural urges toward women, which is done for the sake of religion and what is accepted to be "appropriate". Granted, it is NOT okay for there to be open displays of homo affection, but once the moon god is out all bets are off I guess. Since women are so segregated from men, I suppose men don't find themselves in many situations where they are alone with a female unless it is a family member; based on my understanding molestation of young girls by male family members is also rampant. Also rampant is rape in general. Funny how all that would be avoided if their culture just accepted that banging chicks (consentingly) is what was intended all along.

So I guess what I'm saying is that many, many folks engage in homosexual activity though they may not be attracted to the same sex. It is done for a lack of options. To say that having gay sex proves one's attraction to men would be like saying a person masturbates because they are attracted to their hand. I mean, explain the Roman culture. I'm in season 3 of Spartacus and have been traumatized.

Personally, I'll be glad when this topic blows over and we can get back to debating something that engenders far less passion...you know...like the Zimmerman trial...at least that is actually a "firearm related" topic which, frankly, this one isn't.   ;)

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

Personally, I'll be glad when this topic blows over and we can get back to debating something that engenders far less passion...you know...like the Zimmerman trial...at least that is actually a "firearm related" topic which, frankly, this one isn't.   ;)

It isn't? Have we been reading the same thread? The one I have been reading has been mostly filled with folks getting their panties in a bunch about where other folks are shooting their guns.
  • Like 4

I am 100% certain that ALL homosexuals who live a homosexual lifestyle do so because they've chosen to do so (i.e., no one forces them to act on their sexual impulses/desires; what one does with ones sexual impulses and desires is always a choice).

I am 100% certain that SOME homosexuals are homosexuals only because they have decided to be (either because of the way they were raised or because of disappointments with heterosexual relationships or a variety of other reasons).

I am also 100% certain the most people who are homosexual are that way (sexually attracted to the same sex) because they are "wired" that way just as heterosexuals are "wired" to be attracted to the opposite sex.

I understand that many (not all) Christian faiths consider homosexual sex immoral but I've yet to read anywhere in scripture where simply being attracted to the same (or the opposite sex for that matter) is, by itself, a "sin".

Moreover, I don't believe ANY of this has any place in scouting.  Sexual activity has no place in scouting...what sex a boy is actually attracted to or thinks he is attracted to, I submit, is immaterial and irrelevant.

I have to agree with you on this Robert. Part of the sin is acting on a sinful impulse or idea. I have no doubts that there are some "born" gay, but that doesn't mean they should act on those impulses. In the same way many are born with attractions to alcohol and drug addiction doesn't mean that we condone it because they were "born" that way and make special laws just for them.

Homosexuality is a sin in the same vein as gluttony (my issue), stealing, murder, covetousness, ...... and like you Robert I am saddened that we can be selective in our application of "righteousness", however as I have said many times before - one human's sin cannot be a justification for someone else's sin.

If sin is relative then, yes, uneven application matters, but if truth is absolute then uneven application is irrelevant.  It's like when my daughter tries to justify why she hit her brother, because he made her mad. They're both wrong.

I don't think that absolutely sums it up. Situational homosexuality, such as in prisons, is quite common. ..

I'll concede that type addendum/exception to my statements, which were made regarding general society. But it's really an induced psychosis due to lack of choice, as you point out..

A fascinating book I read many years ago, The Human Zoo, would support that. (by Desmond Morris, who wrote the better known The Naked Ape).

Basic premise of The Human Zoo is that modern society makes us live in such an unnatural environment with regard to population density, lack of physical effort for livelihood and problem solving, lack of clear cut choices, etc,  that our species exhibits neuroses/psychoses in much the same way as do animals in the unnatural confines of a zoo.

Both books are fascinating reads, think I'll revisit them.

- OS

Guest TankerHC

Sorry if this is in the above. I didnt read every post. I was also a Scout (Cub Scout, Webelos,  and Scout (First Class) back in the 70's. As well as a long time member in the Red Shield Boys Club, where I earned my first NRA patch (youth Hunter Safety Course) back around 73. Anyway, I think I just read the reason the Scouts may have caved. They didnt cave to the Homosexual Lobby, they caved to the Federal Government.

Of course the membership requirements were upheld by the SCOTUS as a Private organizations Freedom of Association, and they received no Federal Funds. However they were told if they did not allow openly gay individuals, they would be blocked from the use of Federal Lands.

look it up.

Should also note, Im still proud of what my troop (And a lot of others) did back then. When Hurricane Agnes hit in '72, our Troop and a lot of other Troops humped a lot of miles, a lot of kids, humped a lot of miles helping people, cleaning up the mess and checking houses. Each Troop was given a route, we walked all the way from Baltimore (East Avenue) all the way out to Catonsville and also were sent to walk all the way through Patapsco State Park. Our first route was only 15 miles. Our second was about 7. Out and back. Doesnt sound like much, but we were 9 and 10 years old.

Dont know if Scouts (Any of them) still do things like that. I was in MS during Katrina and didnt see a single Scout. Havent been involved in Scouting in about 36 years.

Edited by TankerHC