I am getting old FAST!

I had yet another DR. Appt today and I think my body is quitting on me. I went in last week for
what I thought was a heart attack. It ended up being extremely high BP. Then I go in today becausey knee was really swollen and extremely painful. I found out I have a minuscus tear and have a sergical consult in the morning. While looking at my X-rays the Dr. said that I have the worst knee she has ever seen. It is so bad they are looking into replacement. The really sad part is I have always felt that was my good knee. I just can't believe after all the years of no issues this all came about in 8 days. Oh we'll I guess it just means I get to spend more time with the kids. Edited by LI0NSFAN
You better get a diff doctor, I had a doctor tell me the same thing one time and it was so bad I needed to do something soon as I could when did I want to setup sergery . went to another doctor did not say any thing about being at the other doctor , had him ck out my knee , low and behold gave me some crunches to me to stay off of it for a month gave me some meds and set me up for physical therapy been fine ever since that was 10 years ago.

I had yet another DR. Appt today and I think my body is quitting on me. I went in last week for
what I thought was a heart attack. It ended up being extremely high BP. Then I go in today becausey knee was really swollen and extremely painful. I found out I have a minuscus tear and have a sergical consult in the morning. While looking at my X-rays the Dr. said that I have the worst knee she has ever seen. It is so bad they are looking into replacement. The really sad part is I have always felt that was my good knee. I just can't believe after all the years of no issues this all came about in 8 days. Oh we'll I guess it just means I get to spend more time with the kids.

Welcome to my world....

Lp

I'd get a second opinion before any surgery. Part of being old also comes with the "don't get over surgery quick" clause.

I know what you mean though. About a year ago sometime informed me I was balding... I had no idea.... then immediately I noticed my rotator cuff is hurting, my knee pops and I now have a hiatal hernia!!!

Better get that 401k rolling......jeez.

• Like 2

I told myself I wanted my body to be flat worn out by the time I die. Problem is I am way ahead of schedule now.

I had "issues" in my 20's and they have only gotten worse over time. I have always tried to put off what I could. I was diagnosed with a torn miniscus in 1999 and I just deal with it. I had knee surgery in the 80's and prefer not to do that again. I was 35 when I had my shoulder surgery and 36 when I had my hip surgery. And then there is the back issue that has slowed me down to a crawl.

I guess it is self correcting, you go as hard and fast as you can then the injuries slow you down enough to keep you from getting hurt again.

Guest Wildogre

When I had my 30 year physical in the Army the doctor said that I had a body in the top 3% of all 40 year olds in the US. "But Doc I am 30" I said. His answer was chronologically yes, physiologically no. That was 25 years ago. 

So far no surgery's but I do carry a cane in the car and need it several times a year. 

Agree with Stan, I need a hip and knee both but my ortho surgeon said he wants to wait until the last poosible time since I'm in my thirties. He said on average the knee/hips last 20 years and that could mean 2 replacements.

Get a second opinion

I avoid doctors, so all of this is foreign to me....:)

Definitely see another doctor. Could just be bad arthritis. I went by a different doc than normal because of some elbow pain. I already had one surgery on it. Doc said it was compleatly gone and would never be right again. Saw my regular orthopedic doc and it was a little chipped bone and authritis. One more surgery and its been good since. If your near nashville go to Baptist hospital and go to to Elite Sports Medicine. Best guys around. My Doc is Burton Elrod he's great and also the Titans doc.

No surgery! the doctor does not like to cut open a knee on anyone under 45 unless completely necessary. I am to take it easy this weekend and see him on Monday and if it still looks the same I will be able to get back on my feet next week.

Edited by LI0NSFAN

My mom used to say if you go to the doctor, they'll find something wrong that needs fix'n......getting her to the doctor took 2 weeks in preparation, most of it convincing her to go.  Not going to the Doctor got her though in the end.....she was 86.  I will say I could not have hand picked a better mom though.  She's been gone now 6 years and I think of her every day.

You're under 45?  I feel for you, man, and I hope for the best in your recovery.  I really don't know how to say this, especially online where you can't really convey emotion or sincerity, so I'll just type the words and let them fall where they may. You really need to start taking better care of your health. I just finished ghost writing a book for a scientist on anti-aging medicine. Most people in their forties today will probably live to 90 or more. Many will live those extra years in diminished capacity because of decades of neglected health.

Take it for what it's worth, but my advice is to see a sports doc as others have recommended, rehab that knee, get into an exercise program, lose some weight, and get that BP down before it kills you. Your doctor might not be so blunt, but that's the reality you're facing. 

I'm 65. I cycled to today with two riders 30 years younger than me. Tomorrow, I'll do a running work out on Vanderbilt track. I try to exercise every day. If you give up, you'll get old... you gotta keep active.

Guest RedLights&Sirens

growing old ain't for pussies

I fear it in some ways. Chronologicaly I am 28 years old but physically? Well thats a different story. Between hypertension and cardiomyopathy, two moderate back strains and an undiagnosed chronic knee pain... well Im "older." Eleven years of working in emergency medicine have not helped my body, especially as patients get bigger and bigger. Not to mention the size of the patient is usually connected to the number of stairs required to carry them up/down at home.

I am just glad I have some time to make some changes in my life. Some people make a life long career out of EMS, Im not sure how it is physically possible lol.