Brass to the face!

Jest wondering I have seen so many people buy a glock and with in a year it's for sale , I see more glocks for sale than any other pistol ? Wonder why that is.

Its one of the biggest problem I have with glocks (and its not their fault).   Fanboi salesmen and new shooters is the answer.  Some guy buying his first pistol, what do all the fans scream? "get a glock".  The salesman, peers, online forums, they all say this.  So he buys one and then over the year, shooting it some, he sees other folks and tries out something he actually likes ..... and sells the glock to fund it.   Its a combination of peer pressure and ignorance. 

• Like 1

Jest wondering I have seen so many people buy a glock and with in a year it's for sale , I see more glocks for sale than any other pistol ? Wonder why that is.

Its one of the biggest problem I have with glocks (and its not their fault). Fanboi salesmen and new shooters is the answer. Some guy buying his first pistol, what do all the fans scream? "get a glock". The salesman, peers, online forums, they all say this. So he buys one and then over the year, shooting it some, he sees other folks and tries out something he actually likes ..... and sells the glock to fund it. Its a combination of peer pressure and ignorance.

That may be true but I know a bunch of people who have also settled on a Glock. Personally, I dont like them (I've had five) but I still recommend them to new shooters for a few reasons.

1. Ease of use (simple to learn and clean - or not clean)
2. Availability of carry systems (IWB holsters, magazines, etc)
3. Re-sale value (if and when they discover another gun they like)

Its just overall the easiest system to introduce people to the community. At the same time a lot of people dont even care. They want to know whats a good normal gun, shoot a box of fifty, and lock it away - thats their choice.

I just read Randy's dissertation. That's kinda depressing.

Really is since it's a built in problem with the design according to him.

Nothing like buying a new gun and have to void the warranty by filing on it, eh?

- OS

Really is since it's a built in problem with the design according to him.

Nothing like buying a new gun and have to void the warranty by filing on it, eh?

- OS

As I read it, the ejection port issue exists in all Glocks. That's the depressing part. I can live with replacing an extractor.

If it wasn't a glock most here would say break it in for xxx number of rounds.

I suggest putting some ammo down range before tinkering with it. Every gun needs some breaking in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have been fortunate to not experience but maybe one or two BTF out of thousands of rounds through 2008 and newer Glocks. Most of the guys with troubles say they have occurred and gotten worse after a couple hundred rounds. I read of one guy that was getting BTF almost every round after 1k rounds, it was a Gen3 G19 also.

I finally made it to the range today to break in my new Gen4 G19 that I have had for 6 months.  I didn't have any problems with mine today.  I will keep this thread in mind going foward and see if anything ever comes of my G19.

Guest FiddleDog

I'm still getting b.t.f. on my Gen 4.  Really annoying.  HRED plunger, updated spring and ejector.  lone wolf extractor.  Will be hitting up Apex this week.

Guest FiddleDog
just test ran a few 100 through the 19 with an Apex extractor. zero BTF, strong ejection at 3 o'clock. I'm running mine with an HRED plunger. I you go for it, you'll want to use the plunger that goes with the non-lci. pleased right now.

Where to start.  I had a G30sf that had brass to the face issues.  I fixed it.  I reworked the extractor.  I had a Gen3 G27 that ejected perfectly.  I learned to do actions jobs on both of them with the stock parts.  The trigger pull really improved on both of them.  I got a wild hair and traded both of them and got 2 M&Ps.  A full size .45 and a 9C.  I did action jobs on both of them without changing any parts and improved the trigger on them.  I eventually got rid of them and went back to Glock.  I have  Gen 3 G26 and a Gen 4 G23.  Both of them work just fine and I have done action work on both of them.  I also changed the sites on the G23.  That is my EDC now.  While I can work on both the M&P and the Glock, I much prefer to work on the Glock.  I can simply polish surfaces and get what I want.  With the M&P I must do a bit of sear filing.  The gun is very safe when I'm finished but it is still far more time consuming and difficult than simply working on a Glock.

• Administrator

While I'm not defending Gen 4 Glocks I wouldn't stoop to the level of the M&P which is just Smith's copy of the Glock with a terrible trigger.

Saying the M&P is a copy of the Glock shows very little technical understanding of the M&P's design.  The Sigma, yes.  The M&P, no.  And say what you want, but none of my M&Ps have ever failed me either and none of them throw brass in my face.  :)

• Like 2

While I'm not defending Gen 4 Glocks I wouldn't stoop to the level of the M&P which is just Smith's copy of the Glock with a terrible trigger.

Saying the M&P is a copy of the Glock shows very little technical understanding of the M&P's design. The Sigma, yes. The M&P, no. And say what you want, but none of my M&Ps have ever failed me either and none of them throw brass in my face. :)

Same here!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Saying the M&P is a copy of the Glock shows very little technical understanding of the M&P's design. The Sigma, yes. The M&P, no. And say what you want, but none of my M&Ps have ever failed me either and none of them throw brass in my face. :)

Same here!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Same here.

Saying the M&P is a copy of the Glock shows very little technical understanding of the M&P's design.  The Sigma, yes.  The M&P, no.  And say what you want, but none of my M&Ps have ever failed me either and none of them throw brass in my face.  :)

Glock was one of the first polymer, striker-fired handguns. Every company that is making something similar is doing so purely based on Glock's success. So while it may not be a copy, you can be assured it's Smith's attempt to capture a portion(albeit small) of the market Glock cornered over 25 years ago.

All manufacturers have their issues, I remember when Hickok45 was testing his new M&P that came with a cracked slide right from the factory. How's that for quality control?

I'll stick with the proven original.The M&P's are fine weapons but they offer nothing new. Unless of course you're into crappy triggers.  :cool:

Glock was one of the first polymer, striker-fired handguns. Every company that is making something similar is doing so purely based on Glock's success. So while it may not be a copy, you can be assured it's Smith's attempt to capture a portion(albeit small) of the market Glock cornered over 25 years ago.

All manufacturers have their issues, I remember when Hickok45 was testing his new M&P that came with a cracked slide right from the factory. How's that for quality control?

I'll stick with the proven original.The M&P's are fine weapons but they offer nothing new. Unless of course you're into crappy triggers. :cool:

Sorry, but the record is clear. Glock wasn’t the first to produce a striker-fired pistol. H&K beat them by 12 years in 1970 with the VP70. Manufactured for the law enforcement market, it was capable of full auto fire and the semi automatic version became popular in Italian civilian market. An import restriction largely kept it out of US hands and draws a lot of blank stares when mentioned at your local gun shop. So we could say that glock copied H&K ??? Edited by ted

Sorry, but the record is clear. Glock wasn’t the first to produce a striker-fired pistol. H&K beat them by 12 years in 1970 with the VP70. Manufactured for the law enforcement market, it was capable of full auto fire and the semi automatic version became popular in Italian civilian market. An import restriction largely kept it out of US hands and draws a lot of blank stares when mentioned at your local gun shop. So we could say that glock copied H&K ???

I really believe the first striker fired handguns were Browning FN 1900's.
H&K I believe could have been a lot more successful with the VP70 if it had been easier to use and understand. The VP70 confused people. Why was a plastic gun so heavy and expensive ? Combine that with the fact the versions available in the US were not selective fire with an attachable stock. Americans thought they were paying for features they weren't getting. Then they try to squeeze the trigger and discover a 20 pound trigger pull.
Where Glock scored was easy to purchase and fire, cheap non-dumbed down for US market, lightweight pistols.

Sorry, but the record is clear. Glock wasn’t the first to produce a striker-fired pistol. H&K beat them by 12 years in 1970 with the VP70. 

Go back and read my post again. I said "one of". H&K's are fantastic firearms but they don't even control a fraction of the market compared to Glock. Now, that's mostly because most people don't want to spend $1000 on a handgun.

I'd love to acquire a P30 someday but I have many others on the list ahead of it.