Ammunition and Firefighting

Guest RedLights&Sirens

Guest RedLights&Sirens
Came across this in another forum. This should be a great resource for my brothers and sisters.

I can say with experience that its a bit scary hearing ammo cook off when your in a structural fire. Its bad enough not being able to see what your doing.

http://youtu.be/3SlOXowwC4c Edited by RedLights&Sirens
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, RL&S -- and you are right; the noise of a lot of ammo cooking off can be troublesome, especially to new guys who haven't experienced it before.  Have seen guys hide behind an apparatus on  occasion.  Best story I have on this subject was a few years back when we were working a structure with an ammo cookoff.  Local preacher and a couple of his congregants showed up early in suppression, and were asked to step back on three different occasions.  Just like a moth to a flame, it was only a few minutes before they were back up and in danger of getting smacked should we have a collapse.  Preacher asked, "what's that? sounds like popcorn."  A .45 ACP shell casing landed about 8" in front of his foot, and I said, "That's ammo cooking off."  He said, "Maybe we'd better back up a little."  We didn't have to tell them again!  Really, no danger from the ammo, but a structural collapse was a very real probability.  As someone a lot smarter than I am once said, no harm, no foul.  Lost the structure, but everybody left in one piece.  That's a good day in our line of work ...

In the preacher's defense, he was only there to offer help to the property owner.  But it never ceases to amaze me how many folks will rise bodily harm until they can see, with their own eyes, a risk (or in the case of that ammo, a percieved risk).  In any event, no animals, human or otherwise, were harmed in this instance.  Delay in detection, lack of water, and a few other factors played a part in the loss of property, but we got to go home with no injuries to our guys or the public -- and that IS a good day!

Guest RedLights&Sirens
Rural Metro Ambulance, formerly Fayette County Fire but gave up firefighting because of health reasons. I have been in several fire and EMS agencies back home in Connecticut as well.

Rural Metro Ambulance, formerly Fayette County Fire but gave up firefighting because of health reasons. I have been in several fire and EMS agencies back home in Connecticut as well.

Metro is everywhere these days. I love working for the fire side here. Gave up ambulances a while back, haven't regretted that decision. My wife still works as an ambulance medic part time though.

Lieutenant, Fort Campbell Fire/Rescue (Ret). I loved every minute of my job and I miss the work and the comradery  more than anything! I had the best crew on the best Engine company as there has ever been!

Dave S

Lieutenant, Fort Campbell Fire/Rescue (Ret). I loved every minute of my job and I miss the work and the comradery  more than anything! I had the best crew on the best Engine company as there has ever been!

Dave S

We have a lot of solid dudes at my dept. I love the brotherhood as well. The idea of working a regular job is scary to me after being a firefighter, I don't think i could do it