More storage ideas.

Always on the prowl for storage options for loaded ammo; I was in Lowe's the other night and saw these brand new paint cans.  $5 each, you can't buy an ammo can for that.  So I grabbed one to play with.  They seal up tight, obviously, they're mean to keep paint from drying out.  An adventurous soul might even put a thin bead of RTV around the rim. Furthermore, one could smear a little paint on the outside and no one would really pay them any attention stacked in the garage.  

Anyway, you can get 1,115 rounds of .40 S$W in one if you take the time to stack them and add a cardboard divider between layers.  

Just thought I'd share :wave:

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/Reloadingfool/media/IMG_0002_zpsee861bf6.jpg.html]IMG_0002_zpsee861bf6.jpg[/URL]

• Like 6

The big red Folger's Coffee can work great for storing ammo when emptied. I have several full of reloads in various calibers. They also stack well, and you can pick up a full can by the handle.

I've tried coffee cans but I just don't like the lids.
Guest TheDrip

I've been using vitamin bottles for 22. The value sized bottles. They hold about 250 rounds of 22lr, and are very convenient to pour out 15 rounds at the range. almost like pouring aspirin pills out.

I like the paint can idea. Will probably end up with a few in my garage. Thats a lot of 22, but not so many 30-06.

Excellent suggestion Caster.

I've seen it mentioned (on a "prepper" website) that you can use old paint cans, just cleaned out well, for low profile ammo storage. Like you suggested...no one would pay any attention to them.

Thanks! :up:

Just in case you were interested, the container that powdered Gatorade comes in holds a brick of 22LR. It's the one that resembles one of the large jug coolers. It has a twist off top.

BrasilNuts tipped me off on this one and it works great. Very handy and darned durable.

Excellent suggestion Caster.

I've seen it mentioned (on a "prepper" website) that you can use old paint cans, just cleaned out well, for low profile ammo storage. Like you suggested...no one would pay any attention to them.

Thanks! :up:

Well the cat is out of the bag now, all paint cans will now be band.

Paint stores will now be watched very close. :stunned:

All of these are great ideas. :up:

But depending on where you store your ammo and in what, you might want to throw a silica packet in with said ammo if it's going to be stored for a length of time...

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=silica+gel+pack&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=7764714608&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2376710251097841207&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3wwosk6do4_b

coffee cans all ways works well.  the old metal can and the new plastic ones.  used them for many mango seasons for reloads and reloading items.  food grade buckets works well and have good handles.  they seal tight, no air in or our.  can pick them up at local food stores for around $1.00 for small (1 gal)  and $5.00 for large size (5 gal).   food saver bags work well, etc... the list goes on and i have used most of them over the  years.  all have worked with no problems.  army ammo cans are the best when the price was low.  but now the price of ammo cans have gone sky high.

Well the cat is out of the bag now, all paint cans will now be band.

Paint stores will now be watched very close. :stunned:

Well...not if you don't tell everybody about it. :squint:

Wait a minute...you mean they might be reading this? :ugh:

• Like 1