Let's talk shotguns... I know practically nothing :/

Guest glocklocker19

Do you have something against having lot's of capacity?

Believe or don't believe what you want; all I can say is that if if someone breaks into my home I want as much firepower on my side as possible.  If bad guys break into my home I likely won't know how many of them there may be, especially at first and I certainly won't know if they are smart enough to wear armor, what they'll do if they face armed resistance, what pharmaceuticals they might be on or a 100 other variables. If one shot sends all of them fleeing that's fine but I'm not going to bet my life on the hope that they'll be that accommodating.

Nah, nothing against high capacity.  It is just that I look at it as a 'quality vs. quantity' issue.  Personally, I feel that 00 Buckshot offers better stopping potential (quality) for a close quarters, home invasion scenario than an AR so, for me, the quantity isn't as much of an issue.  That is just my approach.

Survival rifle?  No one told me we were talking about survival rifles; that places a whole different light on the entire thread then because everyone knows that the AR/5.56 platform is completely inadequate for survival. ;)

For survival rifles you actually need two; a Ruger 10/22 (that's assuming you can find 22 ammo) and a Barrett 82A1; what the 22 can't handle the 50BMG will and anything too small for the 50 the 22 should do nicely

But that Barret only has a ten round magazine.  Would you really want to depend on something with such a low ammo capacity for survival? :cool:  What if, while attempting to survive, you run into a group of trained grizzlies wearing armor?  Gotta be ready for those potential variables, no matter how unlikely! :pleased:

Edited by JAB

But that Barret only has a ten round magazine.  Would you really want to depend on something with such a low ammo capacity for survival? :cool:

Ten is still more than most any little shotgun anyone will have plus have more than one magazine.

Now please, go grab your shotgun and cuddle up next to it and let this stupid thread die.

Well I look at capacity a bit differently than some folks I guess.

As everyone already knows, shotguns are unique, firing multiple pellets/projectiles with every cartridge, a single cartridge of 12 g. 00 buck fired one-time at is ultimately hitting a target with between 8 to 18 .33 caliber pellets (depending on the load).

Each pellet or projectile has the potential to cause trauma to the target, the more trauma the target suffers, the less of a threat that target becomes.

Granted shotshell cartridges are larger & bulkier than more traditional types of cartridges so that fact ultimately limits the # of cartridges a shotgun can be loaded with, when compared to rifles or pistols, but the actual number of projectiles that can be introduced to a target is much greater.

8+1, 2 3/4" of 00 loaded into my Mossberg equals 81 .33" projectiles ...

That is potentially eighty-one, thirty-three caliber "holes" in attacker(s), which is ultimately the goal of the weapon isn't it? to punch holes in stuff?

Granted the arguement of the actual cartridge capacity, 30 vs 9 is easily in favor of the AR, but that is only if it's the cartridge itself that is being counted & not the # of projectiles being potentially absorbed by the target.

Ten is still more than most any little shotgun anyone will have plus have more than one magazine.

Now please, go grab your shotgun and cuddle up next to it and let this stupid thread die.

Why? I don't see any harm in discussing the issue, the topic is more intersting & enjoyable IMHO than a lot of the other threads on the forum.

Hey, man, no offense - just giving you a hard time trying to help you be sure to be prepared for all those potential variables.

Edited by JAB

From the Hunting Guide .pdf, the legal weapons chart above is proceeded by:

If a firearm, hunting device, or ammunition is not listed in the below table it is illegal to hunt with within the State of Tennessee.

IIRC, buckshot is legal only for non-game species such as coyote.

I don't think it is legal for coyote, either.  Oh Shoot got the official word and that indicates that buckshot is not legal for hunting anything in Tennessee.

Got reply and indeed no buckshot. I suggested in reply that that clarify the info on the referencing page and also in the PDF Hunting Guide, which says same thing:

"Buckshot is illegal for hunting anything in TN.  Shotguns with rifled slugs are legal for hunting deer, bear and elk. Shotguns with #4 shot or smaller are legal for hunting turkey.

Steve Nifong

Lt. Colonel, Boating and Law Enf. Div."

I pretty much thought it was illegal, but I haven't hunted deer since my youth, and most folks don't know it's legal to go after deer and bear with a .25acp mouse gun now, so thought maybe it had changed too.

- OS

Further, coyote are considered 'game' in Tennessee.  If you double-check the regs, they are listed among 'furbearers' and hunting methods/equipment used to take them must comply with the regs for furbearers.  Now, there is no official season for taking coyote (open year round) and no bag limit but TN still has to find a way to make money off of hunting them includes them in 'small game'.

Edited by JAB

And ... I don't recommend using buckshot for taking yotes, it's hard enough to call them in close enough to take them with a rifle round, let alone call them in close enough to be able to effectively take them using buckshot.

I really don't understand some of reasoning behind some of the regulations here in TN, but I'd imagine it had something to do with folks slanking el'cheapo non-plated, non-buffered, flat/felt-wad buckshot into their shotgun (that they didn't bother to pattern properly) & then taking pot-shots at stuff outside of it's effective range, wounding/injuring animals in the process.

I don't think it is legal for coyote, either. Oh Shoot got the official word and that indicates that buckshot is not legal for hunting anything in Tennessee.

Further, coyote are considered 'game' in Tennessee. If you double-check the regs, they are listed among 'furbearers' and hunting methods/equipment used to take them must comply with the regs for furbearers. Now, there is no official season for taking coyote (open year round) and no bag limit but TN still has to find a way to make money off of hunting them includes them in 'small game'.

Good bit of information to know, I haven't bothered to hunt yotes in years unless it has been as a favor for a friend who's livestock was being hassled.

IN used to put bounties on yotes when they got to be over-populated and problematic, which made it worthwhile, we could also call them in & take them at night, with a spot-light & over-bait, which helped.

Can't eat them & their fur is usually full of fleas, ticks & mange, so the bounties was the only thing that made your time hunting them worth the while, unless of course they are causing problems with your pets &/or livestock.

There is a good sized pack of yotes & coydogs across the other side of 19 from here, they are still technically inside the towns limits though so I couldn't thin them out myself even if I wanted to.

But if I were to do so I'd probably use a .223 40gr V-max.