Rediculous ammo prices at Pawn shop.

So I went to Global Loan and Pawn in Downtown Lenoir City, and in 5 min they had lost my business forever.  

9mm was $35 for a box of 50 (target).

.40sw was $30 for 50 (target).

.45acp was $65 for 50 (target)

.308 was $45 for 20 rounds

7.62x39 was $35 for 20 rounds

.223 was $45 for 20 rounds.

But I think the biggest kick in the pants was .22lr

$29 for 50 rounds of bulk pack plinking ammo. Yes that is right $29.

And the guy said, "price is negotiable by a couple dollars."

I will never shop there again. I know supply is hard to get, but that is just ridiculous.

• Like 1

So I went to Global Loan and Pawn in Downtown Lenoir City, and in 5 min they had lost my business forever.  

I will never shop there again. I know supply is hard to get, but that is just ridiculous.

So, how close is this POS to a Walmart?

Do you think him and his buddies are stripping the local Walmart shelves bare?

Talked to a local Walmart manager -- Walmart is considering overstamping their ammo with "Walmart" stamps to cut down on the underground re-marketing . . .

Talked to a local Walmart manager -- Walmart is considering overstamping their ammo with "Walmart" stamps to cut down on the underground re-marketing . . .

A few weeks ago, when one of the local Wally SG employees was telling me that they see the same people buying up all the ammo and that some of them come right out and say that they are doing it to resell, I opined that Walmart should stamp "Walmart" along with the current price right on each and every box of ammo they sell.  The employee said that he thought that was a great idea and that he was going to 'bring it up' with his supervisors.

I really wish that they would do so.  That way, at least folks who are paying ridiculous prices for Walmart ammo out of naivete will be able to see how badly they are being screwed.

• Like 2
  • Admin Team

Walmart likely loves their competitors buying up their ammo to resell - at least in the short term.  Look at the prices in the OP, compare them to Walmart's "everyday low prices" and they see a lot more customers when all of this stuff dies down.

• Like 1

It has been my experience that every, single pawnshop that I have ever visited in our area is overpriced on most everything.  Not just ammo, not just guns but most everything.  Just for curiosity's sake, next time you are in a pawnshop look at the price they have on, say, a 'well-used' (as in nearly worn out) lawnmower or other piece of power equipment.  Generally, you could buy a new piece of equipment for just a few dollars more.

Some guys on other (national) gun forums talk about finding deals at their local pawnshops but I haven't seen any around here.  Heck, even Gouger Mountain might be ashamed of some of the pawnshop prices I have seen.

Is the pawnshop you are talking about the one that is in the old Leo's Pulled Pig barbecue restaurant location?  If so, the first (and last) time I was in there, they had a Rohm RG .38 Special that had a lot of holster wear and looked like it had seen some rough treatment in their case.  The price they had on it was close to $300.  This was when they first opened a couple of years ago, long before the gun/ammo craze - when you could still find police trade in S&W model 10s for less than that in local gun stores.  I know folks say you can usually 'haggle' with pawnshops but when starting prices are roughly double (or more) what the item is worth then there is really no point, IMO.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

It has been my experience that every, single pawnshop that I have ever visited in our area is overpriced on most everything.  Not just ammo, not just guns but most everything.  Just for curiosity's sake, next time you are in a pawnshop look at the price they have on, say, a 'well-used' (as in nearly worn out) lawnmower or other piece of power equipment.  Generally, you could buy a new piece of equipment for just a few dollars more.

Some guys on other (national) gun forums talk about finding deals at their local pawnshops but I haven't seen any around here.  Heck, even Gouger Mountain might be ashamed of some of the pawnshop prices I have seen.

Is the pawnshop you are talking about the one that is in the old Leo's Pulled Pig barbecue restaurant location?  If so, the first (and last) time I was in there, they had a Rohm RG .38 Special that had a lot of holster wear and looked like it had seen some rough treatment in their case.  The price they had on it was close to $300.  This was when they first opened a couple of years ago, long before the gun/ammo craze - when you could still find police trade in S&W model 10s for less than that in local gun stores.  I know folks say you can usually 'haggle' with pawnshops but when starting prices are roughly double (or more) what the item is worth then there is really no point, IMO.

It is that very one.

No disrespect, but who does the Pawn Shops market too!  I admit I visit pawn shops often as a buyer only, never for their services, but some pawn shops will negotiate on older inventory, some never do.  My guess is their main stream clinetel is more of the misinformed, window shoppers or the non-TGO mainstream, but that is a guess by me.  I am sure there are exceptions.

I just don't see how stamping Walmart or anything else on the box is going to stop someone from reselling it or someone from buying it at a unreal price. Scalping won't stop until supply catches up with demand. As long as there a buyers dumb enough to pay these prices you will have scalpers selling to them. YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID :wall: 

I never have been in a pawn shop before i was looking for my first pistol. Back then I tried KK's in Tullahoma and they had overpriced "junk". Went back a few weeks ago with a friend to help her look and still Overpriced "junk" plus the fact that the guy behind the counter never acknowledged myself or my friend( potiential customers).  I won't set foot in that pawn shop ever, and advise everyone else to stay out of it as well. As for the ammo gouging issue, If you don't buy it, and tell everyone else not to buy it as well, eventually the gougers will have to make some kind of money or lose their investment. I think if we named those shops and individuals ( like a gunbot site) who are gouging the ammo, maybe it would hurt them and the ammo issue could get closer to being like it was before all the hoopla.

I just don't see how stamping Walmart or anything else on the box is going to stop someone from reselling it or someone from buying it at a unreal price. Scalping won't stop until supply catches up with demand. As long as there a buyers dumb enough to pay these prices you will have scalpers selling to them. YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID :wall: 

Most of the scalpers (at least the ones meeting in person) have a story about how much they paid for the ammo and how they have to have a certain amount. If a buyer believes that the seller also over paid then they will try to rationalize the purchase but it is just human nature that if they know the seller just gave $8.99 because the sticker is still there they will try to talk their selves out of it rather than remain in denial. But there are some that fit your description and will buy regardless.

Right... because DHS has an interest in .22LR... Sure...

Unfortunately, my intended sarcasm didn't translate well for you. :slap:

One of the pitfalls of written word vs. spoken word. If we had been face-to-face you would have understood that I was joking. :biglol:

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 2
Guest 6.8 AR

It would make one pause before buying the overpriced crap from the scalpers if they were marked from the

previous sellers. I think it is a great idea. You can say stupid all day long, but until you win the hearts and minds

of people frustrated and wondering if it will ever end, you haven't accomplished anything but just saying they

are stupid, which they aren't.

I am going to call my local Walmart this morning with the stamping suggestion. I am even going to offer to pay for the stamp. Stamps are cheap enough that you would make your money back the first time you walked in and found ammo on the shelf.

As far as the pawn shop stuff, I find deals pretty regularly. The way to find deals is check the same stores often. And find a store that is about at market or a little above on their sticker price. Don't be afraid of the sticker price because they expect hagglers and haggle you must in order to get a deal at a pawn shop. And haggle with them every time you go in there on ANYTHING to get an idea of how much they will come down. They are making great margins so they WILL come down a lot. Like yesterday I found a Ruger GP100 that was marked $349. From experience from buying from that shop I know they will let it go for under $300 out the door. Same pawnshop netted me a mint Marlin 39A for $275 out the door. I have also seen Savage rifles marked for under $250 that would mean $200 out the door. And when buying from a pawn shop you know the gun isn't stolen. Also, most pawn shops do transfers for cheap.

My wife enjoys going in them as well to look at the gold. You can even get some pretty decent deals on their jewelery. They are paying scrap price or less so if you are offering more than scrap price you stand a good chance of getting the item. You can call and most shops will tell you what they are paying for scrap that day and most tags, from what I have seen, have their weight on them. That is why when you ask how low they can go on something they look at a tag, then ask the going price for scrap and then use a calculator to come up with a price.

There is a skill involved in dealing with pawn shops but it is no harder than dealing with a private seller. And in order for you to get a deal you have to know the going price on what you are looking at otherwise you will get screwed.

Guest nra37922

In reality the ridiculous thing here is the people willing to pay those prices.  My advice is don't buy and let the dealers 'eat' the ammo.

pawn shops that i have been in seem to be high on everything.  most of the items have been there so long that it has dust on it.  the gun and ammo prices are high.  most of the time it is a wast of time going in. 

The way to find deals is check the same stores often.

My problem is that most of the pawn shops I have been in have prices that are just about double what I would expect the 'sticker price' to be.  For instance, in various pawnshops in the area, I have seen:

No-name or 'budget' model (Sears, etc.), single shot shotguns with at least some cosmetic wear priced at $150.  I can get a brand, new Pardner single shot at Walmart for just about that price.

Some used handguns priced as high as (or, sometimes, even higher than) new versions of the same gun at my LGS.

A 10/22 with a bad, home-made 'camo' job that looked like it had been dragged behind a truck for a mile or two down a gravel road priced, literally, ten dollars less than a brand new one at the Walmart that is less than two miles away.

That is kind of what I am saying - I can't even find a pawnshop with prices reasonable enough to be a decent starting point for haggling.  Oh, and now I am jealous of that Ruger GP100 purchase.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
I'm with JAB on that one about all the pawn shops I go in are waaaaay over priced,so much there's no starting point to deal.Saw a 20 H&R Pardner pump at one ,they had $199 on it I ask what they would take OTD for it ?They said $200.A new one is $179 + tax and Tic.If they would have said $150 or less I'd been more interested.

Have you guys ever asked if they would take less? Because I guarantee they will.

The pawnshops price knowing people are going to haggle, they expect it. They don't price it in hopes that someone comes in not knowing what something is worth. I go in with the mindset they paid 1/2 their sticker price. I suspect it is more like 1/4 but at a 1/2 it gives me a idea of where I want to be BEFORE I make a decision to buy. I don't walk in and say to myself "I have to have that" then haggle down as low as I can. I go in and begin to haggle before I decide I want it. The final haggle price will determine whether I buy it or not.  More than half the time after I get done haggling I don't buy even if it is at a fair price.  Also, you are never done haggling until whoever you are talking to asks someone else. The people in charge rarely deal with the public and they are the final say in the prices. 

The pawn shops I have dealt with will knock off, on average, 1/3 of the sticker price. I too have seen Marlin model 60's with a sticker price of $219 but after 5 minutes of haggling I could have walked out the door with it for $100. I seen a Ruger 100/22 stainless with a cheap scope and a cheap magazine that had a $300 pricetag. I asked "How much lower can you go" and literally the next words were "$200 out the door". So they knocked $100 off because I asked. And after a few more minutes I walked away after I got them down to $175 out the door. I bought a very nice bracelet for my wife for what was scrap value and later was told it was worth 3x-4x what I paid because it was a handmade, custom piece.

I passed on a SS Remington 700 in 300 WM sitting in a AI stock with a scope. I contacted a friend of mine who went down there with cash and haggled them down to just over $1,000 out the door. Not to bad for what was probably a $2,000 gun.

And one more thing, stopping in regularly is the key. Almost every day they put stuff out on the floor. And if you don't check often then people like me, who do check often, will get to them before you do.

If a person isn't comfortable haggling then pawnshops aren't for you.