Rediculous ammo prices at Pawn shop.

It would make one pause before buying the overpriced crap from the scalpers if they were marked from the

previous sellers. I think it is a great idea. You can say stupid all day long, but until you win the hearts and minds

of people frustrated and wondering if it will ever end, you haven't accomplished anything but just saying they

are stupid, which they aren't.

"Winning the hearts and minds of people" I did that in 1967 in Vietnam, it didn't work there. It didn't work in Iraq and it's not working in Afghanistan. 

But I guess you can try and make a case for it.

I look at it this way. Even if you could get all the Walmarts to go along with this, it's only a part of the supply chain, unless you assume the scalpers only get their supply from Walmart. Go on Gun Broker check out the ammo for sale at scalpers prices, the case lot sales are not from Walmart, they are from the local gun shops, and they don't even try to hide who they are. The ammo you see pop up for sale on Cabelas,  Academy, Midway, and any of the other big email suppliers is the same stuff you see 2 weeks later on Gun Broker and the other gun sites. People paying these outrageous prices don't care where it came from or what the scalpers paid for it. They want it, they want it now and they don't care what the price is. They paid double or triple the going price for their new AR, AK, or 10/22 and mags, so why would you think they would smarten up when when it comes to ammo? The best way to find how much the people are willing to pay for a item is to make them believe they won't be able to buy it in the near further. The ass clowns in Washington took care of that and the panic buying went into full swing.

IMHO the only way things are going to get back to normal,(what ever the new normal is going to be) is when supply catches up to demand or when all the fools run out of money or when all the idiots get voted out of Washington. My bet is on supply &  demand.

:rant: Sorry for the rant, wish there was a easy answer. If stamping the boxes works, more power to you.

Please take a moment tomorrow, June 6th, to remember all the men who gave their all on June 6, 1944, D-DAY :usa:

Where is all the 22 LR ammo going?I've heard everyone's theory,but really where is it all going?How many millions of rounds do you think CCI,Federal,Remington,and Winchester are pumping out each day ,and you can hardly find it in any of the big stores.I hadn't saw any at a Wal Mart since Dec. or Jan.

Where is all the 22 LR ammo going?I've heard everyone's theory,but really where is it all going?How many millions of rounds do you think CCI,Federal,Remington,and Winchester are pumping out each day ,and you can hardly find it in any of the big stores.I hadn't saw any at a Wal Mart since Dec. or Jan.

People were buying the hell out of it because they were panicked. Opportunists saw that and started buying in bulk in order to jack the price up and turn a profit. .22 will be cheap and easy to find again once people calm the f*** down.

More of the pawn shop pricing. I seriously see guns that are way cheaper than the used gun market at pawn shops. When was the last time you seen a single shot 12 gauge for $60 in decent shape? I see and know of where there are quit a few. Marlin and Winchester 30-30's for $250 out the door in decent shape? I know there was no less than 5 of each every time I stepped into a pawn shop I stop in at every 2 month or so. And that same shop has had those same prices for at least the last 2 years. Same shop had a Saiga 20 for $399 and several AR's for under $800 when everyone else was asking twice that. How about a Tec9 for $299 and its little brother for $225 and they would come down on those prices. They had more ammo than anywhere I had seen in months and the prices were about 10%-20% more than Walmart on everything they had.

You guys need to find a different pawn shop.

Just called and they have the Marlin 30-30's for $269. Which means they are probably going to let it out the door for $250 or less.

Have you guys ever asked if they would take less? Because I guarantee they will.

The pawnshops price knowing people are going to haggle, they expect it. They don't price it in hopes that someone comes in not knowing what something is worth. I go in with the mindset they paid 1/2 their sticker price. I suspect it is more like 1/4 but at a 1/2 it gives me a idea of where I want to be BEFORE I make a decision to buy. I don't walk in and say to myself "I have to have that" then haggle down as low as I can. I go in and begin to haggle before I decide I want it. The final haggle price will determine whether I buy it or not.  More than half the time after I get done haggling I don't buy even if it is at a fair price.  Also, you are never done haggling until whoever you are talking to asks someone else. The people in charge rarely deal with the public and they are the final say in the prices. 

The pawn shops I have dealt with will knock off, on average, 1/3 of the sticker price. I too have seen Marlin model 60's with a sticker price of $219 but after 5 minutes of haggling I could have walked out the door with it for $100. I seen a Ruger 100/22 stainless with a cheap scope and a cheap magazine that had a $300 pricetag. I asked "How much lower can you go" and literally the next words were "$200 out the door". So they knocked $100 off because I asked. And after a few more minutes I walked away after I got them down to $175 out the door. I bought a very nice bracelet for my wife for what was scrap value and later was told it was worth 3x-4x what I paid because it was a handmade, custom piece.

I passed on a SS Remington 700 in 300 WM sitting in a AI stock with a scope. I contacted a friend of mine who went down there with cash and haggled them down to just over $1,000 out the door. Not to bad for what was probably a $2,000 gun.

And one more thing, stopping in regularly is the key. Almost every day they put stuff out on the floor. And if you don't check often then people like me, who do check often, will get to them before you do.

If a person isn't comfortable haggling then pawnshops aren't for you.

I tried to haggle this down to a current market fair price. They would not budge more than $2. They do the samething with everything else in there. Everything they have is at the price of what it would be brand new, and they admit that. They will only come down off that price 2-5% and tell you, "well it is cheaper than it being new." I watched them buy a single shot H&R for $45 then turn around and stick it on the shelf with a $190 price tag. Told them I would give them $100 out the door since it was in very good shape that way they could double their money minus tax and tic. He told me the lowest he would go OTD was $180. I thought it was just that guy, turns out  the whole place is terrible.

"Winning the hearts and minds of people" I did that in 1967 in Vietnam, it didn't work there. It didn't work in Iraq and it's not working in Afghanistan. 

But I guess you can try and make a case for it.

I look at it this way. Even if you could get all the Walmarts to go along with this, it's only a part of the supply chain, unless you assume the scalpers only get their supply from Walmart. Go on Gun Broker check out the ammo for sale at scalpers prices, the case lot sales are not from Walmart, they are from the local gun shops, and they don't even try to hide who they are. The ammo you see pop up for sale on Cabelas,  Academy, Midway, and any of the other big email suppliers is the same stuff you see 2 weeks later on Gun Broker and the other gun sites. People paying these outrageous prices don't care where it came from or what the scalpers paid for it. They want it, they want it now and they don't care what the price is. They paid double or triple the going price for their new AR, AK, or 10/22 and mags, so why would you think they would smarten up when when it comes to ammo? The best way to find how much the people are willing to pay for a item is to make them believe they won't be able to buy it in the near further. The ass clowns in Washington took care of that and the panic buying went into full swing.

IMHO the only way things are going to get back to normal,(what ever the new normal is going to be) is when supply catches up to demand or when all the fools run out of money or when all the idiots get voted out of Washington. My bet is on supply &  demand.

:rant: Sorry for the rant, wish there was a easy answer. If stamping the boxes works, more power to you.

Please take a moment tomorrow, June 6th, to remember all the men who gave their all on June 6, 1944, D-DAY :usa:

Scaplers are having a hard time cleaning out Academy, Gander, and Bass pro in just 1-2 days now. They have put 1 box limits up and I am able to get ammo fairly consistently now with them. You just have to go on ammo shipment days. Wal mart's 3 box for 3 calibers is why they stay cleaned out. 4 guys can go in a clear them out of all they get in since wal mart has been getting tiny shipments.

Scaplers are having a hard time cleaning out Academy, Gander, and Bass pro in just 1-2 days now. They have put 1 box limits up and I am able to get ammo fairly consistently now with them. You just have to go on ammo shipment days. Wal mart's 3 box for 3 calibers is why they stay cleaned out. 4 guys can go in a clear them out of all they get in since wal mart has been getting tiny shipments.

Walmart here is 3 box total/per day, mix or match calibers. Academy is 30 miles away and not worth the drive for 1 box. Gander and Bass Pro to far to drive without making a day of it. Besides Gander has not had good prices for years. Walmart shipments over the past 2 weeks have been very good, even 2 or more cases of .22LR at a time. Nothing that's going to stay on the shelf for two days but better then what it been. 

That seems to be absolutely true.  My problem is that I have been in multiple pawnshops in various cities in East Tennessee and the story is always the same.  Things like that RG I mentioned earlier or similar pricing.  Also, I have (on occasion, but not always) asked, "How much could you knock off that price," and it is usually no more than five or ten bucks, if that - leaving the price still ridiculously high.  Usually, though, the response I get is that the sticker price is not very flexible because, "Oh, I've gotta have that out of it to make my money back."

Edited by JAB

That seems to be absolutely true. My problem is that I have been in multiple pawnshops in various cities in East Tennessee and the story is always the same. Things like that RG I mentioned earlier or similar pricing. Also, I have (on occasion, but not always) asked, "How much could you knock off that price," and it is usually no more than five or ten bucks, if that - leaving the price still ridiculously high. Usually, though, the response I get is that the sticker price is not very flexible because, "Oh, I've gotta have that out of it to make my money back."

Are you hitting chain stores like Cash America, or owner-operator stores? I've never had much luck getting good deals with chain stores.

Folks, with pawn shops its about return on investment and opportunity to sell in a reasonable time frame.  If they have a purchased an item for resell, the chances of negotiating significantly is low.  However, if its a pawned item that is out for sell, they likely have 1/3 of the asking value tied up in cash, and depending on their assessment of how long it will to sell, they will be motivated by this assessment. 

I have to agree with Dolomite_Supafly on this one.  BTW pawn shop people size you up while you are negotiating on how difficult the negotiation may be, don't lose your leverage.

I think you can negotiate a great deal at a Pawn Shop if you know...truly know what the item is worth.

Of course it doesn't work every time and if the owner/salesman won't negotiate then he won't negotiate but there is always tomorrow. Or in other words, patience pays off. :)

I would suggest that where most people screw up is that they either don't know what the real value is or they are uncomfortable with/don't know how to negotiate.!

I think you can negotiate a great deal at a Pawn Shop if you know...truly know what the item is worth.

Of course it doesn't work every time and if the owner/salesman won't negotiate then he won't negotiate but there is always tomorrow. Or in other words, patience pays off. :)

I would suggest that where most people screw up is that they either don't know what the real value is or they are uncomfortable with/don't know how to negotiate.!

My experiences in a LOT of pawn shops with guns they don't have a clue what some of their gun are worth or what they are.I have saw a FR8 marked on the tag as Mosin Nagant,AK's as SKS's .lol

My experiences in a LOT of pawn shops with guns they don't have a clue what some of their gun are worth or what they are.I have saw a FR8 marked on the tag as Mosin Nagant,AK's as SKS's .lol

That could be as I have limited experience with buying a firearm at a Pawn Shop...the only time I ever did was an M1 Garand but that was from a pawn broker who knew very well/was friends with.

Most of what I've bought from shops has been watches, jewelry and electronics.

Without stupid people, pawnshops would go out of business.  A shop can put a stupid price on a gun and there is a good chance that someone will pay that price.

Set up a circuit.  visit every pawnshop in your area that seems reasonable to deal with.  I always ask the clerk to read me the hanging tag without handing me the gun.  That way I don't waste their time on things that would have no interest to me.  If something looks good, I ask to see the gun.  Also, I always leave a business card and thank them for their time.   

Last month, I got a Marlin waffle top 30-30 for under $300 out the door.  I am talking to another place about a handi-rifle in 30-30 when they get ready to deal.

Are you hitting chain stores like Cash America, or owner-operator stores? I've never had much luck getting good deals with chain stores.

Mom and pops, mostly in smaller towns (Sweetwater, Madisonville, Lenoir City, Loudon, etc.) but have been in a couple in Knoxville.

Edited by JAB

Without stupid people, pawnshops would go out of business.  A shop can put a stupid price on a gun and there is a good chance that someone will pay that price.

I think that is the real problem with the pawnshops I have hit.  They aren't going to negotiate much on price because they know someone who doesn't know any better than to pay their jacked-up price will be in there within a day or two.

I think that is the real problem with the pawnshops I have hit.  They aren't going to negotiate much on price because they know someone who doesn't know any better than to pay their jacked-up price will be in there within a day or two.

I bet you know the one I am talking about then.

This is why you have track how long the Pawn shop has had a certain item.  < 30 days, you are not going to get a deal.  >60-90 days, you betcha you can negotiate a deal.  If you can't remember how long they have had an item, keep a notebook in your car to record what you have seen, and stay on a circuit routine.

A few weeks ago, when one of the local Wally SG employees was telling me that they see the same people buying up all the ammo and that some of them come right out and say that they are doing it to resell, I opined that Walmart should stamp "Walmart" along with the current price right on each and every box of ammo they sell.  The employee said that he thought that was a great idea and that he was going to 'bring it up' with his supervisors.

I really wish that they would do so.  That way, at least folks who are paying ridiculous prices for Walmart ammo out of naivete will be able to see how badly they are being screwed.

Just put a label/sticker over it with your price, really solve nothing.

• Like 1