best carry caliber for hiking, wildlife protection

Guest Emtdaddy1980
I have started taking my two stepsons backpacking with me and I wrestled with this question quite a bit. I actually put in well over a thousand trail miles over the years before I was married and before I ever owned a handgun, and I never,ever felt the need for one because of a non-human. There were a few instances however that other humans on the trail tripped my spidey sense. Now it was typically me with some buddies or just me and a dog, and I have always carried a good fixed blade and stick hiking and have a background in boxing/muay thay, so I wasn't TOO concerned. But with my kids with me I want more assurance. Me and the boys typically go fast and light, often not even using a tent, so weight and bulk is also a factor for me.

After looking at all the factors I came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to choose a weapon based on a possible animal encounter but rather with the more likely event of dealing with a troublesome human. Most of the research I've done on the subject indicated that the majority of handgun rounds are miserably underpowered for taking an animal anyways. Even a large racoon will absorb hits better than a human.

Being that I'm not willing to tote a SW500 or .454 to possibly down a bear, I've contented myself to using my regular .380 pocket carry. This is just what works for me personally based on my own circumstances and experience. If someone wants to carry something larger then more power to them. There are certainly some high powered options available in a smallish package. For me it was a choice between buying another gun or getting the basic gear for my sons to be able to enjoy the sport with me. Just my two cents, have fun on the trails.
If small and light is your focus then the XDS isn't much over most .380's. The concern I would have is that in the woods you have no where to run. You can't flee to a well lit, populated area. You can't reach your car to flee and you may not get cell service. Even when the greatest possibility is humans in the woods I would want a fighting gun with a fair amount of ammo, at least 15 rounds. Edited by Patton

.44 would make a lot more sense for someone who has or is willing to spend some time practicing with big bore revolvers.   10mm probably makes more sense for all the people like me who have limited time and money to spend at the range but do practice with a Glock or similar service caliber, striker-fired, semi-automatic handgun.  I don't think the value of muscle memory can be overstated.  When hiking and/or campling in the Smokies, we carry "Guard Alaska" bear spray and a Glock 22 as a backup.  My wife usually keeps the bear spray close by, and although bear attacks are extremely rare, I think it would be quite useful in a more likely event such as a wild dog/cat or a drunk at a campground etc...

If I ever buy a handgun specifically for protection in the woods it will be a Glock 20.  

Or spend the big bux and get a 44 auto :)   

10 is fine.  It is very close to a 44 in performance until you get to the very long barrel revolvers, which boost the velocity significantly and dwarf the auto 10s that have shorter barrels (duh?).   It is an excellent caliber that really should have done better commercially than it did. 

I'd say I spend WAY more time in the woods than the average man.

Haven't I also seen you post that you re-load?  If I did, I'd probably own a 10mm too.  Being a guy that buys ammo at Academy or Wal-Mart, I just can't see going the 10mm route right now.  I've got too many work/family/other activity obligations that keep me from spending additional time on this hobby.  As it is, I'll just stick with a 9mm or my short and weak 10.  

Edited by JReedEsq
Guest Emtdaddy1980

If small and light is your focus then the XDS isn't much over most .380's. The concern I would have is that in the woods you have no where to run. You can't flee to a well lit, populated area. You can't reach your car to flee and you may not get cell service. Even when the greatest possibility is humans in the woods I would want a fighting gun with a fair amount of ammo, at least 15 rounds.

I wouldn't mind something with a little more punch, but like I said it was a financial choice between investing in another firearm that will see limited carry time vs getting my sons some basic essential gear of their own so that they could join me on the trails. 7 -13 rounds of .380 should at least slow somebody down enough for me to transition to the fixed blade and get truly nasty. Edited by Emtdaddy1980
Guest Emtdaddy1980
Tcp not lcp, same genus different species :-)

I'm relatively new to carrying a handgun. I've been around guns my whole life and hunted a bit, and actually owned a Taurus PT140 previously, but traded it out for my TCP because I wanted something easier to carry regardless of activity level. I kinda miss the 11 rounds of .40sw but not the weight and bulk while hiking.

I'd say I spend WAY more time in the woods than the average man.

Haven't I also seen you post that you re-load? If I did, I'd probably own a 10mm too. Being a guy that buys ammo at Academy or Wal-Mart, I just can't see going the 10mm route right now. I've got too many work/family/other activity obligations that keep me from spending additional time on this hobby. As it is, I'll just stick with a 9mm or my short and weak 10.

Yes I do reload for sure. It's a huge component in shooting 10mm, unless you're rich.

Someone school me on this. Why is a revolver better against an aggressive* snake than a semi-auto? Do semi's not like rat/snake shot rounds?

*Yes sir, it was being aggressive. I was in fear of my own personal safety and had to put the poor thing down. It broke my heart to do it.

Edited by monkeylizard

Someone school me on this. Why is a revolver better against an aggressive* snake than a semi-auto? Do semi's not like rat/snake shot rounds?

*Yes sir, it was being aggressive. I was in fear of my own personal safety and had to put the poor thing down. It broke my heart to do it.

Reliability in a semi with snake shot can be hit or miss ( ;)  ).   And it's the classic idea that if you're literally wrestling with the critter, the revolver will "always" work. 

Between the two rounds the OP mentioned, i would select the .45, for the knockdown power.  But if I were going to purchase a firearm for a dedicated woods gun, I would select a .357 mag in a Ruger LCR, SP101 or a small S&W, with a 3" barrel if it comes with it.

Edited by Moped

Assuming you don't want to buy a new pistol since your post wasn't phrased that way, why not carry both? Choose the one you're more comfortable with as the primary and the other as a new york reload.

He mentioned hiking, this would be extra weight. As a long time hiker, I can tell you there's no way 2lbs of dead weight would go in my pack. I think my total pack weight with food and water is 17lbs.

Also, the hip belt might get in the way of a regular holster. I haven't found a good way to carry a pistol with a hiking backpack, other than a thigh holster, which is out for obvious reasons.

Guest Emtdaddy1980

He mentioned hiking, this would be extra weight. As a long time hiker, I can tell you there's no way 2lbs of dead weight would go in my pack. I think my total pack weight with food and water is 17lbs.

Also, the hip belt might get in the way of a regular holster. I haven't found a good way to carry a pistol with a hiking backpack, other than a thigh holster, which is out for obvious reasons.

That's one reason I like my little pea shooter. I can comfortably pocket carry while hiking, usually in a right hand cargo pocket.

Here in east TN, we have a pack of wild dogs that roam the woods. They are large mongrels. We have black bears and coyotes too but it is the wild dogs that give people the creeps. I took out one with a shot gun during grouse season and a friend of mine took out one with his .270 dear rifle at near point blank range, just before daylight. Think you hear something so you shine the flashlight and................................

Yes. Feral house cats are some of the most efficient predators. Seriously.

Though, I admit, I've never heard of one attacking a human.

You guys ever hear of bobcats?  I have personally seen one run across the road in front of me that was about twice the size of the 'average' bobcat.  I wouldn't want to tangle with a normal sized one much less that bruiser.  Would a bobcat attack a person?  Who knows - it is a wild animal and so I figure it might do just about anything.

Besides that, the OP never said that all of his hiking and back country camping are in East Tennessee.  Florida officially recognizes that there are mountain lions/cougars/panthers (or whatever name you want to use) living there.  I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility that there are still a few lingering in the wilder areas of Georgia.

Edited by JAB

Chances are, any projectile contact with an animal will deter its attack at least enough to buy you some escape time.

I'm just gonna havta go ahead and disagree with that notion. Many wounded predators wouldn't even slow down when in attack mode without heart, lung or brain being damaged. 

Bear Spray is light and easy to carry. And effective on most critters I suspect. And a heck of a lot easier to hit a charging target! And less likely to get you in trouble with Wildlife Officials and the general public. I'd carry a Handgun in addition, but it wouldn't be the first thing I'd reach for if I saw a Bear.

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel