Things to do in Oak Ridge?

Lincolns Sports Bar on Illinois is a good place to hang out. You can come have a beer at my place and shoot some guns if you get the hankering. Ive got 450 yds to shoot.

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

• Like 1

Eat at Big Eds Pizza

Other than Big Ed's and taking Spots up on his offer, go into Knoxville. It's not even 15 miles from OR to West Knox.

Turkey creek/Lovell road has tons of resturants, stores and all kinds of stuff and is about 15 min east of Oak Ridge.

Guest nra37922

Get on I-140, Pellissippi Pky, and head toward Maryville get off on Westland Drive, Exit 3, and turn right go to Northshore Drive and turn right, go about one mile and turn right into Lakeshire Tavern and eat outside overlooking the marina.

Thanks guys. Stan, I will be at Y-12 for the training lol

Probably at New Hope Center ?  carry snacks. 

Best Mexican - El Cantarito across from ORPD

Best Grill - Buffalo MTN Grill

Best BBQ -  Captain Tom's in Oliver Springs (Wed - Sun)

Skip Big Ed's (ain't what it used to be) and Lincolns (BTW, it's posted).

Only decent OR attraction (that's available) will be the Energy Museum (and it is worth the visit).

Clinton -  Check out the Museum of Appalachia.

Knoxville -

-Calhouns on the River, upper room with view (order their Porter craft beer, and be sure to feed the carp off of the dock)

- Littons Resturant (ask for a specialty)

Lafollette -

- Elk at Hatfield Knob

- McCloud MTN restuarant (get reservations)

Smoky Mountains - sychronized fire-flies (lightning bugs)

Edited by R_Bert

BTW, due to last week's security fubars, *if* you are actually going through through the Bear Creek Road (East) portal (and not New Hope Center which is outside), give yourself 30-45 minutes extra time.  Seriously (at least for your first day). 

Hopefully, your hosts have arranged for transport from the hotel and accounted for this.  (If you are going to CTA on the west end, then you will have no additional schedule issues)

Edited by R_Bert

Knoxville -

-Calhouns on the River, upper room with view (order their Porter craft beer, and be sure to feed the carp off of the dock)

I would not recommend Calhoun's to someone from Memphis.  It's awful BBQ.

• Like 2

I second Eat at Big Eds Pizza.

I would stir away from Lincolns as I have had enough bad experiences there to not go back.  Funny thing, I liked it but the people the run it and the work there seem like they always wanted to run me out.  Used to go there after work, howeverI don't feel welcome there and I won't let my shadow cross their floor again.

In west Knox,  Irish Times Pub, and if that is not your style beside it is the Smokey Mtn Brewery.

Edited by vontar

I would stir away from Lincolns as I have had enough bad experiences there to not go back. Funny thing, I liked it but the people the run it and the work there seem like they always wanted to run me out. Used to go there after work, howeverI don't feel welcome there and I won't let my shadow cross their floor again.

In west Knox, Irish Times Pub, and if that is not your style beside it is the Smokey Mtn Brewery.

I had never noticed Lincolns being posted and Ive never had a bad experience there, but apparently ymmv lol

Maybe for the memorabilia on the walls. 

I know this is sacriledge, ....As for pizza in OR....no better than Gattis, etc. Maybe worse for the price.

But... It does beat the heck out of Lincolns for atmosphere and experience (and is not posted).

Too bad New York Ave Pizza folded. 

B.

Lived there for a while, not much to do right there.  I spent a lot of time fishing for trout below Norris Dam just up the road in Norris.  I always really enjoyed Big Ed's and that was the first thing I thought of to do in OR.  Lots of beautiful scenery to be seen just out of town.  Usually did my drinking at the Applebee's, I think it burned or closed after I moved though.

Edited by 10-Ring

I had never noticed Lincolns being posted and Ive never had a bad experience there, but apparently ymmv lol

As far as Lincolns being posted, I wouldn't really call it a good post, but right before you walk in the door, turn 90 degee to the left and look at the window on the side and you will see a small gun buster.  I heard they were posted and it took me a few visits to spot it.

Edited by vontar

To me Big Ed's is just OK. The pizza is all right, but the atmosphere is better. It's a restaurant with a lot of history and roots in Oak Ridge, that's what makes it special. If you stick to places in Oak Ridge only, you should go just to say you did.

Right around the corner from Big Ed's is the Market House Restaurant, The Soup Kitchen, and Dean's (in my order of favorite's). Market house makes everything fresh from local farmers. Plus they have a nice selection of beers.

Razzleberries is right down the street from Big Ed's and has a great selection of home made ice cream. Great place, and really nice owners / staff.

For things to do there's not a lot of options in Oak Ridge, The Science Museum is definitely worth the trip. Not sure if they are open in the evening though.Over on Melton Lake Drive the Marina makes a nice place to walk/run. Not sure if a bunch of guys on a business trip want to do that, but thought I'd mention it.

If you bring a Mountain Bike, Haw Ridge park is a stellar place to ride. Probably one of the best in the country. Trails are moderate to very difficult. There are also a bunch of geocaches in Haw Ridge if you just want to walk around.

The Arboretum is really close to Y12 and has some nice walking trails.

Coal Creek Armory and Frontier Firearms have indoor ranges and gun rentals if you want to do that.

As mentioned, there are several red light cameras in Oak Ridge. They are well marked ahead of the intersection, so just be observant, or obey the speed limits, and you'll be OK.