semi-auto short barrel shotgun(NFA)

who makes a semi-auto short barrel shotgun? i know that you can do short barrels on saiga 12s but what about something like say a remington 1100 or 11-87? or some other semi-auto shotgun

looking for something comparable to the serbu super shorty

Edited by nightrunner
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Serbu SS is actually classified as an AOW, not a SBS. Which is good since you only have to pay $5 for the stamp, versus $200 for a SBS.

I have never seen a semi-auto AOW like the Serbu. I am not even sure a gas operated system would cycle reliably with that short of a barrel. Maybe it would. :rolleyes:

The Serbu SS is actually classified as an AOW, not a SBS. Which is good since you only have to pay $5 for the stamp, versus $200 for a SBS.

I have never seen a semi-auto AOW like the Serbu. I am not even sure a gas operated system would cycle reliably with that short of a barrel. Maybe it would. :rolleyes:

i knew about the AOW status on the Serbu.

i was wondering about the gas system. i think it would have to be tuned for the specific barrel length it was used on. i dont think you could just take a 18" barrelled remington 1100 and cut the barrel down to say 8" and put on a pistol grip and expect it to operate reliably.

Yeah, +1 on the custom tuning. They would definitely have to make the gas ports larger. It could probably be done, I just have never seen one.

The shortest barrel I have seen on a semi-auto shotgun was a 10" on a Benelli M1. Of course, the Benelli is recoil operated. I have a Benelli M1 SBS with a 14" barrel, and it certainly has a bit of recoil.

Guest janwbrown616
who makes a semi-auto short barrel shotgun? i know that you can do short barrels on saiga 12s but what about something like say a remington 1100 or 11-87? or some other semi-auto shotgun

looking for something comparable to the serbu super shorty

I have an 11-87 Police Special with an 18" barrel and 7 round magazine.

works for me....

Remington makes a 14" 11-87 and 1100... Benelli makes a 14" M1 and M4. Haven't seen any shorter than that, probably hard to tune the gas system. But, if I was going to do it, I'd lean towards a shortened Benelli M1, which doesn't rely on gas.

Guest sling
Remington makes a 14" 11-87 and 1100... Benelli makes a 14" M1 and M4. Haven't seen any shorter than that, probably hard to tune the gas system. But, if I was going to do it, I'd lean towards a shortened Benelli M1, which doesn't rely on gas.

+1 on the Benelli M1. Shot a few of them and they're really nice. They do have a kick to em.

Guest Coal Creek Armory

Very true. Anything shorter would need to be in pump configuration to cycle reliably.

That being said, we are a Benelli 'tactical' dealer and can order you the M2 or M4 SBS if you're interested.

We are also a Remington 'tactical' dealer and can handle those for you as well.

I'd really love to see one of these FN SLP guns in an SBS configuration... I love mine, but it's a bit long for anything but outdoors competition.

absolutely my preferences for the base gun were FN SLP, remington 1100, remington 11-87, benelli M4, possibly a mossberg 930.

SOG International in the last couple of dealer flyers I have gotten in are advertising used 14" Remington 1187's for sale for $599.

34" overall, 3" chamber, cylinder bore, extended mag tube for 6 rounds total, and adjustable ghost ring sights.