Getting some chickens

As long as someone is home to receive the package there is nothing wrong with ordering online, in fact they typically toss in a few additional "packing peanuts" just in case one or two doesn't survive, that's typically how they get to places like Rural King & Tractor Supply & places like that anyway ...

The Holiday Inn...

Generally, how long can you expect eggs from a chicken before they slack off / stop? This is my first experience with chickens and they're 2-1/2 years old now and not laying like they use to.

Production Red eggs are very tasty to us and the neighbors.

DSCN0073.jpg

The Holiday Inn...

Generally, how long can you expect eggs from a chicken before they slack off / stop? This is my first experience with chickens and they're 2-1/2 years old now and not laying like they use to.

DSCN0073.jpg

That's a sweet coop. Is that straw on the ground?

Have a question?

Where do y'all get your chicks / chickens to start your brood, mail order or locally?

Here, http://www.poultryhollow.org/new-page-2.htm

About 30 mins from my place, you a bit further.

The Holiday Inn...

You are at the end of their time at laying, from what I have been told and read.

Edited by RED333

TimeStepper,

Winters down here are a lot shorter & much milder than they are up in Indiana, so that probably makes it a little easier on the chickens to keep laying year round.

I'll have to remember to take that into account when I build another coop & run, since I don't have to worry about sub-zero temps & snow piling up several feet and such.

My current house is within city limits though so it'll have to wait til I can move out to the out-skirts.

I'm originally from the High Plains of Western Kansas myself, so I know about rough winters. An insulated hen house with a heat lamp and heated watering bowls kept egg production at about 1/2 or 2/3 most years...

My bantams laying slowed down more than my RIR's & RS's, my grandpaw used to keep barred plymouth rocks and they layed almost as good as my RS's did in the winter months.

I had a under-coop run though & that helped w/production in colder months, they still had enough shelter down there that I could open the under-coop ramp during day light hours, granted the snow would bank up on it but because I used a small sized mesh the under-coop run would remain relatively snow free (for the most part anyway).

The coop itself was of course insulated & heated, but exposure to real day-light helps them lay better than artificial light I think (at least that's the conclusion I've come too).

Have a question?

Where do y'all get your chicks / chickens to start your brood, mail order or locally?

Around here chicks are only available in early spring at a couple of places like Rural King. The majority are "straight run" and some sexed Production Reds and that's about it. Would like to get some other breeds but I'm hesitant about going on-line and ordering them (transport).

P.S. Speaking of the egg, on occasion I'll get an egg twice the size if AA large. Have to handle it with kid gloves because the shell is so thin it usually breaks just picking it up. I like the double yokes also but, out of maybe the last 1,500 eggs, only two were doubles.

I allowed a hen from some Bantams that were given to me by my BIL's uncle to hatch a few and that is where my current 'crop' of Bantams came from.  The White Leghorns originally came from the Crossville flea market.

There is an Amish community not too far from where I live (they are in Delano, TN - quite a ways from you but there might be a similar community in your area) that operates a produce market.  On the last Saturday of every month, they also have an animal sale there.  I have been thinking of checking that sale out to see what kinds of chickens they might have available.  As I don't have a large flock and am mostly interested in eggs for personal/family use, I would kind of like to have a couple of 'unusual' hens - maybe some laced ones like golden laced Wyandottes or similar that would be more 'pretty' to look at than 'regular' chickens - but I would want them to still be at least decent layers.

Another good option is to check and see if your local 4H has a chicken sale/auction.  The 4H members who participate are given X number of chickens to raise and they have to auction off at least part of them.  These chickens are usually 'sex links' so they are usually good, consistent layers.  You might pay slightly more (but only slightly, if at all) than some other sources but you can be pretty sure that the chickens are in good health and have been well cared for (maybe even pampered.)  Another advantage to buying them from the 4H auction is that by the time they are auctioned off the hens are usually either already laying or just about to start.  Personally, from my very limited experience, while watching chicks grow up and mature can be interesting and fun, I'd rather buy pullets or very young layers and not have to hassle with little chicks.

Edited by JAB

I allowed a hen from some Bantams that were given to me by my BIL's uncle to hatch a few and that is where my current 'crop' of Bantams came from.  The White Leghorns originally came from the Crossville flea market.

There is an Amish community not too far from where I live (they are in Delano, TN - quite a ways from you but there might be a similar community in your area) that operates a produce market.  On the last Saturday of every month, they also have an animal sale there.  I have been thinking of checking that sale out to see what kinds of chickens they might have available.  As I don't have a large flock and am mostly interested in eggs for personal/family use, I would kind of like to have a couple of 'unusual' hens - maybe some laced ones like golden laced Wyandottes or similar that would be more 'pretty' to look at than 'regular' chickens - but I would want them to still be at least decent layers.

Another good option is to check and see if your local 4H has a chicken sale/auction.  The 4H members who participate are given X number of chickens to raise and they have to auction off at least part of them.  These chickens are usually 'sex links' so they are usually good, consistent layers.  You might pay slightly more (but only slightly, if at all) than some other sources but you can be pretty sure that the chickens are in good health and have been well cared for (maybe even pampered.)  Another advantage to buying them from the 4H auction is that by the time they are auctioned off the hens are usually either already laying or just about to start.  Personally, from my very limited experience, while watching chicks grow up and mature can be interesting and fun, I'd rather buy pullets or very young layers and not have to hassle with little chicks.

Never even thought about that, thank you!

Along with my Rhode Island Reds, Americaunas, and a pair of Bantams, I have a few young Silkies, about 5 months old. I picked up a 9 month old Delaware and a Wyandotte at the flea market about a month ago and shortly after, two of my Silkies got very lethargic and died within 12 hours of me noticing them. No visible injuries whatsoever. I noticed the new Delaware hen pecking the tops of the little Silkies heads when they would try to eat at the feeding pan with her. I removed the Delaware from the lot and haven't had any more chickens die since. So, I'm wondering, is that common for a hen to kill other hens??

Yes, the terms "hen pecked" & "pecking order" are derived from that behavior.

When they do this are they keeping the other hens from eating or literally killing them with the pecking?

When they do this are they keeping the other hens from eating or literally killing them with the pecking?

Depends on where each of the chickens are in the flock's "pecking order".

They have an alpha/beta type ranking ladder, much like a pack of dogs would, some of the alpha hens (&/or roos) can get a little aggressive, even down-right mean, prehaps even vicious.

Flock politics really isn't something you can control/fix, the only real solution is to either seperate one/other, or cull one/other.
Well, I can vouch for the vicious part. That hen I had would raise her head up as high as she could, then come down with authority and peck the crap out of my little ones heads while they were bent over eating. They didn't have time to starve to death. I'm pretty certain she was the cause of their demise. Funny thing is, I've had chickens several times over the last 20 years and I've never seen that kind of behavior before.

The Holiday Inn...

DSCN0073.jpg

So do these chickens ever leave that pen area? Can't tell if there is a way out for them. The reason I ask is I have always been interested in getting some but don't know much about them other than they make tasty eggs. Do they only need a small space to "roam" or what? I live in the city limits (still a rural town with no HOA or anything; cow pasture behind my back yard) and have a dog in the back yard so I doubt they would stick around too long with her chasing them. If this is all the space they need though I may get some!

Dennis.... that`s usually the time they will be come less productive.. It takes a lot out of them to having to pay everyday.. it wears them down. Battery chicks( think  commercial production hens) get tossed into the fryer less than a year after hatching

At 2 1/2 years you got quite a bit of eggs out of them I think:)

We had chickens , turkeys and Guinea fowl.. we locked them up at night and during the day  we let them free range. We still had possum trying to get into the coop. caught one trying to corner  all my hens.. poor girls  where just terrified and made a fuss..lol

We started  with about 4 young Buff Orps. and 2 Royal Palm turkeys poults and about 10 guinea keets ...they where all housed together  for about a week or so.. then we let them out but left the coop door open so they can go in.. at night they would  go in until they where  full  grown .. then the guineas and hens usually went to roost into a tree at  night.It worked good for us.

We got rid of them a few years ago but now ready to start over again.

This time we are using a carport. Will put fence around it and get it fully enclosed.. because I am getting a peacock and another pet turkey.The chickens will free range again.

BTW.. Guinea fowl are really good watchdogs.. plus they do a really good job on the ticks and other small insects.

And  you can sit there for hours watching them , they are funny.

As long as someone is home to receive the package there is nothing wrong with ordering online, in fact they typically toss in a few additional "packing peanuts" just in case one or two doesn't survive, that's typically how they get to places like Rural King & Tractor Supply & places like that anyway ...

Good companys that care will not ship during summer .. because they will die in transit..

Morristown and most other citys have  a trading  day for farm animals..

Have a question?

Around here chicks are only available in early spring at a couple of places like Rural King. The majority are "straight run" and some sexed Production Reds and that's about it. Would like to get some other breeds but I'm hesitant about going on-line and ordering them (transport).

P.S. Speaking of the egg, on occasion I'll get an egg twice the size if AA large. Have to handle it with kid gloves because the shell is so thin it usually breaks just picking it up. I like the double yokes also but, out of maybe the last 1,500 eggs, only two were doubles.

calcium deficiency will do that. and some  birds are prone for double eggs more so than others ..

put like 2 lbs to 100 lbs of layer rations.. that should cure it. I am sure there is a formula but  this is about the norm for it...

weird I added something but  it did not  show..

anyway..Young hens don't have the trick down yet to lay  one egg at a time.. they have 2 yolks at a time and that's how that happends. once they get older it should taper

off  if not  stop all together

Edited by Sour Kraut

Pickling eggs are a good way to preserve any surplus eggs, I use same recipe as I do for my dill pickles, its quick, easy & they can be stored w/out refrigerating.

Hell. I just save the juice from store bought dill pickles. It works well, too. And it's green. Get it? :dunno:

I just got chickens, too. I got them for long term shtf and what not. One of my big things was sustaining the flock long term. I was trying to figure how many roosters I needed and who would have to breed whose daughters to keep from inbreeding. But after tons of reading and asking I found out It's ok to inbreed chickens. You cull the ones with less than desirable traits and only keep the best and strongest. After a couple of generations the bad genes will be gone and you will have a good sustainable blood line that can possibly go on forever.

RED:  Contratulations on the chicken thing!!  My uncle (...who lived next door out in the country when i wuz a boy...) loved chicken and raised all sorts of the weird bantam varieties.  I always liked to check 'em out.  Chickens come in an almost endless variety and God seems to have outdone Himself with the more humorous varieties.  They are real cool; amazing to look upon.  

The main problem with the bantams is that the eggs and drumsticks are a bit small.  Ya have to eat more of them to fill up.  HEHEHE.... Good luck with the chicken project. 

PS-- FORGOT TO TELL YA.  MY DAD RAISED GAME CHICKENS. Been flogged and run off a bunch of times. Get yourself a few, and you will have "attack chickens".  They are tough.  I saw some yesterday (...in the rain...) under or in front of their coops.  They are a great thing. PS -- There are "game" bantams out there too..

chickenless leroy

Edited by leroy

I have the coolest little Bantam rooster ever. I'm not sure what variety he is, but his feet are covered with feathers and he raises his feet really high, almost like a walking horse, and he stomps around.....then he does this little dance thing when he's showing off for the hens. The feathers on his feet make his feet look HUGE and it's just hilarious to watch him. Then I have Silkies and they are absolutely beautiful with their feathers that look and feel like fur, and they're super tame and let you pick them up and pet them.

I just love my chickens! :)  Anyone that doesn't have any (and can where they live) really needs to get some! Not only do they produce food daily, but they are a real joy to have around.

Edited by PackinMama
  • Like 1