Beretta Nano Malfunctions

So a while back I picked up a Beretta Nano for use as a smaller CCW piece.  Today I finally got it out and shot it.  Lets just say I experienced a few malfunctions, heres the breakdown:

Speer Lawman 124gr.  70 shots fired, 8 FTE

Winchester WB 115gr.  50 shots fired, 4 FTE

So, exactly a 10% failure rate.

I have not yet run any factory Gold Dots through it, that will probably come soon.  After my morning shooting session I am less than thrilled with this fine piece of Beretta craftsmanship - not sure I want to feed it anymore.

I did clean and lube it before heading to the range, and I cleaned and lubed it again after the first 50 rounds.

So, would you guys send it back to Beretta, or put another hundred or so rounds through it hoping that it will 'break in'?

Anyone else have a similar situation?

Edited by TNcitizen22
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that too.  I tried multiple times to induce a failure by limp wristing the gun but I was unable to produce a malfunction.

The extractor isn't even pulling the rounds out of the chamber.  They are still fully seated as the next round get stuck behind them.

Don't send it back yet. The Nano needs a break in period of about 200 rounds & Beretta suggests using SD or +p for the break in. Is there a chance this an early production Nano? Beretta had some guide rod/spring problems with some of the early production models, but I think Beretta provides the new guide rods/springs for free. They also changed the design of the slide/barrel a few months into production because of issues. A lot of guys had some problems during the initial break in period, but that was usually with standard or under powered ammo. After 150-200 rounds most never had any more issues. Keep in mind that the Nano is over built & was originally designed around the .40 s&w round & it craves SD & +p ammo. Hopefully Beretta will kick it in gear & release it in .40 s&w soon.

Here's a video from Beretta showing the 1,000+ round Nano test with a dry, unlubed pistol with +p ammunition. In the video he also explains what ammo he used for the test & that 200 rounds of SD ammo is suggested for proper break in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xOsIr3xsv2w

I have one and the first session shooting 200 rounds of various brands I experienced a number of stovepipes. I concluded it was me and not the weapon. My next session I made sure I was not limp wristing and keeping the gun in battery at all times and ran a couple boxes of cheap Tula through it. No issues. I think the gun was designed with an extra heavy recoil spring for its size (compare to a Glock lets say) That said, try only +p or 124/147 grain ammo and see if that works. If not then I would send it back. I'm well over 500 rounds with no issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Clean it, try again, see if it does it in the first 20 rounds.   If so, maybe break in, maybe needs work. 
Small guns sometimes get dirty faster than full sized and even 50 is significant.

Edited by Jonnin

Never had an issue with mine straight out of box. Shot over 200 rounds. Might consider contacting Beretta.

Beretta sucks on warranty stuff. If you can't get the gun store to send it for you, you have to pay the shipping, and it doesn't even go to Beretta in MD on the first go round but to a "service center."

And more confusingly, there are two different pages of these service centers, and they don't jibe with each other.

- OS

• 4 weeks later...

The early Nano's had extractor issues. Beretta has since beefed up the extractor. I bought mine in April and it has been 100% flawless. I would contact BUSA.

+1. Compare an eary manufactured Nano next to a new one. They changed the side design on them too.

I had one of the Nano pistols for a while. Not sure of the production date though, but I bought it about 16 months ago I believe.  Anyway, mine functioned perfectly right out of the box with 115 grain and with some +P mixed in for about 50 rounds.

I will tell you I did not enjoy shooting this little firebreathing cannon. Yeah, I admit it. Too much of a wimp for it. But it did function well during the time I had it. If I remember correctly I traded it to a member here who will remain nameless unless he chooses to comment on it.