Pictoral showing different lengths of AR15 quad rails

TGO David

• Administrator

This picture demonstrates how differing lengths of quad rail handguards look on an AR15 platform rifle with a 14.5" barrel. It might be useful for those who like to window shop and daydream about putting together a rifle of their own but aren't sure how different combinations would look.

The handguards in this pictoral are all LaRue Tactical.

M-4ProfilesUnderLaRueRails.jpg

Are the longer ones free floated? It seems like the front sight being mounted that far out on a tube could cause accuracy issues. Or is that not a problem?

• Administrator
Are the longer ones free floated? It seems like the front sight being mounted that far out on a tube could cause accuracy issues. Or is that not a problem?

Those are all free floated. LaRue's rails are very rigid so I doubt seriously that a front sight mounted on them is any less accurate than one on a front sight block.

the 13.2 is overkill.

then its perfect.

actually id prefer a 14.5" quad rail for a 16" rifle(should look approxiamately the same as the 13.2 on a 14.5" rifle) but im not aware of anyone that makes one of those.

i dont want it for the space/ ability to mount tacticool accessories on it but simply for the look, something to cover up the barrel

THANKS! for the pictorial

• 5 months later...
I like the 9 myself, but I'm a mid length kinda guy.

+1

I am too.

Great post Tungsten.

I would just like to know, why the hell quad rails are freak'n expensive?!?!?!

Guest Halfpint

Thanks for the pic, Tungsten. :poop:

I'm looking forward to what my tax return is for . . . Larue 20" upper, with a 13" rail. :shrug:

I'd go for the mid-length on a carbine, though.

• 2 months later...
Guest david_g17
+1

I am too.

Great post Tungsten.

I would just like to know, why the hell quad rails are freak'n expensive?!?!?!

I agree, they seem a bit overpriced for what they are.

• Administrator
I agree, they seem a bit overpriced for what they are.

Not really. Billet aluminum isn't exactly cheap; neither is the cost of machine hours or the cost of having the pieces anodized. Plus you have to pay someone to do the mechanical drawings in the first place, lawyers to document anything that is being patented, pay for the patenting process itself, pay lawyers to defend your patent(s), etc.

People don't realize what goes into these things.

Not really. Billet aluminum isn't exactly cheap; neither is the cost of machine hours or the cost of having the pieces anodized. Plus you have to pay someone to do the mechanical drawings in the first place, lawyers to document anything that is being patented, pay for the patenting process itself, pay lawyers to defend your patent(s), etc.

People don't realize what goes into these things.

I'd say somewhere between $100-$300.:up:

• Administrator
I'd say somewhere between $100-$300.;)

Suppose it is. The additional $200-300 you're paying also has to cover the salaries of the people at the company and somewhere in there makes the company a profit. It's the beauty of capitalism; people are allowed to make a profit in this country. :cry:

When people ask me, "why is this so high" or "man that is high" my standard response is, "well i cant make one for that much". Just think about what the mills and CNC machines cost and the maintenence cost plus paying the people with the skills to run them. Then add in the cost of raw material and you will find out why this kind of stuff "cost so much". As far and the long rails, most people gets the long ones for the extended site radius, not to fill up with tacticool stuff.

-Jason G

I know the topic was the rails, but I am curious about the sights on those rifles. I recently got a 10/22 and want to put some sights on it and am not really familiar with all that's available. I have a red dot sight on my 9mm rifle and I like those, but was thinking of looking at different kinds for the .22. I'm not a hunter usually, and the .22 is tactically configured ( I know, I know, lol) with a collapsible stock, pistol grip, forend grip and picatinny rails for a sight. Anyone got any suggestions? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money and Id prefer something kinda durable too. Should I stick to a red dot or?

• 3 months later...
Guest canynracer

OK, so lemme ask this cause I am pretty new to this...

I have a gas block that has no rail, no sight...if I got the 11" for my 16" barrel, would this just go over the gas block so I can install a front flip up sight?

I REALLY dont want to change my gasblock to one with a rail, but I really need iron sights for backup.