Nashville residents, if you complain about your water you are a terrorist

So I wonder how long before they start charging people with federal crimes for complaining? Yet another instance where the government, this time our state government, is using threats to silence critics. And here we thought Tennessee was one of the better states but it seems as though our great state has jumped onto the tyrannical bandwagon. After all it is to scare someone with the threat of jail than fix the problem.

Honestly at what point will it progress that you cannot question anything without fear of being prosecuted. My wife and I were saying earlier that you have to be careful what you say and who you say it to. I am not one to generally get too worked up about stuff like this but this is insane.

In the link there is an audio recording of a meeting.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/21/official-says-water-complaints-act-of-terrorism/2445071/

NASHVILLE -- A Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation deputy director warned a group of Maury County residents that unfounded complaints about water quality could be considered an "act of terrorism."

"We take water quality very seriously. Very, very seriously," said Sherwin Smith, deputy director of TDEC's Division of Water Resources, according to audio recorded by attendees. "But you need to make sure that when you make water quality complaints you have a basis, because federally, if there's no water quality issues, that can be considered under Homeland Security an act of terrorism."

"Can you say that again, please?" an audience member can be heard asking on the audio.

Smith went on in the recording to repeat the claim almost verbatim.

The audio was recorded May 29 by Statewide Organizing for Community eMpowerment, a Smyrna-based civic action group that had been working with Maury County residents to tackle water quality complaints in Mount Pleasant. Residents there have complained to the state for months, saying some children had become ill drinking the water. The meeting was organized by State Rep. Sheila Butt, R-Columbia, and attended by residents, TDEC and local officials.

TDEC said it was looking into what had been said at the meeting and that Smith would not be available for comment.

"In terms of the comments made by a member of the Water Resources Division at the meeting, we are just receiving the information and looking into this on our end," spokeswoman Meg Lockhart said. "The department would like to fully assess what was said in the meeting. I am told that the meeting was far longer than the audio clip provided by SOCM and that Mr. Smith actually clarified his remarks. But again, we are looking into it."

“You need to make sure that when you make water quality complaints you have a basis, because federally, if there's no water quality issues, that can be considered under Homeland Security an act of terrorism.”
— Sherwin Smith, a A Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation deputy director
The comment shocked and outraged attendees, who saw it as an attempt to silence complaints, said Brad Wright, organizer for SOCM in Middle Tennessee.

"I think it's just to quash us complicating life for them," he said.

Joycelene Johns, 68, has lived in Mount Pleasant off and on for about 30 years and has put up with cloudy, odd-tasting water for years.

"I'll drink it," she said, "but I pray before the first sip."

But she said Smith's comments had been harder to stomach than her drinking water.

"I was sitting there with my mouth open," she said. "I couldn't believe he was saying that." The message she took away was: "Leave us alone. Don't come back anymore. We're not going to continue on dealing with whatever problem you may have."

Butt, who organized the meeting, also was shocked.

"I think that we need to be very careful with how we use the words 'terrorist' and 'terrorism,' " she said. "I thought it was out of context. That did not apply to anything that we were discussing at the meeting."

Butt said the water issue had been marred by "communication breakdowns" by both sides, which wouldn't be made easier with such inflammatory comments being made

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

this sounds like just another bunch of anti government BS. the director clearly states they had contacted those complaining about bad water for testing and all had refused. if they don't want to be part of the solution let them drink their bad water. Yes the government sucks at this time but I'm tired of hearing people complain about problems they wont even attempt to remedy. I can also understand the point that making false claims about water to create unrest in the population could be seem as an act of terrorism. for my part if meeting like this cant be posted in their entirety they should not be posted at all. give all the facts and information or leave it alone. 

• Like 1

I'd be interested to know the specifics surrounding the issue cause water supplies are a pretty serious issue.  Here in Fairview the water was tested and below standards so the .gov forced the Fairview water district to shut down and sent everything to the Dickson water authority.

Could be bad water, but there are tests that can be done and get the EPA involved.  But again, I don't know if they've exhausted those routes and are stuck between a rock and a hard place or if they're just raising cain and it could even be some really old houses with crappy plumbing and residue from that.

So if you make a complaint, and a State or Federal Agency finds it unsubstantiated, then you could be investigated and charged with Terrorism... I guess at that  point, is where the NSA goes to it's new Utah Data Center and starts combing through all your old phone calls, text messages, emails and internet posts, to see who you were talking to and then a couple of steps beyond that, to see who the people you talked to or who read your messages talked too or messaged.  Yes, just as Ayn Rand prophesied in Atlas Shrugged, the Government is going to control us all, by making us criminals.

Wow!  Talk about a way to shut people up!  Better be right when you make a complaint or you could get a free all expense paid trip to Marion Super Max!

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1

Sherwin Smith, Deputy Director

Division of Water Resources

615-532-0445
sherwin.smith@tn.gov

http://www.tn.gov/environment/srf/lpcontacts.shtml

Sherwin Smith has been appointed as the Deputy Director of Field Office Operations. Sherwin is a 23-year state employee with 18 years’ experience in the former Division of Water Supply. Sherwin has served in a variety of leadership positions, including Enforcement Coordinator, Field Office Manager, and Environmental Program Manager over multiple statewide programs. Most recently, he was responsible for the State Revolving Fund (SRF) Loan Program while continuing to lead five statewide programs and supervise the seven field offices for the Division of Water Supply. Sherwin’s accomplishments also include implementing state standards in critical areas such as drinking water supply, safe dams, laboratory certifications, and operator certifications.

http://www.environmentallawnews.com/tdecs-division-of-water-resources-adds-two-deputy-directors/

So if you make a complaint, and a State or Federal Agency finds it unsubstantiated, then you could be investigated and charged with Terrorism... I guess at that  point, is where the NSA goes to it's new Utah Data Center and starts combing through all your old phone calls, text messages, emails and internet posts, to see who you were talking to and then a couple of steps beyond that, to see who the people you talked to or who read your messages talked too or messaged.  Yes, just as Ayn Rand prophesied in Atlas Shrugged, the Government is going to control us all, by making us criminals.

Wow!  Talk about a way to shut people up!  Better be right when you make a complaint or you could get a free all expense paid trip to Marion Super Max!

I still can't believe you can be investigated as a terrorist for making a simple complaint, that fascist clown has to be making this up. If anyone should be investigated for terrorism it's this jack boot Sherwin Smith for threatening people for exercising their 1st. amendment rights.

• Like 1

I still can't believe you can be investigated as a terrorist for making a simple complaint, that fascist clown has to be making this up. If anyone should be investigated for terrorism it's this jack boot Sherwin Smith for threatening people for exercising their 1st. amendment rights.

Personally, I hope he is making the whole thing up, because if he wasn't and what he stated is true, then we are well on our way down that slippery slope of no return.

I have to agree with Glock55 about one thing though.  If you are going to point fingers you better stand up when the time comes.  The fact that not one person allowed the state to come in and test their water was not a good thing at all.  I've worked with TDEC in the water/wastewater industry for a long time and I have to agree that they get very concerned about this sort of stuff and they want to see these utility districts run right.  However, that's no reason to call someone a terrorist and have them thrown into jail!

My water sucks!!

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

I Brita filter my water just to make coffee, the good thing about it is I don't have to add any Clorox to my washer because our tap water has enough clorine in it to make whites whiter and colors brighter.

• Like 2

Personally, I hope he is making the whole thing up, because if he wasn't and what he stated is true, then we are well on our way down that slippery slope of no return.

I have to agree with Glock55 about one thing though.  If you are going to point fingers you better stand up when the time comes.  The fact that not one person allowed the state to come in and test their water was not a good thing at all.  I've worked with TDEC in the water/wastewater industry for a long time and I have to agree that they get very concerned about this sort of stuff and they want to see these utility districts run right.  However, that's no reason to call someone a terrorist and have them thrown into jail!

Well it makes no difference if the complaints are unfounded, he could have pointed out that no one allowed their water to be tested but labeling people as terrorists is absolutly absurd and shouldn't be tolerated whatsoever. This man should be fired from his position.

Better start watching out for drones flying over his house.  :)

Not seen any drones, but the clay pigeons have changed from Orange to white and make a strange sound.  When you hit them just right, they put off a nice pyro display that one can only image is due to the newly added  tannerite.

Edited by vontar

While I understand the grave concern this situation warrants I would like to point out this has nothing to do specifically with Nashville residents. the very disturbing comments from the tdec deputy was addressed to maury county residents & organizing members of socm (which doesn't have a nashville chapter). While I have issues with Nashville's fluoridation (please start a new topic if you want to talk about That) otherwise metro-davidson's water quality tests reasonably well and I can say anecdotally that in my opinion Nashville tap water does taste better than surrounding county tap water unfiltered, especially sumner (hendersonville in particular) county water.

TN is horrible when it comes to being environmentally conscious. TEDEC is a crap agency that has done nothing but make excuses and cover up deplorable acts. They couldn't care about water, fly ash spills, and now want to allow fracking ... And you thought the water now is bad .. Just wait . TEDEC makes Jodi Arias look like saint.. The director should be ousted immediately. Edited by Dustbuster
  • Moderators
This is a subject that is one of the few that makes me remember that I am spoiled as a Memphian when it comes to our water. Our tap water is cleaner and better tasting than most bottled waters out there. I admit it, I am mostly here to brag about Mempho; don't get to do that much.

As far as the asshat from TEDEC, I expect a non-apology apology to be issued soon. Regardless of the public statement, y'all know someone is getting their ass chewed for saying stupid shit in public.