Nashville residents, if you complain about your water you are a terrorist

• Administrator

So does anyone else see the point that this clown was trying to make?  Granted, he made it as awkwardly as humanly possible and all people heard was the word "terrorism" but it seems that what he was trying to say is that if you incite panic by spreading false claims of danger with the public water supply, you are in essence terrorizing the public. And he'd be right.

But the hubub it caused sure does make good press.

• Like 3

Seems to me that the point he was trying to make, was citizens should be scared of their Government, here in the U.S. of A., just like the Citizens in China, Iran, North Korea, Russia, Syria, etc, etc, etc...

Edited by Moped
  • Like 2

Occasionally, my tap water in north west Nashville smells like Chlorine. When we wintered in Florida at one camp ground, the water was literally brown.

I don't drink tap water... haven't in over 20 years. We double filter it. First, it goes through a Clear2O pitcher to get the big particles out. Then, it goes through a ZeroWater filter to get everything else out. The Zero filter will do it all, but it clogs up in a couple of weeks if you don't get the big particulates out first.

The folks complaining about water should get a field test kit and just use their smartphone to video the testing process. Then, they would have proof of their complaints.

I have a simple device that counts ppm (parts per million) of particulates. It came with the ZeroWater filter. Today, water quality is exceptionally good at only 114 ppm. After running through the two filters, it's 1 ppm.

• Like 1

The recording made it sound as though the "official" was threatening to charge people.

I know if I had water quality issues, and I think I do, I would have it tested. Unfortunately there is no way for me to have my water tested and that is why I filter every ounce I drink.

Dolomite, you can have your water tested.  There are several labs in the are that will come out and test it for you, if you don't trust the state to do it.  There are even kits you can purchase, for such things.

http://www.watertestingusa.com/pages/knoxville.html

http://www.microbac.com/our-laboratories/knoxville-division/

You can Bing the Drinking Water Test Kits.  But they are out there and affordable.

One other thing, some one mentioned sometimes having a strong smell of chlorine in their water. Whenever there is a break in the waterline, the utility may increase the dose of chlorine to avoid contamination of drinking water for a period of time.  I am on KUB water and I find mine to be as good as bottled water.  As a matter of fact, I rarely drink bottled water.  I consider it a big waste of money and it empty bottles take up a ton of space in our landfills.  It drives my wife and kids crazy, because I won't buy it.

Edited by Moped

So does anyone else see the point that this clown was trying to make?  Granted, he made it as awkwardly as humanly possible and all people heard was the word "terrorism" but it seems that what he was trying to say is that if you incite panic by spreading false claims of danger with the public water supply, you are in essence terrorizing the public. And he'd be right.

like shouting fire in a crowded movie theater. our society cant function in a constant state on chaos and distrust yet that is exactly what reports like this create.

The recording made it sound as though the "official" was threatening to charge people.

I know if I had water quality issues, and I think I do, I would have it tested. Unfortunately there is no way for me to have my water tested and that is why I filter every ounce I drink.

When the wife was doing peritoneal dialysis, we HAD to have our well water tested. (Having a tube in your side that WILL get wet requires it) Found our water supply had a slight tinge of chloroform bacteria.  Required that I pipe in County water or install a terribly expensive filter system, so I opted for the County supply and a less expensive filter, that would suffice for our needs.  Kept the well for toilets and outside water, (cuts down on charge by the county) but there are numerous firms who test water.

Edited by Worriedman

Sure he has a valid point. It is important and he is correct. Unfortunately, I think he is ill equipped to respond to the public from a public relations/customer service stand point. He may be an effective & competent individual in his field but socially speaking he used a cleaver when a scalpel would have been more appropriate. Rather than simply pointing out as glock55 did in 'shouting fire in a crowded theater' he instead provided what he felt was an unequivocal end to the discussion by leveraging the height of fear rather than encouraging better understanding of perspective on the issue.

Most people are going to view this as condescending and patronizing and get their back up without listening further let alone comprehending his view. It would be interesting to know if the unreleased portions where they claim he clarified actually did clarify or just compounded the problem.

like shouting fire in a crowded movie theater. our society cant function in a constant state on chaos and distrust yet that is exactly what reports like this create.

You really can't compare the two like that man, apples and oranges. It'd more akin to complaining about the temperature not being exactly right in the theater. If I can taste a distinct difference in the water and SEE it in the water, you're damn skippy I'll be calling someone but there are some people out there who will complain just for the sake of complaining, are they a nuisance? Yes but are they a terrorist, well, I'll let you decide.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy thread resurection Batman.

Just heard on the news a while ago, Sherwin Smith, deputy director of TDEC's Division of Water Resources, has been re-assigned whatever that means. I would re-assign him to lawn maintenance and bathroom sanitation duty at state buildings if it were up to me.

• Like 1

I drink the tap water in Oak Ridge at my home.  I do have it filtered before it goes in to my refrigerator.

However at work they have these fancy water filters and the water coming out of them is horrible.

However when I am back home I love natural spring water that I know where it comes from.

However in regards to this thread.  enjoy the following.

George Carlin, consider that your warming.  Hows the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egRgweL12Uc

Edited by vontar

Holy thread resurection Batman.

Just heard on the news a while ago, Sherwin Smith, deputy director of TDEC's Division of Water Resources, has been re-assigned whatever that means. I would re-assign him to lawn maintenance and bathroom sanitation duty at state buildings if it were up to me.

Yep, demoted: http://www.wsmv.com/story/22748838/tn-official-demoted-after-comparing-water-complaints-to-terrorism

He should have been fired for misconduct..

Agreed, we need to start holding the folks who have been intrusted with the public trust, accountable ... at every level of government.

While I have zero complaints about the water here in Ripley (the tap water is actually quite good here) I have lived in a couple parts of the country where it was horrid, potable though it may had been it tasted like ass-teresks & could not be consumed without first filtering the ass-teresk out of it.