Home Invasion Captured On Nanny Cam; Suspect On The Run

LINK: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/millburn-home-invasion-video_n_3495317.html

Police in New Jersey are using nanny cam footage to track down a robbery suspect who punched and choked a suburban mom while her terrified 3-year-old daughter watched.

At 10:30 a.m. Friday, the suspect kicked down the locked door of a Millburn, N.J., house and assaulted an unsuspecting homeowner....

I wonder how long it took him to kick through the door?  How much time would that give you to react?

Just saw the video on TV.  From the sound of the first kick, till he was beating her up, was about 5 seconds. He beat her a couple of times.  Kicked her in the face at least once.  Went through the house while she was stunned.  Then he saw the ring on her finger, beat her some more, stole the ring and then picked her up and threw her down the basement steps.  He did all this in front of the 4 year old.  She did not scream, because she was afraid if she did, her child would start screaming too and he might harm the child.

She literally had no time to retrieve a firearm, unless she was actually carrying in on her person.  You all should find the video and watch it.  It will make you think about how much time you actually have to react.

• Moderators

She literally had no time to retrieve a firearm, unless she was actually carrying in on her person. You all should find the video and watch it. It will make you think about how much time you actually have to react.

This is exactly the reason I carry even when at home.
  • Like 6

Just saw the video on TV.  From the sound of the first kick, till he was beating her up, was about 5 seconds. He beat her a couple of times.  Kicked her in the face at least once.  Went through the house while she was stunned.  Then he saw the ring on her finger, beat her some more, stole the ring and then picked her up and threw her down the basement steps.  He did all this in front of the 4 year old.  She did not scream, because she was afraid if she did, her child would start screaming too and he might harm the child.

She literally had no time to retrieve a firearm, unless she was actually carrying in on her person.  You all should find the video and watch it.  It will make you think about how much time you actually have to react.

This is exactly why I'm replacing the screws on my deadbolt strike plates with 3'' screws and getting the electronic ones that auto lock after 30 seconds so if someone forgets to lock the door, it will take care of it for you. Not saying this makes the door impervious but most doors fail at the frame where the locks click shut. Yes, home carry would be great but I can't honestly say I do it all the time. I like running around in my underwear too much!

And those of you who know me know that that might just be enough to scare them off anyway :) 

Edited by gnmwilliams
  • Moderators

Yes, home carry would be great but I can't honestly say I do it all the time. I like running around in my underwear too much! :)

I do too. Couple that with a gun belt and you should see the looks it earns from the wife! :lol:
  • Like 1
Guest AmericanWorkMule

Is there a video link to the entire incident?
Did he kick in the front door?
Is there a moment during the attack that he left her alone where she could've gotten to a handgun?
Could she even have a handgun in New Jersey?

Is there a video link to the entire incident?
Did he kick in the front door?
Is there a moment during the attack that he left her alone where she could've gotten to a handgun?
Could she even have a handgun in New Jersey?

I haven't found one...could be the police are keeping the entire video off line until they can capture this thug?

Guest AmericanWorkMule

2 hospitalized after La Verge home invasion

LaVergne, Tenn. -

La Vergne police are searching for more than one suspect involved in a home invasion late Tuesday afternoon.

The incident was reported around 3 p.m. at a residence in the 600 block of Blake Moore Drive.

Police said that multiple suspects entered the home.

Two people have been hospitalized. The condition of the victims is unknown at this time.

According to authorities, one child was inside the home at the time of the invasion. The child is not one of the hospitalized victims.

Police are currently searching for several suspects.

No arrests have been made.

No additional details were immediately released.

http://www.wkrn.com/story/22685345/police-search-for-suspect-involved-in-lavergne-home-invasion

Edited by AmericanWorkMule

She literally had no time to retrieve a firearm, unless she was actually carrying in on her person.

Which is exactly why both my wife and I have a pistol in our pockets all the time, even while in our home. There have been 2 rapes and 3 people killed within a 1 mile circle of our home. It's not a slum neighborhood either.
  • Moderators

There have been 2 rapes and 3 people killed within a 1 mile circle of our home. It's not a slum neighborhood either.

I see/hear this kind of thing said often and it drives me nuts. Folks tend to think that because they live in a "nice" neighborhood that they are safe. Or that "things like that don't happen here!" Well, actually if folks would look at the crime reports, yes, they do happen in your neighborhood. I liken burglaries and home invasions to the job hunting in a depressed area. If there aren't any jobs in your town, you move to where the jobs are. If you live in a nice area where folks have lots of nice, high end electronics, gadgets and recreational items, then for someone who has stealing for a job, you live where their job is. Unless the home invasion is drug dealer related, folks ain't invading folks in the hood for property. Ain't nobody in the hood got loot like the folks in the burbs do, dope boys excluded.
*Please don't take this as a personal attack of any kind, only using your statement to illustrate a point.*

Edited by Chucktshoes

if there was a gun in the basement she would have had time.

Interesting (and frightening).  My wife doesn't like the idea of carrying gun on her person while at home.  Though we do keep the doors locked and as someone said, I've replaced the strike plate screws with 3" deck screws. 

Seems this situation would force the mom into a pretty terrible decision.  Run for the gun, or run for the kids?  Clearly there isn't time for both.  Since this mom didn't have a gun handy, I'd say she made the right choice.  She's just fortunate the outcome wasn't worse.