Finer sights for your Ruger Single Six.

I want to use my single six for varmint hunting, but the sights that Ruger put on the gun from factory are horrible for, well, everything. They are too wide in my opinion. So I found this article, http://www.chuckhawks.com/sight_improvements.htm , but it was kind of confusing as to what I should order. So I did more research and ordered my stuff from midway.

You will need this base, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/928082/marbles-front-sight-ramp-100-height-375-dovetail-slot-for-625-barrel-steel-blue?cm_vc=S014 Marble's stock #072310

And this sight, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/432350/marbles-front-sight-290-height-340-width-steel-blue-1-16-gold-bead?cm_vc=S014 , Marble's stock #502921 or a different bead on this if that is what interestes you. I wanted a small gold bead. Edit! This sight was too low for my use, I ran out of adjustment on the rear sight. I used a .375" instead!

You will reuse the stock sight screw. The one they ship with the base didn't work for me. The factory screw will have to be shortened. I did mine with a table top grinder. I installed the base for fit, took it back off, used locktite and then reinstalled the base.

dMkzJqfs.jpg?1

I had to file the screw head down with a small file to get it flush.

You will then need to install the sight on the base. I copy/pasted Marble Arms instructions for this. GO SLOW. YOU ARE NOT IN A HURRY. If things get frustrating walk away.

"If the front sight or the dovetail slot blank will not start or is a very tight fit, the dovetail may need to be modified slightly. Use a parallel side, three corner, safe file designed for this work. A safe file has only one side that cuts, with the other two being smooth. Make a very light pass with the file and check the fit. Remember, you can’t replace metal after you remove it, so work very slowly and check often. Finish by turning the file at an angle to put a very slight bevel on the edge to help start the sight or dovetail slot blank."

Most people I think us a hammer and brass/aluminum punch to drift the sight in. Youtube has a lot of videos on installing dovetail sights. Watch them.

My stupid butt had to be different.

I tried pressing mine in with a large shop vise. I marred my new sight and scratched my barrel. I wouldn't recommend it. My gun was already beat up when I bought it, so I don't care. Such is the price of experience. I wound up doing the best with a small parrallel jaw vise with a set of smooth jaws installed. Most people won't have access to these though. I pity the poor soul who tries to remove my sight without this tool. I don't think a hammer and punch will get it out. If you are uncomfortable let a pro (not me!) do it for you.

From now on I will do it the correct way, the way marbles recommends.

The rear blade is a v-notch for a Ruger Redhawk. My Blackhawk, Single-six, Redhawk, and GP-100 all use the same sight blade. I think it fits best with the now small front sight.

IYFlI75l.jpg
^^^ Crappy cell phone pic.^^^

m9VpUgwl.jpg

RANGE REPORT #1

POI was several inches too high and I ran out of adjustment. The new front sight is the same height as the factory front sight, but the new rear sight blade is taller than the factory blade. I'm going to switch back to the factory rear sight blade and try again. If this works out fine I'm going to file my v notch lower on the redhawk sight. If it doesn't I'm going to push the new front sight out and go with a taller insert. My friend who is a retired gunsmith has several different heights.

The sight picture was a big improvement over the old sights, though.

RANGE REPORT #2

I used my gunsmith buddy's Williams Sight Press and it made removing and reinstalling a new front sight easy! I went with a .375" front sight insert and everything lines up great. Sadly it's hard to find 22mag around here right now, but I will get those pictures of groups I promised. After the sight in I had 6 left. I stepped out of my cool house into the sun to get a picture of the gun and the condensation formed instantly.

gvEpzVw.jpg

I think it looks good for a gun that wasn't 'designed' for anything but shooting cans. ;)

Edited by onemancoyote

that is all fine and dandy but a SAS is not designed for hunting.  It is a plinker.

If I wanted to hunt with a .22, the Ruger MKIII  22-45 would be a much better, more accurate and less expensive option.

I have both, without a question the 22-45 is more accurate.

Not disputing your claim. I only own the SA but I was just thinking that given the same barrel length, the trigger on the SA doesn't take much to set it off so it's pretty accurate IMO. I guess the only difference would be if the cylinder timing is off slightly causing a drop in accuracy. I've always had the Mark's on my list to acquire but things keep jumping in front off it. I guess I need get more serious about getting one.

Not disputing your claim. I only own the SA but I was just thinking that given the same barrel length, the trigger on the SA doesn't take much to set it off so it's pretty accurate IMO. I guess the only difference would be if the cylinder timing is off slightly causing a drop in accuracy. I've always had the Mark's on my list to acquire but things keep jumping in front off it. I guess I need get more serious about getting one.

While the triggers are typically pretty good, it's likely cylinder timing and the sights than hold most SA revolvers back.  Exactly as the OP highlighted, the front blade is something like 4-6 MOA wide.  And it's pretty easy to fix the trigger on an MK series. 

Yes, I have no idea what they were thinking with the super fat front sights on revolvers....  only use I can see for such would be to knock the rear sight off entirely for a point-shoot defense weapon.   But a SA target .22 needs better.  

The timing on mine must be good, its quite accurate with an awesome trigger/action.   I can't easily mount a red dot to it so I can't really compare it to my mark 2. 

the single action six shoots .22 Magnum as well as regular .22 rounds.  Therefore the barrel is bigger than .22 to accommodate the size of a .22 Mag.  I do not see how it is possible for the revolver to be as accurate as a pistol that only shoots .22's and is sized for that round. 

the single action six shoots .22 Magnum as well as regular .22 rounds. Therefore the barrel is bigger than .22 to accommodate the size of a .22 Mag. I do not see how it is possible for the revolver to be as accurate as a pistol that only shoots .22's and is sized for that round.

Well, I learned my new fact for the day. I wasn't aware the 22 mag bullet was larger than a LR.
Guest Lester Weevils
When I got the 6" GP100, the design for front sight attachment looked pretty easy compared to a lot of pistols. OTOH it was real easy to install a fiber optic sight to the ruger mark II slabside .22 as well. That is a nice ruger feature.

Been meaning to install a fiber optic front sight on the GP100 as well, because my eyes are so weak. But maybe a gold dot would be just as good. The only gold bead I have, came on the henry .357 lever rifle.

I would have tried oak or pieces of HDPE (plastic cutting board) as temp vise jaw pads, or maybe use the little panavise that uses nylon jaws. But maybe its one of those problems where such pads wouldn't be hard enough to do the job? Edited by Lester Weevils
My drill fixture vise at work has parallel smooth stainless jaws and a massive box thread screw. It did the job easily. I just didn't think of using it first and used the bigger vise. I have a gold bead on my GP 100 also. It was originally for a redhawk and came in a pack with the v rear that I used for the single six. Perfect fit.

My problem with most of the fiber optics I looked at is that they are equally as huge. Edited by onemancoyote

I can say that the difference in the accuracy between the MK series and Single Sixes is close enough in inherent accuracy that the real difference boils down to which you can shoot better.

For most folks that is the MK series. 

Have a single six that can hang with my K-22 8 3/8" and target MK II. Some of them are real shooters.  FYI - that .223 vs .224 will not throw you off enough to tell at .22 pistol ranges....those soft .22lr bullets easily will obturate on both. 

Great modification!  

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

My drill fixture vise at work has parallel smooth stainless jaws and a massive box thread screw. It did the job easily. I just didn't think of using it first and used the bigger vise. I have a gold bead on my GP 100 also. It was originally for a redhawk and came in a pack with the v rear that I used for the single six. Perfect fit.

My problem with most of the fiber optics I looked at is that they are equally as huge.

I need a huge dot. If it hits somewhere on a pie plate, is about all can expect. :)

One of these days will get a machinists vise, probably the same day I finally get a mill.

• 2 weeks later...