LCR .357 VS. .38 SP

OK , I've owned a LCR .38 , I liked the silver cylinder on it ; sold it. I am thinking about buying the .357 version. I have seen a lot of pictures of the gun and most have a black cylinder on them and some have the silver type of the standard .38. I have noticed that the .38 cylinder is more fluted than the .357 ; the .357 has a more level area between chambers as compared to the rear round flat area. Are the silver cylinder .357's I see on the internet older versions ? The black cylinder versions I see are more prevalent.

Confused Yet ?

Yes , I know the .357 version will shoot both and the .357 version is about 3 oz.'s heavier due to the stainless frame vs. alloy.

Edited by Threeeighty
I've had both and the .357 is the way to go. Its much more pleasant to shoot with .38 than the .38 version. I'd go that route plus you can shoot .357. The carry weight is negligible, but the felt recoil is noticeably less in the .357 models.

Did you mean to say the .357 will shoot both cartridges?

Yes , I will correct that. Dang it , I've been helping Twenty2mag get on here and post his guns and my computer keeps switching to his account. I guess I need to clear my history.

Sorry Twenty2mag.

Edited by Threeeighty

Has anyone noticed the cylinder colors is my question.

FWIW, Ruger only shows the black cylinder for the .357 LCR, and none at all under distributor exclusives.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Silver .357

[URL=http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/mrssr/media/lcr_357-tfb-tm_zpsccb8e795.jpg.html]lcr_357-tfb-tm_zpsccb8e795.jpg[/URL]

Black .357

[URL=http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/mrssr/media/5127237634_3cd925ce80_z_zps389caee2.jpg.html]5127237634_3cd925ce80_z_zps389caee2.jpg[/URL]

Silver .38

[URL=http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/mrssr/media/rugerLCR_zpsac14a5d9.jpg.html]rugerLCR_zpsac14a5d9.jpg[/URL]

The cylinder differences are quite noticable. I guess I'm anal about it but I like the silver version and thought maybe there was an answer here , I am assuming once again that the silver cylinder is an older model. I see no answer on Ruger's site as Oh Shoot has pointed out.

Edited by Threeeighty

Well, that review was in May of 2010 and gun hadn't been released yet. Wondering if that was a Ruger prototype pic or something.

Another odd thing is that even the current pic of the .357 models on Ruger's site shows the cylinder as looking lighter than frame,  although not as light as the one in your link, which looks like pure stainless.

5450.jpg

So wondering if the lighting on the pics is odd, or is the cylinder really lighter, was it ever non-black, or what?

I actually have shot both the .38 and the .357, but damn if I remember what the .357 looked like.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I see Bud's refers to the cylinder as Target Grey but shows a shiny silver one ?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/69296

Places tend to use same picture from manufacturer forever, and sometimes it was a poorly lit, or even a production model that was never actually released. Have seen it a lot with knives.

Matter of fact, ruger was showing one of their own pics on site of a Mini-14 with the old style barrel/sites on it until maybe a year ago -- I actually emailed them and they responded, said yeah, they needed to update it.  Another company did similar, can't remember which one now.

edit: wow, actually the bogus Ruger Mini14 pic is still on site there, in the tactical section:

5819.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14TacticalRifle/models.html

Just another example of why not all manufacturer's pix are accurate, and of course both of these under discussion are from Ruger, too.

If I had to bet, I'd say that Ruger never put the LCR .357 out in anything but with the "black" (or "gray") cylinder, has been same all along whatever it is.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot