Murfreesboro DUI Checkpoint Video Making its Way Across the Web

Guest 6.8 AR

Well from the stats it looks like Murfreesboro had 2 DUI arrests from 7/1-7/7. One at the checkpoint and one by a regular patrol officer in the course of his patrol. Seems like roadblock is a really expensive gig to get a single DUI. Also if only 2 DUIs were caught in the 'boro it doesn't seem as if the police there are looking very hard or perhaps they should change to a more efficient strategy. MNPD had 57 DUIs in the same timeframe not sure what those boys are doing but it looks sure looks pretty productive.

Could also be that there aren't that many DUI's in the area.

If they were looking for drunks, why were they hassling this kid, to begin with? Rhetorical, don't bother.

Guest 6.8 AR

Unless they are hiring new officers and patrol cars and other equipment every time they do a checkpoint the cost is actually zero, or stated another way, it's money already spent whether they do the checkpoint or not.  As to time, these checkpoints don't usually involve that many officers so I suspect the overall "cost" in time is pretty negligible.

And if they are screaming for a bigger budget, you have your answer.

Unless they are hiring new officers and patrol cars and other equipment every time they do a checkpoint the cost is actually zero, or stated another way, it's money already spent whether they do the checkpoint or not. As to time, these checkpoints don't usually involve that many officers so I suspect the overall "cost" in time is pretty negligible.

Nearly every time I can remember my dad working one he was getting overtime. I assume that is par since they still need to have cops doing actual police work while these checkpoints are set up.

Nearly every time I can remember my dad working one he was getting overtime. I assume that is par since they still need to have cops doing actual police work while these checkpoints are set up.

That may well be...hadn't thought of that...could also just depend on the particular department. :shrug:

The cruiser cam is the cam in the Rutherford County Sheriff's Office deputy's cruiser. His body mic and radio are recorded in the video, from the very beginning of the stop, even though he's out of frame in the beginning.

The Tennessee Highway Patrol owned the DUI Checkpoint, but Law Enforcement Officers from other jurisdictions also work the various checkpoints.

I don't know who "owned" what, but it's my understanding that any type of checkpoint by city or county has to have a THP trooper on scene. Yes?

- OS

Guest Bonedaddy

That's what I hear AND see, in these parts, anyhoo. Before they figgered out it was illegal, I used to see roadblocks, anywhere, by any dept., at any time of day or night, includin' the major highways. Don't see that these daze. Just a few newpaper announced and trooper attended ones, now.

• 1 month later...

One more time... I HATE DUI checkpoints. I don't blame the rank and file that have to implement them. It's about basic courtesy to me. Those cops didn't set out to violate anybody's rights. Simple, harmless request met with confrontation. My dad would have slapped the taste out of my mouth for acting that way. Maybe I was just raised to be a sheep.

Well put, after reading your comments here you may very well be. That is ok, the world needs sheep too! Just hope your not in politics!

Well put, after reading your comments here you may very well be. That is ok, the world needs sheep too! Just hope your not in politics!

WTF? Get you a camera and youtube away. Let us know how it works out for you. As far as I know, the cop in this case still has his job, and the youtube twerp's 15 minutes was up weeks ago.

• Like 1
Here's the cost, payroll for the officers involved + fuel for those 20+ patrol vehicles + I'm sure there's a cost for each DL that is ran. All for a few citations, sounds to me like a poor excuse for a revenue checkpoint. I have no problem complying with an officer but I agree these checkpoints aren't worth their salt and our founding fathers wouldn't be happy with us being complacent with this practice.
  • Like 1

Here's the cost, payroll for the officers involved + fuel for those 20+ patrol vehicles + I'm sure there's a cost for each DL that is ran. All for a few citations, sounds to me like a poor excuse for a revenue checkpoint. I have no problem complying with an officer but I agree these checkpoints aren't worth their salt and our founding fathers wouldn't be happy with us being complacent with this practice.

As someone that has pulled plenty of dead, dying, and seriously injured from vehicles that were hit by drunk drivers, and then had to notify the families I do believe they are worth their salt. When I arrested a drunk driver I never knew if I had just saved lives or not; how would I know?

The responsibility of a Sherriff or Police Chief is to use his resources based on crime in the area. If you live in an area where rapists and armed robbers are running around killing people; then that’s where the resources should be used. If you find that the number of people hurt or killed by traffic offenders and drunk drivers eclipse the number of people hurt by “real” criminals; that figures into the equation. I have had to tell people a family member was killed by an armed robber and I have had to tell them there family member was killed by a traffic offender or drunk driver. I didn’t see a whole lot of difference in the pain.

I hope no one ever has to face losing a loved one to a drunk driver; but it is going to happen. It’s not an “accident” and it’s not fate; it’s a criminal act. Our founding fathers faced with the same situation would be fine with it. What they would be appalled at is that multiple offenders are not in prison.

Guest gunownerintn

Cliff's Notes: Kid goes looking for trouble and finds it.

Also know as "bait taken by corrupt cop".

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk 4

Guest gunownerintn

The cop had his way with him before he turned his whiney ass loose. I wouldn't call that taking the bait. I call it making a little twerp your bitch.

Which is still the act of a corrupt cop. Do you condone corruption in law enforcement?

Which is still the act of a corrupt cop. Do you condone corruption in law enforcement?

No. I totally disagree with you're assessment. The cop was supported by his department. ANY cop would have been. If you think it's corruption, then you may be on the wrong planet.

Guest gunownerintn

No. I totally disagree with you're assessment. The cop was supported by his department. ANY cop would have been. If you think it's corruption, then you may be on the wrong planet.

Extralegal orders under color of law and illegal searches ate nor corruption?

Guest gunownerintn

Let me quote the cop. "Get back to me when you get out of attorney school". Where are the charges?

Why should a corrupt department operating in a corrupt system charge a corrupt cop who is supported by sheep who accept the corruption?

• Admin Team

Why should a corrupt department operating in a corrupt system charge a corrupt cop who is supported by sheep who accept the corruption?

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk

"and in case I don't see you, good afternoon, good evening, and good night"

• Like 1