Midlength handguard with carbine length gas tube?

Ok, so I am doing my first AR build thanks in no small part to another forum member. Unfortunately I am having some issues procuring the handguard I want so I am left with this question. My current setup has a carbine length gas tube but the handguard I want is the Magpul MOE mid-length (since I can't find anyone that has the carbine length one in stock in foliage green.) Can I put this longer handguard over it with a JP Industries low-profile gas block? 

I believe I will also need the round handguard cap but I thought that somehow mounted to/behind the gas block. Can anyone tell me how I can make this work? Or do I need to suck it up buttercup and get a free float handguard? 

I don't think you can make it work without the handguard cap because it is held in place by tension between the two. Otherwise you would be able to pull it right off.

This. The Magpul hadguards (or any drop in) need to be retained by the gas block. You could do what you want with a free float handguard.

Wont work. The front of the MOE is supported by a standard gas block. You can use a free float tube or rail with a low profile gas block underneath. My 300 Blackout is built that way. Pretty common these days.

Or... what the other guys said :)

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

You could install a lo-pro gas block and then install a FSP with the cap etc at the mid length position.

Almost what Dolomite suggested. I think I am going to install a dummy gas block just to hold the cap on, or possibly find a free float rail. Thanks guys.

I want to say I saw someone do this with a DCM/CMP style free float tube (thin walled) under a MOE hand guard and somehow affixed the MOE to the tube and used a low pro as block.

not sure where though    I just used a SAMSON rail via Rainier Arms  so I didn't bookmark the MOE idea

J

quick digging revealed White Oak has middy tubes and the MOE should fit over it

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17891&cat=&page=1

Edited by LngRngShtr

Almost what Dolomite suggested. I think I am going to install a dummy gas block just to hold the cap on, or possibly find a free float rail. Thanks guys.

If you do the dummy gas block, use one with a front sight rail, and then you can get the longest sight picture possible with your irons. If you do that, though, get one that's the same height as the rail on the upper or a standard height picatinny front sight will be too short to match up with the rear one, although they do make taller ones too.

Top upper in this pic is a dedicated .22LR one, so the front gas block is obviously a dummy. (handguard is actually rifle length). Since it doesn't get hot, I was able to put a Magpul polymer sight on it too. Dunno though if one on a .223  would get too hot just from heat transference from barrel to necessitate a metal sight or not, but I'm guessing not.

ARkit.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Top upper in this pic is a dedicated .22LR one, so the front gas block is obviously a dummy. (handguard is actually rifle length). Since it doesn't get hot, I was able to put a Magpul polymer sight on it too. Dunno though if one on a .223  would get too hot just from heat transference from barrel to necessitate a metal sight or not, but I'm guessing not.
 - OS

If a polymer sight is placed on the gas block it will get hot enough to melt after 2-3 mags if fired at a fast pace. Even at a moderate pace the heat will likey melt them.

If a polymer sight is placed on the gas block it will get hot enough to melt after 2-3 mags if fired at a fast pace. Even at a moderate pace the heat will likey melt them.

You got that my comment was about one not being used as a gas block, right?  Would only get whatever heat transference due to being in contact with barrel, no hot gas going through it?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot