hi point 9mm carbine

....and for not much more money, one can have many more options that are superior in not only design but functionality....

What are those "many more options" in pistol caliber carbine for "not much more money"?

I can realistically think of only one that really fits that, the KT Sub 2000, if you can find one for less than twice as much lately, but the HP is actually more durable overall.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

So, if I can get a TS model... the one that comes with a scope... NIB for around $280... think that would be good at this point in time?

Yeah, I'd say that's about as good a price you'll find. The TS was going for about $235 best price with no scope before Sandy Hook, and though prices have come down from the panic, they've still stayed higher than before that on most rifles except ARs.

- OS

• Like 1

What are those "many more options" in pistol caliber carbine for "not much more money"?

I can realistically think of only one that really fits that, the KT Sub 2000, if you can find one for less than twice as much lately, but the HP is actually more durable overall.

- OS

Well... I say not much more money but the other option I had in mind was a pistol cal AR, those can be had BUT not for the HP's awesome price point and yes the Kel Tec was another option I was thinking of, also the RONI Pistol conversions can be had but that price point is more on par with the AR. Point taken OS, price point the HP takes the cake.

Edited by whitewolf001

I've had a HP995 for years with years of trouble-free plinking.

The 10 round mag is the biggest con for the platform, I think I saw some 15 (maybe 20) rounders from ProMag, but have heard some less than stellar reviews

Paid $175 ftf for a Planet of the Apes LNIB (never fired) - I spent the money to upgrade to an ATI Storm-knock-off stock and then again for the HP TS stock.

The TS stock is well worth the upgrade and it should be noted that the "flexbility" of the HP stock is engineered to be part of the recoil system.

If you get any failures, HP will send you all new parts if you need to replace anything worn.

Also be aware that the mag lips may be slightly out of spec which will cause failures to properly feed. The HP forum guys also recommend breaking in the mags (load them up for about 2 weeks before use) 

I've got the "monkey gun" in .40 cal with an ATI stock.  So far it eats anything I feed it, even with a 15-round Pro Mag.  I've worked up a pretty good cast bullet load to cut the cost even more.  HP recommends a takedown every 1500-2000 rounds--not even my old Marlin Camp 9 could go that distance without a deep clean.  I'm a little antsy about mounting a cheap red dot.  I had one that eventually shattered its glass with the Camp 9's recoil.  I suppose I could put a good one on and double the monkey gun's value.  :pleased:

I think $280 NIB TS with scope is a good buy and with the receiver bolt clips, it makes breaking it down a little easier.

If you're looking for a reliable platform effective out to about 100 yards with basically a lifetime of free parts for when you need to tinker, go for it.

You will be able get you $$ back out of it if you hate it.

I think OS hit it on the head, everything else will be well north of $500 - $600

• Like 1
Guest Bonedaddy

Dang! Had to look that gun up but gotta say.....UGLY!!! I'll pass on that alone. A Sub2000, yea but not that thing. Would much prefer a CX4 Beretta.

Dang! Had to look that gun up but gotta say.....UGLY!!! I'll pass on that alone. A Sub2000, yea but not that thing. Would much prefer a CX4 Beretta.

I prefer the original ugly rather than the tactical ugly myself. Love it like ya do an ugly ole dawg:

HP995.jpg

- OS

• Like 1

Dang!  You all are making me want another one!!! Bad Forum!  Bad Forum!!! :(

Don't feel alone, buddy. CX4 or Hipoint?  I'd kinda like the later "planet of the apes look" myself.

But my b-I-l just got a CX4 and I'm a little drawn to it.

I never cared for the Planet of the Apes style stock, but I like the TS style...so I couldn't resist when I finally found one locally a few years ago. I keep meaning to buy the magazine kit that attaches to the butt of the stock and includes two extra magazines, but I just never get around to it. This is the only Hi-Point I own anymore, but I have owned pistols in the past...always reliable and accurate, but just too heavy and ugly to look at so I got rid of them. The TS carbine looks ok though, so I plan on keeping it.

Well, I had the "Ape" gun, but I changed the stock out for one of those ATI's.  I really didn't want to get rid of it, but we needed some money, so I sold it.  As always, I regret selling it.  I'd take which ever I could get, though.  The TS is pretty cool looking. :)

Well, I couldn't stand it. I bought it. It's a gas. Most accurate carbine I've had yet. Go figger.

If you ever have feeding probs, squeeze feedlips on mag back in a bit tighter. The thin metal mags are cause of almost all probs you might run into, lips tend to open up over time.

My HP and Sub2000 seem to be about equally accurate, which is to say, quite good indeed out to 100 yards.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I may as well chime in. I too wanted a Kel-tec, and this was a couple of years back. Well saw one on GB and called the guy and asked is this a pos or what. He said he had a 9mm and it was his most fun gun to shoot. I bought a 4095  .40 cal and it is a blast. I sighted it in at 50 yards and I was happy, then 1 day I decided to shoot it at 100 yds, this is with my cast bullet plinking reloads. They will headshoot an IPSC target at 100yds. and that is good enough for me. I would prefer a higher cap mag, but I can live with 10. I also torture tested this out of the box, I didn't clean or lube it and shot 100 rounds with no malfunction. Before you berate them, go borrow one from a friend and I bet you will buy one.