Moving to Chattanooga or Knoxville soon.....

Guest Sancman

Guest Sancman

Just registered on the forum, the family and myself will be moving to either Knoxville or Chattanooga next year (2009) not sure yet which.

Right now we live in Charlotte, NC getting a little :) here.....besides it's getting harder and harder to find a decent place to shoot, especially rifles.....what fun is shooting a M1A or AR15 in a indoor range???:death:

If anyone is in the Chattanooga or Knoxville areas please send me an email off forum as I have some questions.....Thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sancman
I think if I had to choose between those two, I would without a doubt choose Chattanooga.

I have drove thru both, but have not been able to do any research except on the net.....

Several things I need to find out;

What's the general areas like?

What's the medical like?

What is the housing like for a 2 or 3 bedroom house rent for?

Are the landlords "pet friendly"? Got 3 dogs 55 lbs. to 95 lbs.

Employment will be in the commercial driving area.

Why Chattanooga over Knoxville?

And the most important question of all; How many gun ranges are there?

Rifle ranges?:)

I think if I had to choose between those two, I would without a doubt choose Chattanooga.

Why on earth?

I was born in 'nooga, mom still lives there, get down there every month or so.

But MUCH prefer Knoxville area myself, hence why I've lived here since the sixties.

- OS

I have drove thru both, but have not been able to do any research except on the net.....

Several things I need to find out;

What's the general areas like?

What's the medical like?

What is the housing like for a 2 or 3 bedroom house rent for?

Are the landlords "pet friendly"? Got 3 dogs 55 lbs. to 95 lbs.

Employment will be in the commercial driving area.

Why Chattanooga over Knoxville?

And the most important question of all; How many gun ranges are there?

Rifle ranges?:D

General areas meaning public rec areas? They are great! Lots of places to take the family. I especially love the river walk!

We have four hospitals in Chatt and a few more within a few minutes drive.Erlanger is by far the best in the lot area.Just this past year Bush paid a visit to Erlanger to check out a state of the art something other!

I think the average rent is around 600.I'm getting ready to rent a house for around this figure.

We have two indoor ranges,and a couple of outdoor ranges.

There is also a free outdoor range up at Prentice Cooper.Just a few minutes out of town.

Guest abailey362

well rent in chattanooga depends greatly on what part of town you are in....I pay almost twice what strickj is talking about.

There are a couple of private rifle clubs around as well. The one I belong to is in cleveland (north of town) and has a 100 and a 200 yr rifle range, 5 pistol bays, skeet, and indoor/outdoor archery.

I moved to chatt in january and like it so far........

Guest Major Pain

Howdy from west Tenn, welcome to the forum. Spent couple summers in Chatt. when I was kid back in 60's with my uncle. I loved it there.--MP

I can't discuss Knoxville, since I've never lived there. But Chattanooga is a good place to live. I've lived in a suburb of Chattanooga (Signal Mountain) for the past 19 years. Schools are a mixed bag. Lots of private schools. Medical attention is really good. Memorial, Erlanger and Parkridge are all fine hospitals, and there are plenty of good doctors.

There is a free outdoor range at Prentice Cooper Wildlife Management area which is located about 15 minutes out of town towards the West from Chattanooga. If you live on the East or South side, I would opt for the private Cleveland range, which is a nicer range anyway.

There are four good places to buy firearms: Sportsman's Warehouse, Sportsman's Supply, Carter's, and the Valu Pawn on Hwy 153. If you go to Cleveland/Ooltewah you will find a few other gun shops.

• Administrator

The time I've spent around Knoxville left me with the impression that it's got all of the negatives of Nashville (congested, dirty in places, etc.) but not many advantages unless you consider close proximity to Dollywood a perk. Plus there's just way too much "orange" over there so you never really know if the guy who walked into the bank is an escaped convict in a prison jumpsuit, or just another rabid Vols fan. :D

Yeah I know that's a really broad generalization but first impressions are lasting impressions.

Chattanooga offers a really nice downtown area and is equally distant from both Nashville and Atlanta, Knoxville is really just a short drive up I-75, and it has beautiful scenery and is very close to a lot of really fun outdoors attractions like the Ocoee and Hiwassee rivers, Cherokee National Forest, etc. You're a stone's throw from Georgia and Alabama and can often get cheaper gasoline just by driving a few minutes into either. :eek:

If I had to pick another major Tennessee city to live near, Chattanooga would get my vote.

If I had to pick another major Tennessee city to live near, Chattanooga would get my vote.

Well, there are kernels of truth in what you say, but Knoxville really ain't bad.

Traffic is about same as Nooga...gotta think time of day and where yer goin, like any place of any size anymore. 'Course the lifelong Malfunction Junction here ranks up there with the greatest highway fiasco ANYWHERE.

I think crime is actually worse in 'nooga...

Some folks actually LIKE Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, there are a lot of old car days there and whatnot. I avoid it like the plague...don't even try to go to Smokies since my 20's, just too crowded.

Nice thing about Knoxville is that you CAN get the hell out of it and out to the country pretty easy...except West, the "sprawl" isn't too bad.

While it can't compare to 'nooga's downtown renovations, downtown Knox has come a long way, nice combo tween history, funk, and new stuff. Lots of concerts and whatnot happening on Market Square, old World's Fair Site, etc.

Regular gun shows at Expo and Fairgrounds.

Lots of affordable golf, more so than Nooga in my experience...affordable that is.

It's probably actually closer to a tie than anything...

- OS

Guest Sancman

Looks like we're going to have to make some road trips to both....:)

Does Chattanooga have any gunshows? How Often?

If not, then where is the closest city that does?

Chattanooga has about two gunshows per year. One at the Armory on Holtzclaw Ave, and one at Camp Jordan, just off I-75 on the South side of town. I'm not sure on the frequency, they each may schedule twice a year, instead of once.

Another thing: the Friends of the NRA have a banquet once each year. I think Hal at the Ammo Dump is the organizer.

Edited by mousegunner
added info