Should I take my AR-15 with me to GSMNP?

Guest confidence

Guest confidence

Sorry about having so many threads all about my trip. I feel kinda like everybody must think I'm such a lamer for starting another thread but it didn't seem to make sense to add this to an existing one. :hiding:

So, I will be camping at GSMNP for a night and then going to a B & B nearby for one night. I'll be camping at Elkmont, which is on the TN side. Last time I went on a road trip, I took my AR-15 just in case of a worst case scenario personal defense situation. But that time I was visiting relatives who didn't freak out at the sight of a rifle being carried into their house (in a rifle case.)

I see pros and cons, here. I don't want a park ranger doing a traffic stop or whatever to misunderstand and think I am trying to do some hunting in the park. As far as it being seen while being carried into my tent, I suppose I could just leave it in my car all the time so that I don't have to carry it in full view. With an HCP, I know I am allowed to carry a loaded long gun in a vehicle as long as a round isn't chambered. Does that include national parks in TN, like it does with my HCP allowing me to carry a pistol? What about the law in NC if I briefly drive across the border? If I do leave it in the car, I'm afraid it will get stolen per this warning on the GSMNP website:

Beware of parking lot thieves who break into cars parked at trailheads to steal purses, cameras, and electronic equipment. The best defense is to lock your car and take your valuables with you, or leave them at home. Be aware that thieves may be in the parking area watching as you slip your wallet into the glove box or "hide" your laptop under a blanket.

Also, what about when I go into the B & B? I will be in a cottage away from the main house, but I don't really want to attract attention to the firearm while bringing it in from the car in case the owners start in on some kind of gun freak out or someone decides to try to steal it while I am at breakfast or something.

I do carry a pistol with me all the time, so the AR is not absolutely necessary. Just would like to have it in case of a worst case scenario while I am out of town.

What would you do?

2A or not 2A? That is the question...

Edited by confidence

I wouldn't take it. You can't carry it, so the only time it could possibly be useful is in your cabin. There really isn't much tactical advantage indoors between, say, a Glock and an AR-15. In fact, there are some tactical disadvantages. Once the bad guys leave the cabin, you really can't shoot them. It's no longer self defense, so there's no advantage there.

The risk of having it stolen or seen in a traffic stop or accident is far greater than actually needing it.  Cops might understand, but they're equally likely to cuff you until they can sort out why you're carrying an AR-15 in a tourist area.

On the other hand, if TEOTWAWKI occurs while you're on vacation, you're undergunned. Take a .308 at least. :rofl:

Edited by jgradyc

It is not necessary. I would leave the rifle at home. I carried my pistol last time I was there. Like Jgrady said, tactical advanage.  Your chances of a worst case scenario is greater than winning the lotto ( if you feel so bad that something might happen, Buy a lottery ticket. You could get lucky).

As for having a rifle with me just for a short trip, I wouldn't worry with it. You should be ok with just a pistol.

Edited by Wyldk2
Guest confidence

On the other hand, if TEOTWAWKI occurs while you're on vacation, you're undergunned. Take a .308 at least. :rofl:

:D rotflol

It's your vacation, do whatever you need to to feel comfortable and relax.

I would carry my edc (p229) and be done b/c I am confident in my ability to defend myself with it and can carry it everywhere I NEED to go up that way. I would be more worried about my rifle being stolen while in my vehicle or cottage than needing to have it for defense since I wouldn't be carrying it on me like I would my pistol. So in my case dragging a rifle would add worry to my vacation rather than alleviate it.

Hey, how about posting blog-type updates of your trip. I just sent an email to a half dozen friends and suggested we spend a weekend in GSMNP so I'd like to know more. I'd like to camp, but if the girls go, we might have to get a couple of motel rooms. 

Edited by jgradyc
Guest confidence

Hey, how about posting blog-type updates of your trip. I just sent an email to a half dozen friends and suggested we spend a weekend in GSMNP so I'd like to know more. I'd like to camp, but if the girls go, we might have to get a couple of motel rooms. 

Sounds like a good idea! Is there any 3G in the Elkmont campgrounds? I'll have WiFi at the B & B.

Then again......If I start tapping on my phone all the time to "blog" when I'm supposed to be spending time with the wife, that may not turn out too well.... :ugh:

I will be taking a trip to St. Louis, beginning this Sunday and like most trips, I only carry a handgun.  Being that the George Zimmerman trial is in the defense phase, there could be a chance that the jury decision could occur while I am out of town with my family. I do recall the 1992 LA Riots and I won't be the next Reginald Denny.   Have thought about taking the AR-15, which by taking two bolts out, the rifle can be stored in a suitcase.  (During my 2003 Iraq deployment, when I went on supply runs from Iraq to Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, we broken down the M-16's and locked the weapons on in a box of a trailer in the motorpool.  We didn't want to deal with the hassle of securing our weapons with battalion, since we didn't want them to know we were there).  Backl to the subject, what I may end up doing is taking extra magazines for my Glock and take another handgun with us and more ammo.

Guest confidence

I will be taking a trip to St. Louis, beginning this Sunday and like most trips, I only carry a handgun.  Being that the George Zimmerman trial is in the defense phase, there could be a chance that the jury decision could occur while I am out of town with my family. I do recall the 1992 LA Riots and I won't be the next Reginald Denny.   Have thought about taking the AR-15, which by taking two bolts out, the rifle can be stored in a suitcase.  (During my 2003 Iraq deployment, when I went on supply runs from Iraq to Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, we broken down the M-16's and locked the weapons on in a box of a trailer in the motorpool.  We didn't want to deal with the hassle of securing our weapons with battalion, since we didn't want them to know we were there).  Backl to the subject, what I may end up doing is taking extra magazines for my Glock and take another handgun with us and more ammo.

Yeah, if I only take my Glock and not the AR, I'm definitely going to take my three 15 round mags and my 33 round mag, as well. :)

Do what you're most comfortable with.

I don't know what you drive, but rifle or not, keep all valuables out of sight. Vehicles do get broken into regularly in the park, but usually because somebody leaves things in sight. In the campground, I'd leave it in the vehicle (along with your food).

Pay close attention when the fee collectors or hosts read you the campground rules. If you leave some food or coolers out while you go somewhere else, they WILL take them back to the kiosk and you will probably end up with a fine.

Playing by the rules is the best way to avoid negative run-ins with Rangers. Don't worry about them not knowing the law, however. The Park Rangers I know are the most professional LEOs I've encountered. Unless you get stopped by some rookie who just transferred from Hippy Valley Natl Park, they're not going to suspect you of poaching. Believe me, they know who the poachers are. And they're mostly in North Carolina.

The law in the NP is whatever the law of the state it is in. I don't know the law of NC, but you already know the law about carrying a long arm in TN.

As far as the B and B, do you have a discreet case it can be broken down an put into? That's what I usually do. It's rare for me to drive more than hour from home without taking a long gun.

Oh, and about the 3G in the campground. BWAHAHA! You'll be lucky to get a weak cell signal. Closest place to get a signal is to leave the campground, turn right on Little River Rd (toward Cattleburg), top over the hill at Laurel Falls trailhead where parking lots on both sides of the road will be full of the cars of "hikers" waddling up to Laurel Falls. As you start down the other side, park at the first overlook. You should get a pretty good signal from town there. Edited by Clod Stomper

I take an AR pistol with me camping and kayaking overnight all the time.  Is it overkill, probably, does that change my mind....not really.  You go armed to protect yourself, guns do absolutely nothing for you sitting at home.  Most of what you could run into in the Smokies are poisonous snakes and bears.  A S&W governor  with snakeshot and .45 LC would be a good all around choice as snakes are most likely to be a problem.  Bear will generally leave you alone if you act properly around them and give them space.  Just read the laws where you are at and make sure you're compliant.

Guest confidence

I take an AR pistol with me camping and kayaking overnight all the time.  Is it overkill, probably, does that change my mind....not really.  You go armed to protect yourself, guns do absolutely nothing for you sitting at home.  Most of what you could run into in the Smokies are poisonous snakes and bears.  A S&W governor  with snakeshot and .45 LC would be a good all around choice as snakes are most likely to be a problem.  Bear will generally leave you alone if you act properly around them and give them space.  Just read the laws where you are at and make sure you're compliant.

Cool! I agree. But as you know an AR pistol counts as a normal pistol just like my Glock according to TN HCP law whereas an AR-15 rifle doesn't so the long gun is a little more tricky outside of the car.

You do NOT want to get caught shooting a snake in the park.  You'll go to jail for that one.  Just leave them alone along with the bears.  Keep your distance from both, and all will be fine.  If you see a venomous snake in the campground, tell the hosts or VUAs and they'll move it if it may endanger campers.

No, I'm not a snake-lover.  But I don't want to see someone get arrested for shooting one.  I've removed several rattlesnakes and copperheads from Elkmont campground.  Mainly because people just won't leave things alone.  The rattlers were very docile.  There was one copperhead though that was very cranky and would start striking if you got anywhere near it.  When we tossed it out of the box, it came BACK, striking. Mean little SOB.

Remember, National Parks are there primarily to preserve the nature or history within.  Not primarily for our recreation.  There are other places set aside for different uses, including recreation.  

Back on topic:  This is one reason I built an AR pistol.  It's more compact, easier to hide (no, not on my person), more discreet and it's legally covered by my HCP.  So I don't have to worry about how it's cased, loaded, etc.  Functionally, it's a long gun.  Legally, it's a pistol.  I know you have a rifle and not a pistol, but it may be something to think about for future travels.

Will

Glad you had a good time at the GSMNP. Thanks for letting us all know how well it went. Didn't need the AR but i know you felt a bit better having it with you. I cc'd the last time i was there simply for the fact that i was with my brother( he's a liberal lawyer) and there was a lot of sheeple tourists.