Help!!! Springfield P9C

jct231

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest joseywales3

Welcome to the party pal...

The P9C, both 9mm and 40, were made from parts supplied to Springfield Armory, by Tanfoglio, back in the 80s.  The parts were polished and fitted by SA and are among the best CZ clones available.  That's what happens when a master in the making is running the show.  Les Baer was running the SA shop when they were turning out these fine pistols.   If you have a gloss blue model, you already know it's one of the best blue finishes on a factory pistol, reminiscent of the old Colt blue.

I have the P9C 40.  I also had the P9 and P9C in 9mm.  The P9 9mm was just a bit fat for my hands, but that model had a lot of success in competitive shooting and competition models still bring in the bucks.  The P9C 9mm was also a bit fat.

My P9C 40 has ambi-safety. What I really like about it is the adjustable rear sight, which is so low profile I can't understand why no one else uses it.  That said, this pistol extremely accurate and a fixed sight would probably be just fine.

Magazines can be a challenge, so I recommend gun shows to check fit.  It's not so much that they're hard to find, but CZ, TZ, EAA, etc., make it confusing to land the correct mag.  Ammoman (I think) has CZ mags and there's a chart with exact measurements.  You can mic your mag and get the right ones online.  I believe the CZ Compact mags will fit, so try them.  There are variants even of those mags.  So again call the seller and check specs before you buy.  Sometime they'll fire, but not drop or seat completely.

For a holster, I found one in a grab box and dumb luck, it works really well.  Don Hume H715M No.37

Matte finish models should be low to mid $300s in excellent condition.  Gloss models in excellent mid to high $300s.  the P9Cs aren't super rare.  They come up now again on Gunbroker, etc.  I saw one at a gunshow about a year ago in Matte for $340, but the 9s are just bit to wide with the mag.  The 40 handles the 40 caliper snap very well for me.  I found mine in a local shop for $325 and never looked back.

Issues:  the only issue I'm having is that the ambi-safety is walking out.  Honestly, I don't need the ambi, so when I get around to it, I'll look for a replacement.  Either that, or I'll have to get a new/tighter spring.  The guns shoots away, even with the safety on the floor, so not a big deal.  Even if I hadn't sworn off selling guns, this one would never go.  Too accurate and too easy to shoot.  The adj sights are just a bonus. 

Although I have some polymers, I just love steel.  So guns like my Makarov and this P9C are a joy to have.

There are a few sites out there: CZ Forum, and a TZ forum.  Each have clone sub-forums that discuss the P9 series.

Good luck and enjoy.

Edited by joseywales3
Thanks tons joseywales.
Mine is the gloss blue and is in about 95% or better condition. The slide and the barrel looks like it was never shot. So after your encouraging review, my< $300 purchase, and the trip to the range with those adjustable sights and the remarkable accuracy, lack of recoil and general overall feel of the firearm, I am relieved that I took a chance on a gun I had never heard of and came out with a keeper!
The one thing that I can not figure out is my 10 round CZ compact .40 mag with the goofy base plate fits but is actually longer than the flush fit mag on the P9C and my CZ PCR 9mm fits a little better but is still too long by about half the distance as the .40.... these Mec Gar mag. measurments are all over the place but with a 9mm Mec Gar mag a good file and a .40 follower, I am set on mags.
Thanks again! Edited by jct231
Guest joseywales3

Yep.  $300 is about right.  I see the 3913 and its variants getting good reviews all the time.  I just matched my P9C against my 3913.  The P9C in 40 is a bit smaller than the 3913, but it is heavier.  Weight doesn't bother me much in a CCW though.

On Monday, I will be shooting my 3913 in 9mm, against my P9C in 40 and a friend's for sale S&W CS40 (chief special, another variant of the 3900 series).  Should be interesting.  I'll say this, so far my Shield is more accurate than the 3913, though both would serve for self defense.

Interesting what you say about the mags,  I don't believe my P9C 9mm mags fit my P9C 40.  They wouldn't click in.

Guest joseywales3

Also, I had a P9C that a guy sold me 8 mags with.  3 of them fit flush.  5 others, marked LEO only, did not fit flush, but otherwise functioned fine.  This is part of the trouble with the variants.

I have 4 mags for a 40 Witness Compact, but they don't fit my gun.  I looked at modifying them, but I would have to cut the length, then also cut the mag catch hole into the mag.  I have four mags for the P9C and I just keep an eye out for more at shows, etc.  But I always bring one mag with me to compare.

Thanks for the advice and I agree, the Shield is a great all around firearm. I have one in .40 and will put it up against anything in its class and although I really like my 3rd gen Smiths... IMO... if I could only have 1 ccw and had to choose, the Shield would be it
The P9C it is heavy but that is one of the things I like about it so much. That and you are the only other person that I have ran into that has one. lol
I will send you a picture after I mod one of these CZ mec gar mags I have laying around if it turns out well.
Thanks again!!!
Guest joseywales3

I tell you.  I was shooting my P9C 40 today, along with a S&W 3913 9mm ( which isn't as accurate as my Shield 9mm), and a S&W CS40.  A friend might be selling his, which only had about 50 rounds through it.  He let me shoot the CS40.

Once again, the P9C takes em to the bank.  The CS40 is more accurate than the 3913 for sure.  If it were locked in a Ransom rest, it might give the P9C a run for its money.  But the P9C easily outshot it freehand.

The P9C is a bit heavier than the CS40, but it's also thinner, yet a tad longer.  IDK, I can carry a Commander sized 1911, so the P9C isn't bad.

I agree with you.  I like the heft, both to control the recoil and just the confident feel when shooting it.

• 9 months later...
Hey ringo20001,
Does yours not already have the factory adjustable rear sight on it or is it just worn out?
You could contact EEA corp./ TANFOGLIO. They have all the parts that you would need as far as springs and such but I am not sure about a direct replacement sight. They have a great coustomer service department and am sure they will help you. I used to have all the contact info and could probably dig it up for you if you would like.