Spots

Traditional style pocket knives

So who carries or collects traditional style pocket knives? We see a lot of tactical stuff posted, I'd like to see some more old fashioned stuff. My normal everyday carry is a large case trapper, and I just traded for two untouched orginal Kissing Crane stilettos, a small KC 46 and a larger KC 47 with stag handles. Will post better pictures tomorrow. Lets see what you guys have tucked back, especially stuff that was gifted or passed down years ago. Fight'n rooster, Case xx, Boker, etc.

Posted Image

Tapatalk ate my spelling.
Edited by Spots
  • Like 2

This is a 3rd generation passdown
It was my stepfathers and his fathers.
It is scalpel sharp and one of my prized possessions. If I had to sell every knife and keep one this would be it. It is a reminder of the greatest man I ever knew, who raised me since I was 3 till he passed in 09. It's also one of the first times I have seen a liner lock knife.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by sL1k
  • Like 1

And I only showed the ZT for size comparison lol

My father always made it a habit of buying a case knife whenever we would go to the mountains, among other places.I inherited his small collection after he passed. I know little about most of them. I would say the majority were 60's-80's, but that's merely a guess. And yeah, I realize they aren't all case knives :)

bhj1.jpg

Edited by NoBanStan
  • Like 2

I still have the one my late uncle gave me when I was 7. It was a bearcat buck style knife made in japan. I dont carry them anymore as I am a bit more tactical now and like the spring assist kershaws. 

I've got a few left from when I had a modest collection. All I can find anymore are these.

57BF2992-E707-464D-8CAE-263C6DF9B9AB-536

From left to right; Shur-snap switchblade. Got this when I was maybe twelve or thirteen or so, it was already old then so I'm not showing my age. Next is a little pocket knife by Sword, that's all that's still legible on the blade, buddy of mine knows I like wierd junk and bought it from a swap meet for probably a buck or so. Next is a more personal one, its an Ulster BSA knife given to my father by by uncle when they were kids. I've done a lot of stupid stuff with knives as a youth, I'm VERY glad this one did not get lost somewhere or taken away by a teacher or something. The ironic thing is that my uncle gave this to my dad years after he quit the Boy Scouts, my dad felt bad about the fee since my grandparents were broke azz Irish immigrants who needed to scrape and save every penny just to get by and my dad knee it, even as a kid. Next is a nameless balisong that I know nothing about. The blade looks to be good steel but has no marks whatsoever. My guess is that is handmade based in the way the scales fit and the overall fit and finish. Last up is a wierd one, the buck actually means nothing to except it reminds me of the buck knife my maternal grandpaw gave me as a kid. That knife did end up getting lost somewhere stupid. I'd love to have it back but this one at least will do as a surrogate until I find a beat up example of the same model that grandpaw gave me.

Used to have a few Barlows and some Case stuff along with a host of other older brands, probably still have more packed away somewhere but I'll be damned if I know where.

Here are some of mine. Sorry, I had my Dad's old passed to me K-Bar and the Hen & Rooster in it too, but I love themIMAG0210_zps40be30d8.jpg
Four on the right are Bokers, one Kissing Cranes, Buck was my Pappaws, and a Barlow. Edited by rugerla1

This is a 3rd generation passdown
It was my stepfathers and his fathers.
It is scalpel sharp and one of my prized possessions. If I had to sell every knife and keep one this would be it. It is a reminder of the greatest man I ever knew, who raised me since I was 3 till he passed in 09. It's also one of the first times I have seen a liner lock knife.
eba3adaz.jpg
vu7a4ady.jpg
y4yve9uq.jpg
a4yqubu6.jpg

My father has one very similar to that but it's a non locking version. I hope my conversations with him about it's value keep him from abusing it so I get to inherit it. I would love to have it to pass on

• Like 2

The Buck Stockman in Delrin is the knife "the public" sees for the most part, everyday carry.

Carried one for many years growing up, lost it in my 30s, just replaced it a few years ago with a new one (the 'Mericun made model, they make a Chinese one too).

The 110 is also a replacement for one I lost around the same time period ... went with the "finger groove" version this time around. Have a couple more 110's I've picked up since, too.

MyBucks.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I like the "old knives" too.  I like the older cases and the german tree brands.  I just quit carryin them when the spydercos started comming out because the sypdies were so light and easy to carry.  

leroy

• Like 1

20120911_182338_zps89715752.jpg

My two EDCs, I've had the case since I was 11-12.
The Izula was a gift from my wife last year. I don't leave the house without both of them on my person.
  • Like 1

I got a collection.

[url=http://s555.photobucket.com/user/Mo-Ped/media/Untitled.jpg.html]Untitled.jpg[/URL]

Top Row:  RR Copperhead

2nd Row: Girl Scout Knife, Cutmaster Scout Knife

3rd Row: Camillus Electrician's Knife

4th Row:Camillus U.S. (or Demo) Knife (EDC it my bag every day), RR Utility Knife

5th Row: Opinal No.9 in carbon steel

6th Row: Vic Super Tinker and Vic Champ

7th Row: Svord Peasant Friction Folder (great knife)

8th Row: Kissing Crane Large Brown Mule (1095)

Rough Riders (RR) are hard to beat for the money.  The ones I have are well built.  I don't think I have more than $12 in the most expensive one.  They are great for EDC.  If you lose it, you aren't out anything.  I have several not pictured here, including a locking trapper and a locking Canoe.

My main EDC is a Case Sodbuster.  I also have a Remington Stockman. Neither of which is pictured here.  My favorite tacticool is a RAT 1 and a Kershaw Clash.

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1

OOPS!!!  Double post!  Sorry about that!!!

Edited by Moped

I have a few but don't carry them because they were my grandfathers and some I got growing up. Also need a one hand opener for work. I would be much less upset to lose my ZT.

Wow, some impressive collections!

I have a few:

Boker 494 Barlow - I had this one reworked by the Knife Doctor over towards Memphis
7876829496_6cd8ecd757_z.jpg

GEC Bullnose

7120017583_8e4da71109_z.jpg

Camillus 21 Pony Jack

8611380000_6fcc473c6d_z.jpg

Case 6231-1/2 in red jigged bone
imag0006hg.jpg Edited by daddyo
  • Like 3

I like the "old knives" too.  I like the older cases and the german tree brands.  I just quit carryin them when the spydercos started comming out because the sypdies were so light and easy to carry.  

leroy

I'm liking the Spydies some myself. I have a Buck 110. Looks like O Shoot's. That's about it when it comes to the traditional stuff

• Like 1

I believe that I must be an 'old soul'.  Of course, having just turned 42 my physical age is starting to catch up with my 'spiritual' age.  Anyhow, I like semiautos okay and see their uses but I still prefer revolvers.  Likewise, I like one hand opening/assisted opening/pocket clips and so on.  I own one or two of that type knife and see their uses but I still prefer the look and feel of 'traditional' style pocket knives.  My EDC is a Victorinox SAK 'Tinker' and it suits my needs pretty well but sometimes I think I would like to carry an even more 'traditional' type knife.

Anyhow, here are some of mine.  Most of mine are or have been 'carried' or 'working' knives so they aren't in factory/pristine condition.  One or two have developed the 'patina' that is said to be a good thing on carbon steel.

These all belonged to my maternal grandfather who passed last year.  I wouldn't carry them for fear of losing them, etc.  I think that the Case that is on top in the first pic might be one of the biggest, two bladed Case knives I have ever, personally, seen.:

IMG_20130717_221626_672-1.jpg

IMG_20130717_222057_778.jpg

This one is probably the only 'collector' knife I have (same knife, three pictures)  It also belonged to my maternal grandfather:

IMG_20130717_221758_969.jpg

IMG_20130717_221807_841.jpg

IMG_20130717_221812_229.jpg

For 'working' knives I am a big fan of Shrade Old Timers - particularly the older (pre Chinese) ones with carbon steel.  The shorter blade on the two-bladed one on the bottom in this pic was once a longer/pointed blade.  I broke the blade back when I was a teenager (doubtless doing something stupid that I can't now recall) and decided to grind the blade profile into a different but still useful style.  The other was a recent purchase that I really haven't carried all that much.

IMG_20130717_222153_522.jpg

This one was a gift from my sister and BIL as they know I like the older Old Timer knives.  As it was purchased used (which does not lessen my appreciation of the gift) and as it has no real sentimental value I am considering making a sheath for it and carrying it, some.

IMG_20130717_222230_691.jpg

I am also a fan of Sodbuster style knives.  When I was a teenager, a neighbor gave me a Case Sodbuster, Jr.  I carried it for a couple of years and am not sure what ever went with it.  Eventually, I bought another Jr. as well as a full-sized Case Sodbuster.  Both have seen daily carry duty but I haven't carried either of them in a while.  Both of these were bought at eithe Lowe's or Home Depot (can't remember which, now) and came in 'clamshell' type packages for right around $20 each.  Apparently, whichever one it was no longer stocks them as now I only ever see Scheffield knives at those stores (in my experience, Sheffield knives are 'throwaway' knives that are not easily sharpened and don't hold a very good edge.)  Anyhow, here are my Sodbusters:

IMG_20130717_221646_693.jpg

Here are the Sodbusters with the two Case knives that were my grandfathers (the ones in the first pic I posted) to kind of show size comparisons:

IMG_20130717_221736_765.jpg

Unless I am mistaken, Rough Rider makes a 'sodbuster' style knife with a locking blade.  I may have to look for one of them the next time I am at Smoky Mountain Knife Works.  I also want to pick up a couple of new carbon steel Case sodbusters (and am aware that they are now only available in the yellow handled version.)

My (maternal) step-grandfather gave me this little Buck knife years ago.  He worked for General Shale at their (now closed) brick making facility in Knoxville.  His employers gave him this knife to commemorate X number of years on the job and he, in turn, gave it to me.  The box has gotten a little worse for wear over the years.  The pocket watch is just there for size comparison:

IMG_20130717_222353_268.jpg

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

I still have the one my late uncle gave me when I was 7. It was a bearcat buck style knife made in japan. I dont carry them anymore as I am a bit more tactical now and like the spring assist kershaws. 

You mean like this one? (Again, the pocket watch is just for size comparison):

IMG_20130717_222726_475.jpg

IMG_20130717_222622_183.jpg

I decided to do an individual post for this one partly to respond to copperhead's post but also, partly, because that little (very nearly junk) knife holds a significant meaning, for me.  In fact, from a sentimental standpoint, it may be the most 'valuable' knife I own.

My late father was a long haul truck driver.  As such, I didn't get to see him a lot when I was a kid as he was often on the road, working.  He would sometimes bring me little presents from one truckstop gift shop or another but one time, when I was about seven or eight, he brought something that overshadowed any of those other gifts.  It seems he had found a knife (the little Bear Cat) in a truck stop parking lot and had decided to give it to me.  Better yet, he said it would be okay if I carried it!

That was an event of great significance to me as I had previously not been allowed to carry a knife.  Not only was dad giving me a knife, he was saying that I was 'old' enough and responsible enough to carry one.  I don't think I could have been any more full of pride if he had handed me Excaliber and said, "My son, you are ready - this is yours, now."  It was a real rite of passage and I am not sure I can even put the significance into words.

Well, I eventually 'outgrew' carrying the Bear Cat and moved on to larger/sharper pocket knives.  I kept up with it through the years, though, as it was my first carry knife and such a part of that rite of passage.

Fast forward several years and that knife got me through one of the hardest things I have ever done.

When my father passed after a seven year battle with stomach cancer (despite the docs only giving him two to four years at the outset - dad was one tough cuss), I decided to give the eulogy at his funeral.  I knew that doing so would be difficult but wanted to do it as sort of the last thing I could do for him.  On the day of his funeral, for the first time in years (and the last time since), I took the Bear Cat out of the drawer where I kept it and dropped it into my pocket.  When I stood at the front of the chapel and talked about my dad, my source of strength was that little Bear Cat, clutched tightly in my hand.  Through holding it, I could see my dad as he had been when he gave it to me - younger, healthier and much more hale and hearty.  In fact, it was almost like that version of my dad - not the one in the frail and cancer-racked body that lay in the casket nearby - was there with me, with his hand on my shoulder, telling me that it was going to be okay.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 5

You mean like this one? (Again, the pocket watch is just for size comparison):

IMG_20130717_222726_475.jpg

IMG_20130717_222622_183.jpg

I decided to do an individual post for this one partly to respond to copperhead's post but also, partly, because that little (very nearly junk) knife holds a significant meaning, for me.  In fact, from a sentimental standpoint, it may be the most 'valuable' knife I own.

My late father was a long haul truck driver.  As such, I didn't get to see him a lot when I was a kid as he was often on the road, working.  He would sometimes bring me little presents from one truckstop gift shop or another but one time, when I was about seven or eight, he brought something that overshadowed any of those other gifts.  It seems he had found a knife (the little Bear Cat) in a truck stop parking lot and had decided to give it to me.  Better yet, he said it would be okay if I carried it!

That was an event of great significance to me as I had previously not been allowed to carry a knife.  Not only was dad giving me a knife, he was saying that I was 'old' enough and responsible enough to carry one.  I don't think I could have been any more full of pride if he had handed me Excaliber and said, "My son, you are ready - this is yours, now."  It was a real rite of passage and I am not sure I can even put the significance into words.

Well, I eventually 'outgrew' carrying the Bear Cat and moved on to larger/sharper pocket knives.  I kept up with it through the years, though, as it was my first carry knife and such a part of that rite of passage.

Fast forward several years and that knife got me through one of the hardest things I have ever done.

When my father passed after a seven year battle with stomach cancer (despite the docs only giving him two to four years at the outset - dad was one tough cuss), I decided to give the eulogy at his funeral.  I knew that doing so would be difficult but wanted to do it as sort of the last thing I could do for him.  On the day of his funeral, for the first time in years (and the last time since), I took the Bear Cat out of the drawer where I kept it and dropped it into my pocket.  When I stood at the front of the chapel and talked about my dad, my source of strength was that little Bear Cat, clutched tightly in my hand.  Through holding it, I could see my dad as he had been when he gave it to me - younger, healthier and much more hale and hearty.  In fact, it was almost like that version of my dad - not the one in the frail and cancer-racked body that lay in the casket nearby - was there with me, with his hand on my shoulder, telling me that it was going to be okay.

:cry: this made me cry ...

My wife has a habit of surprising me with the occasional pocket-knife, this one is one of my favorites.

0721131033.jpg

0721131033a.jpg

0721131033b.jpg

0721131038.jpg

My wife has a habit of surprising me with the occasional pocket-knife, this one is one of my favorites.

Oh wow.... Details please??

Oh wow.... Details please??

It's from Ocoee River, which I had never heard of before but apparently it's the same company that makes the Taylor Schrade knives, anyway the workmanship, materials, fit & finish are all outstanding, she bought it at a local yardsale for like $20 so I have no idea of what they retail for.

I just did a quick search & found some more details from here http://wholesalecoolstuff.com/products-page/knifes-categories/ocoee-river-trapper-pearl-stockman-pocket-knives

3 7/8 " CLOSED TRAPPER HIGH QUALITY POLISHED STAINLESS STEEL BLADES WITH CUSTOM FILING EMBOSSED NICKEL SILVER BOLSTER BRASS LINERS CUSTOM FILED BACKSPRINGS MOP / BUFFALO HORN /SEMI PRECIOUS STONE/BUFFALO HORN/MOP HANDLE WITH NICKEL SILVER SPACERS RETAIL PRICE $130.00

Price: $45.95

Shipping:$6.00