Spots

Traditional style pocket knives

My wife has a habit of surprising me with the occasional pocket-knife, this one is one of my favorites.

Wow - that is gorgeous!

This is not old but since people are sharing pics 

[URL=http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/ljbarmsstock/media/300244-CM_zps07e087cf.jpg.html]300244-CM_zps07e087cf.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/ljbarmsstock/media/TF-592BK_zpsb2a4a3dd.jpg.html]TF-592BK_zpsb2a4a3dd.jpg[/URL]

I need to get  a pic of my old boy scout knife daddy gave me for y'all

Since 1st grade, I have always carried a Case Peanut size knife.  Unfortunately, I lose one every 4-5 years, and last year I lost two.  This is most recent one that I am currently carrying:

http://CASEKNIFE_zpsaa0be81c.jpg

Wow - that is gorgeous!

Thanks JAB, it was sharp as heck when I pulled it from the box & original wrapper, who ever had it previously never even took it out of the package, I didn't even half to bother taking a stone to it, but a few swipes across my leather strop & it removed hair just as well as any of my straight-razors.

The handle materials (mother of peal, buffalo horn & yellow torquois) all appear to be the real deal so I was very pleasently surprised at the quality of the workmanship & materials of the knife, expecially for what she paid for it.

Like I had mentioned earlier, I had never heard of the Ocoee River knife company before but I'd definately buy another one from them if this one is representive of their craftsmanship.

Like I had mentioned earlier, I had never heard of the Ocoee River knife company before but I'd definately buy another one from them if this one is representive of their craftsmanship.

It's one of the many Frost Cutlery brands, Chinese contract of course.

- OS

It's one of the many Frost Cutlery brands, Chinese contract of course.

- OS

Welp the quality of this Ocoee River is in an entirely different league from any of the other Frost Company stuff I've seen, which I would put into the poor-to-marginal catagory at best, iffin this is a "Frost" brand of some sort than they've must have upped their game considerably.

Welp the quality of this Ocoee River is in an entirely different league from any of the other Frost Company stuff I've seen, which I would put into the poor-to-marginal catagory at best, iffin this is a "Frost" brand of some sort than they've must have upped their game considerably.

http://www.frostcutlery.com/default.aspx?listtype=brand&listvalue=Ocoee+River&sortby=

China can tool up for anything, quality all depends on contracted specs.

Lots of quite good Chinese made knives from Spyderco, Buck, Kershaw, etc.

Also, SRM, Navy, Enlan, Inron etc make some very serviceable offerings under their own names nowadays.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

http://www.frostcutlery.com/default.aspx?listtype=brand&listvalue=Ocoee+River&sortby=

China can tool up for anything, quality all depends on contracted specs.

Lots of quite good Chinese made knives from Spyderco, Buck, Kershaw, etc.

Also, SRM, Navy, Enlan, Inron etc make some very serviceable offerings under their own names nowadays.

- OS

Thanks man I appreciate the info, I bookmarked that site, might order some more of these to Ocoee Rivers to give as gifts come Christmas, maybe one or two more in different patterns for myself as well.

I got this yesterday and I thought about this post. It's not old jut done in the old style. Posted Image
Yellow handle trapper from Winchester

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

So, I have been re-evaluating my feelings and stance on certain things, recently.  In the past, I have mostly kept inherited guns and knives 'put up', only taking the guns out to put a few holes in paper and leaving the knives 'in the drawer' to keep them safe and so I won't lose them.  Well, the re-evaluation includes the fact that I am 45, have had numerous potentially terminal health issues in the past, few years, am not married and have no kids.  So, while I do have nieces and nephews who will likely get the bulk of them when I go, my thought process has changed to, "What in the world am I saving these things for?  They aren't my dad's or my grandfather's, anymore and they won't have the same sentimental value to my nieces and nephews.  They are mine, now and I should use them and actually enjoy them."

In the spirit of that, I carried one of the knives formerly known as my grandfather's while out and about this past weekend.  It was this one:

IMG_20130717_222057_778.jpg

I cleaned it up a little (not too much - I like for something old to look kinda old) and rubbed the leather sheath down with some of my homemade fixin' wax to rejuvenate and re-hydrate the leather.  I then carried it, in the sheath, on my belt.  One thing I really like about the older folding knives over many newer ones is that the older ones often have carbon steel blades.  Newer knives, especially folders and even more especially folders that I can actually afford generally have stainless steel blades.  Stainless can be okay and my EDC Spyderco Resilience does fine but, IMO, high carbon kicks the crap out of stainless in every category except for rust resistance - and a carbon blade with a good patina isn't too terrible at that, either.  I particularly like the old, carbon steel Old Timer knives and used to carry a slightly smaller one as my EDC some years ago.  I won't start carrying this one all the time - I couldn't really carry a sheath knife at work, even a folder, and when I am not at work I often prefer to carry a fixed blade but this one will definitely go into the rotation.  There are still a couple that I probably won't carry, at least not much, but that list is growing ever shorter.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

New guy here, and I love this thread because I love knives.  This is just a small part of my collection.  The ones on the right side are all Case knives from the 1970s, which is my thing.  Always on the lookout for more.
One the left sides are various autos, a couple of assisted opening, and a few traditional Gerbers.

knives-1000556.jpg

Bob

Edited by Bob T

3e1cb3d38b9db4aec0f58be2d2e86a71.jpg Not sure how I missed this thread, along with guns my Grandfather (Papaw) also really enjoyed collecting and trading pocket knives. This is the last one he gave me before he passed, it's a older bulldog. I think his favorites were the old fighting roosters,Buckcreeks andGerman eyes. Next time I get in the bottom of the safe I'll post some pics.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Esko 270 said:

Not sure how I missed this thread, along with guns my Grandfather (Papaw) also really enjoyed collecting and trading pocket knives. This is the last one he gave me before he passed, it's a older bulldog. I think his favorites were the old fighting roosters,Buckcreeks andGerman eyes. Next time I get in the bottom of the safe I'll post some pics.

For as long as I can remember one of the favorite hobbies/past times of my paternal grandfather was to go to the various flea markets and trade days around the Lookout Mountain area where he lived (including the trade day at Collinsville, Alabama when it was still at its peak) to trade guns, knives, etc.  He had a huge collection of Case and other, collectible knives - some of them pretty rare, to my understanding - that he amassed over the years.  He kept it all in a minivan that he drove to the various trade days.  When he passed, one of my aunts took the van to her house to 'keep it safe'.  The plan was to divide the guns up among his sons (my dad and uncles) and give each of the grandsons at least one of his nicest knives.  Well, someone (can't prove it but am almost certain it was my druggie cousin) broke into the van and stole every bit of that stuff.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2017 at 3:25 PM, Bob T said:

The ones on the right side are all Case knives from the 1970s, which is my thing.

I did not realize Case made knives after 1979!  :hiding:

Edited by hughd
SP

3 hours ago, hughd said:

I did no realize Case made knives after 1979!  :hiding:

They still make 'em today.  Family ownership ended in the early 70s, and they changed owners a few times since then.  I think Zippo owns Case now.

I collect the 70s versions because the quality was good, and you can still find unused, unsharpened models at a reasonable price.

On 1/26/2017 at 7:02 AM, Bob T said:

They still make 'em today.  Family ownership ended in the early 70s, and they changed owners a few times since then.  I think Zippo owns Case now.

I collect the 70s versions because the quality was good, and you can still find unused, unsharpened models at a reasonable price.

On the silver trading website which I frequent, we just had a group buy for  Case Trappers... two variants in yellow (stainless and chrome-vanadium), and one in Amber bone (c-v).

Sheathes were also in the buy.

I got one of each and three sheathes... entire package was just shy of $120.

Due to get it first week of December. The whole buy was inspired by a fellow silverer who got his house totaled by Harvey, but was able to save enough of his Cases to send back to Pennsylvania, which they did refurbish.

AFAIK Case was bought, finally, by Zippo... and is still up, as stated, in PA. I look forward to mentioning about the craftsmanship  herein.

SWC

a/k/a KI7CIL

As traditional as I carry my Andre De Ville 

Impi

IMG_20171121_092730_823.thumb.jpg.4ec0481387e5afcb04fc56967bcbf305.jpgIMG_20171121_092829_457.thumb.jpg.e2feae00f70e959a4c162c38d881bc49.jpg

Edited by willis68

7zbGVnx.jpg

Here's a few that might be considered traditional.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2017 at 8:13 PM, gregintenn said:

7zbGVnx.jpg

Here's a few that might be considered traditional.

Just a couple.  Nice.

On 11/20/2017 at 12:30 PM, SWCUMBERLAND said:

On the silver trading website which I frequent, we just had a group buy for  Case Trappers... two variants in yellow (stainless and chrome-vanadium), and one in Amber bone (c-v).

Sheathes were also in the buy.

I got one of each and three sheathes... entire package was just shy of $120.

Due to get it first week of December. The whole buy was inspired by a fellow silverer who got his house totaled by Harvey, but was able to save enough of his Cases to send back to Pennsylvania, which they did refurbish.

AFAIK Case was bought, finally, by Zippo... and is still up, as stated, in PA. I look forward to mentioning about the craftsmanship  herein.

SWC

a/k/a KI7CIL

Update:

Got the package TODAY> ALL armshave sharp right out of the box. The yellows will stay in house as pride of place, and the amber bone will be my working knife parked next to my multitool.

Recommendations for a good leather strop to service these FINE pieces with?

SWC

A/k/a KI7CIL

DSC_0549.jpgMy grand father and I collected for a long time and I still pick up a few here and there. Primarily all Schrade Walden and A few Case. Have a few more rolls and display cases in storage  

• Like 1

I used to collect CASE XX, CASE XX U.S.A. STAG Handle's. I was lucky enough to sell some of them about 10yr's ago and put a nice down payment on our house, I don't regret selling them but I sure do miss them, especially the ones I had from the late 40's early 50''s yout just can't find them anymore.