Talked my grandfather out of a never fired Norinco SKS

Guest Kamikaze

Guest Kamikaze

All matched parts still wrapped and covered in cosmoline. He said he bought it in the mid 80's for $65 and put it in the closet. I never knew he had it until I got an AK and brought it to show him. I worked him a trade and now she is mine. I don't know a ton about them but I know it's cherry. Any info on it would be appreciated. Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Guest Kamikaze

Not for sale ever. My son will get this from me no doubt.

Dang. Oh well. That's a nice early import. Pretty sure those were made for export, while the type 56 was actual military issue! Very nice find!

Good to know. Thanks!
Meh you can shoot the snot out of it for 5 generations in a row & it'll still probably feed & function just fine, we used to run them extremely hard when the surplus ammo was super-cheap getting the barrels red hot, wood smoking up catching fire, until they started to "cook off" rounds by themselves, they are built so tough it never hurt them at all.

Wish I'd kept hold of the ones I had, they were lots of cheap fun.

break her down and clean good.  take the firing pin out and clean good.  it will take some time to get all the cosmoline out/off.  i got the same rifle and if i remember i pay around $65.00 dollars for it many mango seasons ago.  i like it over any of my ak's.  they are just good shooters.  they don't give any problems and will shoot any ammo made.

break her down and clean good.  take the firing pin out and clean good.  it will take some time to get all the cosmoline out/off.  i got the same rifle and if i remember i pay around $65.00 dollars for it many mango seasons ago.  i like it over any of my ak's.  they are just good shooters.  they don't give any problems and will shoot any ammo made.

Yeah, he's right take the bolt down and clean the firing pin and make sure it moves freely. You don't want a slamfire! 

Dang. Oh well. That's a nice early import. Pretty sure those were made for export, while the type 56 was actual military issue! Very nice find!

It definetely is a made for export gun. . that Poly USA is a dead give away.  .  certainly made for Da Keng. Keng was always able to get the cleanest rifles. . .

There were tables stacked two and three deep with them; new in the box, from $65-$79 at every gun show in the mid to late 80's. I picked one up at that time as well, but mine is now far from being unfired. I sure wish I could pick up another ammo can filled with 1000 rounds of Norinco 7.62x39 ammo for $100 again. Thanks for the fond memories.

• Like 1

Yeah, he's right take the bolt down and clean the firing pin and make sure it moves freely. You don't want a slamfire!

Amen to that! First time I took a $99 Tula Arsenal import to the range, I eventually got a nice 2 round burst. The rangemaster did a "double take" also. : /

Your pristine SKS is beautiful!
  • 5 months later...