TN black caucus calls for review of 'Stand Your Ground' law

TN black caucus calls for review of 'Stand Your Ground' law

By Chas Sisk

Black lawmakers called Wednesday for a review of Tennessee’s self-defense statute following last week’s verdict in the Trayvon Martin case.

The Tennessee Black Caucus of State Legislators said the state’s “Stand Your Ground” provisions should be reconsidered to prevent cases like the Martin shooting from taking place in Tennessee. The group suggested that portions of the self-defense statute should be repealed or replaced in the interest of public safety.

“No child should ever have to be afraid to walk peacefully down the sidewalk without being attacked because of the way they dress or the color of their skin,” state Rep. Larry Miller, a Memphis Democrat and the caucus’ chairman, said in a press release. “The unfortunate death of Trayvon Martin will not go in vain; we must turn a wrong into a right.”

Tennessee self-defense law says explicitly that people have “no duty to retreat” before using force if they have a reasonable belief they face death or serious injury. Similar laws have been passed in 20 other states, including Florida, where a jury on Saturday found George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, not guilty of second-degree murder or manslaughter for the fatal shooting of the 17-year-old Martin during an altercation last year.

According to testimony in the heavily-covered trial, Zimmerman tracked Martin as he walked through a residential neighborhood after buying snacks from a nearby convenience store. Martin was unarmed, but defense attorneys argued successfully that Zimmerman had reason to fear for his life during the fight.

The black caucus’ 17 members said they were disappointed in the verdict. They said it highlights unequal treatment of black men by the legal system and the danger of racial profiling.

Contact Chas Sisk at 615-259-8283 or csisk@tennessean.com. Ask him a question on Twitter @chassisk.

http://www.tennessean.com/comments/article/20130717/NEWS/307170169/TN-black-caucus-calls-review-self-defense-law

The "Stand Your Ground" law in Florida had no role in the Zimmerman/Martin case. The arguments did not apply as soon as Martin attacked Zimmerman, as so many folks on this forum know and the TN Black Caucus apparently does not know. It was argued as a pure case of self-defense.

Zimmerman had no duty to retreat, but it doesn't apply in this case as Zimmerman could not retreat when he was lying on his back in the grass with his head on the sidewalk being  bashed by Martin.

I wish there was someone who could pull the Tennessee Black Caucus to one side and quietly explain this little fact to them. I'd like to think that they are smart enough to know this, and just are choosing to demagogue it for their constituents and for the newspapers & television cameras.

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 4
“No child should ever have to be afraid to walk peacefully down the sidewalk without being attacked because of the way they dress or the color of their skin,” state Rep. Larry Miller"

Couldn't agree more. What does this have to do with SYG though? Before anyone answers, I ready know.

Nothing. Not a hot damn thing, once again we are treated to another example of the "do something, anything at all" mentality that is so prevalent anymore.

I have to say if I were black I would be furious with my "representation" from all these as$holes. Stop stirring the $hit and let us all get back to it, life's hard enough without living in a constant state of outrage.
  • Like 5

I am so sick of this crap.  So a black youth gets killed by a white neighborhood watchman and the world goes crazy.  We have a full year of media insanity over this case, and its all because a white man killed a black kid.  Where was the media outrage and frenzy when a bunch of black folks gangraped, tortured and executed two white folks (Christian / Newsom)?  God this is ridiculous.  

• Like 7
Guest ThePunisher
And just think that were a lot of creepy a.. crackers that voted to help elect the first black president, something these blacks are forgetting. Edited by ThePunisher

Can you really blame them. Used to be all a criminal had to worry about was a cop happening by a crime and shooting him. Now they have to worry that every potential victim could shoot them. If I were a thug, I would be protesting against Stand You Ground As Well.

• Like 9
Guest ThePunisher

Maybe they'll go ahead and attack, and we can get this #### over with. :)

They won't attack b/c they are outnumbered and outgunned.
My fellow TGO family, a decade ago, I felt like I lived a life. Woke up, went to the gym, went to work, and came home to hang out with friends and family. My only worry was how many reps of 225 I could do. I drove lifted trucks and gave two cents worth of thought to how much gas cost. I really miss those days, because every day now, this sh$! is hammering down on people who OBEY the law, not gangs or just plain worthless people. I fear that we all may be fighting side by side to protect our families on our own damn soil against people who want to be slaves. God bless the USA and all of you! Proud to be here with every one of you.
  • Like 9

My fellow TGO family, a decade ago, I felt like I lived a life. Woke up, went to the gym, went to work, and came home to hang out with friends and family. My only worry was how many reps of 225 I could do. I drove lifted trucks and gave two cents worth of thought to how much gas cost. I really miss those days, because every day now, this sh$! is hammering down on people who OBEY the law, not gangs or just plain worthless people. I fear that we all may be fighting side by side to protect our families on our own damn soil against people who want to be slaves. God bless the USA and all of you! Proud to be here with every one of you.

You don't sound racist at all! You sound like a normal, wait, like most everyone I associate with type of person.
I'm confused and have mixed feelings since we are all labeled crazy ass crackers...

I just realized I may offend some of us on here by using the term labeled...

I am a crazy ass, heavily armed cracker l Edited by Wiljo05
  • Like 2

This TN Black Caucus seems to be quite the underground group.

Can find only the name of the Chair (Larry Miller) and Executive Secretary (Tuwania Martin)

I suppose all our black legislators are in it, but can't even find a list of that?

- OS

Guest nra37922

I am so sick of this crap.  So a black youth gets killed by a white neighborhood watchman and the world goes crazy.  We have a full year of media insanity over this case, and its all because a white man killed a black kid.  Where was the media outrage and frenzy when a bunch of black folks gangraped, tortured and executed two white folks (Christian / Newsom)?  God this is ridiculous.  

NOT white but a whte-Hispanic, and it was he who defended himself against a black-African American which led to our white-African American President making some rather poor statements about the case.

And I am still hot about the lack of national coverage on the Christian/Newsom trial........

Even though stand your ground was not argued during the trial, juror B37(the one who appeared on Anderson Cooper's show) mentioned that they discussed stand your ground during deliberations. If I remember correctly, their jury instructions were to discuss 2nd degree murder then manslaughter then self defense. I don't recall stand your ground being part of the instructions.

Sent from my GSIII using TPR 3.17
Edited by blueghost

Actually, the Judge inserts SYG language into the overall conversation, even though Zimmerman's team did not use the statute as the basis for his defense.

From the Jury Instructions:

If George Zimmerman was not engaged in an unlawful activity and was attacked in any place where he had a right to be, he had no duty to retreat and had the right to stand his ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he reasonably believed that it was necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/153354467/George-Zimmerman-Trial-Final-Jury-Instructions

• Like 1