FN-5.7 vs Kel-Tec PMR-30.........Real gun VS a Toy?

Fitty%

I would buy the PMR-30 and fix the feeding problem. Pros for the PMR are price, sights, availability of ammo, and holds more rounds per magazine. However, I'm sure the FN is of better quality, but I would still go with the Kel-Tec. I think the Kel-Tec has a lifetime warranty for the original owner - right?

Armchair quarterbacking here. I don't own either of them, but know a little about both.

If I had to buy one based on your video and take it to war it would be the FN-5.7. Better bullet selection on the 5.7 than 22mag, better FT/LBs, better velocity.

FN-5.7

Pros: It can make it through an entire magazine without jamming. 5.7x28mm cartridge is faster and hits harder.

Cons: Gun costs more, $1000+. Ammo is less available and costs more.

Keltec PMR-30:

Pros: cheaper to purchase, $700ish. Ammo is more common.

Cons: Failure every 2-3 shots. Seriously, does it ever get through a whole magazine?

Also, for Xtarheel's benefit. http://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazines/fn-five-seven-30-round-magazine-prod41387.aspx

Edited by onemancoyote
I dont know if subsonic .22mag is available ( why when you have .22lr?) But it is available for 5.7 as well as other specialty rounds. I believe the 5.7 is more versatile and its reloadable. Im just waiting on a repeating rifle suited for hunting chambered in 5.7 such as a bolt action or such.
  • Like 1

I dont know if subsonic .22mag is available ( why when you have .22lr?) But it is available for 5.7 as well as other specialty rounds. I believe the 5.7 is more versatile and its reloadable. Im just waiting on a repeating rifle suited for hunting chambered in 5.7 such as a bolt action or such.

I just had to show you this... Turn close range praire dog hunting into a praire dog massacre. :)
mqdefault.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_qaJyzQd2k

Edit. This is not me, just a random video I found when I googled, rifle scope ps-90. Edited by onemancoyote

I just had to... Turn close range praire dog hunting into a praire dog massacre. :)

Nice.....is it really not that loud to where you don't need ear pro like using a can?

I'll bet if you forwarded your field trial videos to Kel Tec, they would tee totally refurbished yours and send you a hat and some bumper stickers for your aggravation.

Seriously, . I have heard wondrous things about their customer service and the PMR is one of their "high visibility" products. I'd like to hear of your service experiences getting it fixed and another round of testing.

• Like 2
Guest drv2fst

I had a 5.7 long ago.  I really liked it.  The reason I got rid of it was the high cost of ammo.  It was a very well built gun.  I once put 7 out of 10 shots on a one foot diameter target at about 100 yards (paced off not measured).  The gun could shoot better than I could see.

My Dad has a PMR.  I've shot is a few times.  I liked it a lot as well.  Certainly not nearly the level of quality of the 5.7 but much more affordable gun and ammo.  His has been very reliable.  He loves it.

Between the two?  For self defense, certainly the 5.7.  More powerful ammo, better quality gun, absolute reliability.  For plinking at the range, certainly the PMR.  Cheaper gun and ammo.  Great affordable fun.  Buy 3 for what a 5.7 costs.

If the PMR 30 could be engineered to the point that it was 99.9% reliable, it would be a fantastic bedside gun for all the people out there that for whatever reason have reduced strength or coordination and can't rack the slide to reload (30 rounds! no need unless zombies), have other physical issues which prevent normal handgun or long gun manipulation (BTW, I love what you're doing with that, Fitty), or [insert issue with other guns], etc.

Imagine a reliable PMR 30, then ask yourself whether you'd like your loved one, dealing with any of the above noted issues, or others you can imagine, to have: A) the now-reliable Kel-Tec, B ) a Smith J-frame in .38, or C) a Beretta Tomcat in .25ACP.

The KT folks need to get their S together on that gun, make it absolutely reliable, even if it raises the MSRP by $100, then sell the ever lovin' heck out of them.  There's a huge and untapped market.

Edited by StPatrick
  • Like 1

If the PMR 30 could be engineered to the point that it was 99.9% reliable, it would be a fantastic bedside gun for all the people out there that for whatever reason have reduced strength or coordination and can't rack the slide to reload (30 rounds! no need unless zombies), have other physical issues which prevent normal handgun or long gun manipulation (BTW, I love what you're doing with that, Fitty), or [insert issue with other guns], etc.

Imagine a reliable PMR 30, then ask yourself whether you'd like your loved one, dealing with any of the above noted issues, or others you can imagine, to have: A) the now-reliable Kel-Tec, B ) a Smith J-frame in .38, or C) a Beretta Tomcat in .25ACP.

The KT folks need to get their S together on that gun, make it absolutely reliable, even if it raises the MSRP by $100, then sell the ever lovin' heck out of them.  There's a huge and untapped market.

Very well put StPatrick.......glad you like the one hand weapon manipulation. I'll be making more videos on it soon. I already have a video up on how I use the Saiga-12 with one hand and the rifle video and pistol video will be done soon!

Problem is, nobody has been able to do a reliable 22 magnum semi-auto, rifle or pistol. Remington had to recall and discontinue their semi-auto .17 HMR rifle. I had high hopes for the PMR, but am ready to let it go now.

Good video once again, Fitty.

I would go with the PMR.  Mostly because they can be found for $700 cheaper. You can also find the ammo pretty regularly, and it is also cheaper vs 5.7.  Maybe if I had an elderly family member, who couldn't handle a weapon that was heavy or had much recoil, I would think about a 5.7. Not having handled one, I'm not sure how accurate that assumption is though.

I have shot the PMR a few times, and it is a fun little flame thrower.  The one we shoot doesn't exhibit the jamming issues of the one in the video. It is definitely my favorite plinking pistol.

5.7 ammo is hard to find and very expensive.  The pistols are also quite expensive.  

The kel tec is cheap and shoots cheap ammo. 

The kel tec is not a toy; IMHO it may be one of the BEST self defense guns on the market with the right ammo and if you can trust it to function (some of them seem to be a bit quirky).   Its just hard to beat 30 or 60 rounds of ammo in a midsized gun, and GOOD .22 mag ammo is FINE for self defense.  

For a carry gun, I would probably go with the 57 if I could afford it.   To shoot at the range, the KT wins --- I cant afford to shoot 57 all day and making it looks annoying.