Anyone see the Wilson County student packet?

My grandson's packet had a flyer that states that "it would be better that there were no firearms in the home, but if you must, they should be under lock and key and away from children". Subtle way of pushing their liberal views using the official school position.

My grandson's packet had a flyer that states that "it would be better that there were no firearms in the home, but if you must, they should be under lock and key and away from children". Subtle way of pushing their liberal views using the official school position.

Sounds like its time to make some phone calls. Get me a name and phone number and I'll pass it to a few contacts along with the flyer info. They will push it on facebook and usually generate several thousand angry phone calls over this shit. I'm sick and tired of public schools pushing their liberal agendas. Its time to let them know what we think and to tell them we are not happy.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

• Like 5

"It would be better if wilson county minded their own business"sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Yep. Creep it in any way they can. When I think of Wilson County, I think country...which makes me want to know who emailed or came to the board and said they need to say this kind of crap. The NRA is the devil, and gets slammed by liberal idiots, even though they promote gun safety so much its crazy, and yet liberals try to come in and act like they're only wanting things safer. A locked gun in a safe is useless when thugs bust in your door to rob, rape, or kill you and your family. God gave me the right to protect my family. Government, liberals, and school papers mean squat to me! Edited by rugerla1

Bill4282,

First off - - - Welcome to TGO.

Not wishing to call you out on this...., But can we see what this flyer looked like and how and where you grandchild was given it?

I have a personal and direct relationship with a key member of the school board.  Since he is a long-time Life member of the NRA (as well as a FFL holder) I'm sure he would interested in how this might have come about, but I'll need details before I bring it to his attention. 

PM me if you wish.

• Like 2
So I graduated from Wilson co schools. It hasn't been that long ago. Then it was a don't ask don't tell type policy. They knew that a lot of us FFA/Ag guys hunted after school, and would even change into camo before we left. Then the next day teachers would ask if we did any good hunting. This was the majority of the teachers and they seemed to be completely ok with it. They had to know we had our hunting tools with us.

Sounds to me like a very select few that are in positions of influence, or at least appear to be big people in town, get their way as the others buckle and don't want to cause a scene or disrupt the group. These that buckle are the reason the country is going in the direction it is going. I say to all the weak ones that let others trample over their, and our rights, grow a pair and man/woman up enough to deal with the argument, people not liking you, or bad publicity that comes with standing your ground(no pun intended)...
  • Like 1

Looked at the Wilson County Schools website, and the only thing I could find was the absolutely draconian (but sadly unsurprising) code of conduct:

http://www.wcschools.com/education/components/docmgr/download.php?sectiondetailid=8807&fileitem=28138&catfilter=ALL

I tell ya, if even HALF of those rules were in effect when I was in school, I would have never made it to graduation.

The only other thing I saw were some links to some offsite parenting guidelines here (not published by Wilson County Schools)--

http://www.wcschools.com/education/staff/staff.php?sectiondetailid=9680&

The handout could have come from one of them... I scanned through some of them briefly, and there are occasional mentions of "securing firearms in the home", but I didn't see anything that advocates "no firearms in the home".

Not doubting the OP, just waiting to see a copy of the flyer/handout. Not saying it's not there, just couldn't find it on their website.

Edited by tartanphantom
Guest copperhead_1911
Wilson County? 

Is that Obama country or something?

This is something a school should not even be getting into. It would be one thing to say "secured properly" but to say if you must have them at all is off the top. 

I don't think you can, you could take pictures of it using the print screen function and paint. Upload them to something like imgur.com and then link them here. Pressing alt+print screen will only capture your current window. Then paste in paint and save.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

What the flyer says:

Child Safety 5-6 years

**Remember, the biggest threat to your child's life and health is an injury**

• Car safety: Your child needs to be in a car seat, in the back seat every time he/she is in the car. A booster seat is not recommended until your child is at least 4 years old, 40 pounds, and can sit correctly in the seat for the entire car ride.

• Head injuries can be very dangerous. Be sure your child wears a bike helmet whenever he/she rides their bike!

• Supervision is still important - particularly when outside.

• We recommend being sure you have working smoke detectors at least on every level of your home. Also, be sure that your hot water heater is set to no more than 120 degrees. Have a fire plan for your family and practice it with your child.

• Second-hand smoke is dangerous for your child. If you want advice on how to limit your child's exposure - please ask his/her pediatrician.

• Even though your child is now old enough to take a shower or bath by themselves, they still need supervision - especially near a pool, lake, or river.

• It is best to keep all guns out of your home. But, if do you own a gun - be sure it is locked up and unloaded. Any child can be hurt or killed by a gun.

• Remember sun protection = hats and sunscreen when 'outside (and don't forget to reapply!).

• You should be talking with your child about stranger safety as well as good touch and bad touch.

• Even children this young are on the Internet - via computer or game console. Be sure your child is closely supervised and you are aware of what sites they are on.

You can find more safety and other information at: www.healthychildren.org