going to try the M&P one more time

tercel89

I had an M&P once and liked it but sold it. I figured i would try them out again. I went to my favorite local gun shop I found one. Man they feel smooth with the small grip insert. I'm going to use it like it was made for and not baby it . Just to see if it holds up as good as a Glock would. I got the M&P40 Fullsize. While I was there I happen to see Hickok45 ! Man that dude is taller than the Jolly Green Giant dude on the commercials ! I was going to say something to him but I figure he gets people bothering him a bunch wherever he goes. He sure has a lot of great youtube videos if you dont know about him. Very informative and great reviews on guns. Anyways , here is my M&P40 with my duty gun for a comparison of the two Service size pistols in the same cartridge.

[URL=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/8a121d2d-a4a8-4cf8-9f44-6259b74cac55_zps55f1d272.jpg.html]8a121d2d-a4a8-4cf8-9f44-6259b74cac55_zps[/URL]

You may or may not be aware, but you can buy the $75 OE .357sig barrel and swap it in.

You can also buy the $65 OE 9mm barrel and OE 9mm magazines and use those.

My M&P is one of my favorites and most versatile guns I have.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

You may or may not be aware, but you can buy the $75 OE .357sig barrel and swap it in.

Thanks ! I didnt know that . If I do the barrel for the 9mm would I have to change extractors and ejectors ? What about the recoil spring since it is a different cartidge with different pressures ?

Guessing you bought it at TN Gun Country? Have seen Hickok in there from time to time.

Mine has been more reliable than my Glock 19. If you're the gun tinkering type, check out apex tactical. I put their forward set sear and trigger kit in my M&P 9. It turned what I considered a very sub par trigger into one of my favorites. 

• Like 1

Thanks ! I didnt know that . If I do the barrel for the 9mm would I have to change extractors and ejectors ? What about the recoil spring since it is a different cartidge with different pressures ?

Nope. Literally just swap the barrel for the 357 and barrel/mag for 9mm.

I did the Apex DCAEK kit on mine, but left out the new trigger return spring to keep the pull around low 4lbs instead of the 5-5.5 with it.

Guessing you bought it at TN Gun Country? Have seen Hickok in there from time to time.

Mine has been more reliable than my Glock 19. If you're the gun tinkering type, check out apex tactical. I put their forward set sear and trigger kit in my M&P 9. It turned what I considered a very sub par trigger into one of my favorites. 

Yep ! He is the tallest guy I have ever seen ! Even looks taller than a guy at my work. 

I don't mean to hi jack but does this work in reverse? Can I convert my 9mm to .357sig?

I don't mean to hi jack but does this work in reverse? Can I convert my 9mm to .357sig?

I don't know. Some people say no, but I for the life of me can't figure out why. Since I don't have a 9mm gun I haven't dug into it. Better to look at the M&P forums and Google it.

I have countless rounds through all of my M&P's and have never had a problem with them other than the recoil spring on my .45c falls out on it's own when I field strip it. Kind of strange but never has hurt the function on it.
IMO... easiest gun there is to detail strip and coustomize to your needs. I just got done changing the sprirgs out from the Apex duty to the competition and added the new Apex poly trigger and it is insane!!!! If I didn't have the thumb safety I would have never done it cause it brings the trigger pull down around 2 pounds but it makes my .45 lights out at the range.
  • Like 1

Nope.  The parent case of the .357 SIG is the .40, which has a larger diameter casing that requires different dimensions for the extractor (among other things) than a 9mm.

Nope.  The parent case of the .357 SIG is the .40, which has a larger diameter casing that requires different dimensions for the extractor (among other things) than a 9mm.

Thanks, I had never heard of any of this. It just sounds cool to do.

Thanks, I had never heard of any of this. It just sounds cool to do.

No problem.  General rule of thumb on the .40 conversions is that you can always go down, but cannot go up from 9mm (though now that I look at my earlier post, I'm not sure my explanation of why that is so is correct).  Aaaannnd, after a quick Google search, it appears the reason stems from the breech face dimensions, which makes sense.

I had a problem with brass to the face with my new m&p9. I took the extractor out, cleaned it, reinstalled it, flexed the spring a few times and now it ejects at 3 o'clock. I was also having problems with it shooting about 6" low for the first 50 rounds. Brought it home, cleaned and lubed it and now it shoots as true as my glocks (given you understand the differences in the sights). I think the m&p feels better in my hands than my glocks do, but I still need 500 rounds through it before I'll carry it.

I have countless rounds through all of my M&P's and have never had a problem with them other than the recoil spring on my .45c falls out on it's own when I field strip it. Kind of strange but never has hurt the function on it.
IMO... easiest gun there is to detail strip and coustomize to your needs. I just got done changing the sprirgs out from the Apex duty to the competition and added the new Apex poly trigger and it is insane!!!! If I didn't have the thumb safety I would have never done it cause it brings the trigger pull down around 2 pounds but it makes my .45 lights out at the range.

Do you think the M&P is easier to detail strip than the Glock ?

Do you think the M&P is easier to detail strip than the Glock ?

I think so.
3 pins apposed to 2 pins and a latch and the M&P has the take down tool attached that can be used as a slave pin or to push the pins out but wouldn't recommend with new pins....they are in there a lot tighter than Glock. I like how easy the trigger bar connection is on the M&P over the Glock. Other than that, the slide release and a few little things, they are exactly the same... but different. lol

Having been to both armorer courses, M&P and Glock, as well as having worked on many of my own of each make, as well as other friends' M&Ps and Glocks, the Glock is easier to take down to the last part.  No roll pins to punch out in the Glock like there are in the M&P and the sear spring and plunger is more fiddley in the M&P. But heck some iconic handguns can be great guns and be a bit fiddley like the K-frame S&W, Browning High Power and CZ 75.   If I had to reach for either a M&P or Glock to save my bacon I would reach for whichever one was closer.

• Like 2

Yes the only thing I dont like is the roll pins but I'm gonna deal with it . I did disasemble a former M&P I had and those roll pins are really in there tight. I had to really crank up on my hammer to get them out. What I did was remove the manual safety that was on it . I wonder why S&W went with roll pins instead of solid pins ?

I have 4 M&P's (3 9mm's/45 ACP compact)and only one Glock 23 Gen4 RTF2 40 SW/357 Sig. I was heavy on Glocks 9mm-45 ACP, but the M&P's have a better feel and handle/shoot just as fast as the Glock. Time will tale on durability, but so far no problems.

Well I got my holster for it . It is a Tagua , they maybe cheap but they perform very well. I have had them in the past and they are nice. Here she is in it .....

[URL=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/MP1_zps23dc8f8a.jpg.html]MP1_zps23dc8f8a.jpg[/URL]

Edited by tercel89

I've used a few of them, and agree with you. It's not high-end leather, but functions pretty well. I've used one for my Ruger  LCP for quite a while, and I think the little pistol rides really well in mine. 

I've been planning on getting one for my Shield. I tried the same one I use for the LCP and it fits pretty tight, but the barrel hangs a little lower than I like in it.