Caster's Monday rant

All government workers are useless.
City, state and federal.

I live in suburbia. Neighbors everywhere. Well, this morning there's a skunk in the yard. Unusual for em to be out and about during daylight. I watch it and it ain't moving much. An hour passes by and it is still sitting there so I call animal control.
"Oh we don't deal with them unless they are already in a trap"
So I asked the lady, what do I have to do, go buy one and then lose it when y'all won't bring it back!?

The wife calls local police and the TWRA. Nope, ain't their problem.

There's a lot of kids around here. Getting sprayed, bit and rabies shots isn't something I'd wish on these little ones. WTF are you supposed to do and be a LAW ABIDING citizen?
That's what's wrong with gov workers. Passing the buck, lazy, it ain't my problem.

Ridiculous. I guess the police will probably show up soon to give me hell for discharging a firearm in city limits. If they do, I'm gonna tell them "If y'all would get off your lazy ass and protect and serve then I wouldn't have to do it!"

I know several police officers and one or two right here on TGO that do their job. I owe y'all a beer and an apology for any insult you may take, but the ones who do their job know for a fact I'm telling the truth!

To those who are doing their job, I appreciate you........you are a minority.

The skunk by the way had been attacked by something and its back legs were mangled. If you'd got close to it, you'd have been sprayed and or bitten. It was suffering pretty bad.
It now rests peacefully in an unmarked grave.

It ain't the animal that pisses me off btw. I ain't having to get out in the rain and get my rifle wet either. It's just the total don't give a crap attitude by the people I THOUGHT was supposed to handle these things. I thought that's what our tax dollars paid their wages for. This is only a trivial pittance of an example. Edited by Caster
  • Like 3
Guest confidence

Blowdart?

Put some antifreeze in a trap so that after you catch it it drinks the antifreeze and dies?

Trap it without poisoning it and then call the humane society and tell them that you are about to poison an innocent skunk and see if they come out to rescue it?

EDIT: I have been severely reprimanded for my antifreeze comment and I have seen the error of my ways and repent in dust and ashes! I didn't know it would be a slow death for the animal. Please accept my humblest of apologies!

Edited by confidence
Guest confidence

The skunk by the way had been attacked by something and its back legs were mangled. If you'd got close to it, you'd have been sprayed and or bitten. It was suffering pretty bad.
It now rests peacefully in an unmarked grave.

Let us all have a moment of silence for Skunky-Poo.

Antifreeze is a horrific death and it was already in a lot of pain.
I'm happy to give one cast boolit to ease something's suffering.

I'd like to say I'd be willing to give a lot more to ease more suffering but that might be an indictment.

Let us all have a moment of silence for Skunky-Poo.

Yeah haha! Rest in peace PePe Le Pew!

I tell you what though, the older I get the more my respect for animals surpasses my respect for mankind. They do what they do and have always done. Man is just a bunch of hypocrites.
  • Like 6
Guest confidence

Antifreeze is a horrific death and it was already in a lot of pain.

True. But now we need a few more details. What firearm did you use to send this thing to that better smelling place in the sky? Where did the boolit strike? How far away were you?

Well that's a little morbid, but;
Thompson Contender w/ Nikon 2x scope
10 inch .223 Remington
Rp case, Lyman 55g RNFP gas check over 8.0g of green dot.

Shot from twenty feet, hit at the base of the neck, yes it was loud, no the little fellar did not suffer. Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

The only good skunk is a dead skunk. Thanks for making the world a better place.

Aw come on. I don't like em either but they serve a bigger purpose in the cycle of life than that crying brat in your avatar.
I wouldn't trade a skunk to save his hide.

LOL!!!!!
  • Like 3

I had a dead deer in my front yard a while back, I called Metro 862-8750 which I have labeled in my phone as Bulk Trash Pickup. Anyway the list of options when you call is one for dead animal pickup.

When I called it was less than an hour for them to come get it, either from my call or maybe another neighbor. 

I'm not bragging on them by no means but they earned a star that day, skunks may not be up to their challenge.

I'm also in metro and have to pay someone else to pickup my trash so my tax dollars is paying for someone else's service, not mine.  :down:

I've trapped skunks before. Once trapped cover the trap with a tarp. The trap will have a rope tied to it and then I carry the trapped skunk to the lake, one with a dock. Drop him in, while under water, remove the tarp, open the trap and let him either drown or swim away.

Edited by kieefer

Blowdart?

Put some antifreeze in a trap so that after you catch it it drinks the antifreeze and dies?

Trap it without poisoning it and then call the humane society and tell them that you are about to poison an innocent skunk and see if they come out to rescue it?

Dumbest idea I have ever heard...

Why make an animal suffer with antifreeze?

When they get into your trash and attack your animals in your yard or become a nuisance...

3 S`s

Shoot ,Shovel and Shut up...

When the dogs or kids ingest the skunk poo.. its not so nice

They also carry leptospirosis, dog hepatitis and distemper...

These guys.. although cute and all.. will not be tolerated in my yard at any time.

Plus.. you are not allowed to self relocate any wildlife actualy.. :(

I'm also in metro and have to pay someone else to pickup my trash so my tax dollars is paying for someone else's service, not mine.  :down:

If you're only in the "general services district" your property taxes are lower than on property in an "urban services district." USD gets trash pickup and better street lights (and can have likker stores). You may not be paying for someone else's services after all.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/metros-two-tiered-revenue-system-raises-taxing-questions

Guest confidence

Dumbest idea I have ever heard...

Why make an animal suffer with antifreeze?

I suppose you're right...Sorry!!! Just trying to find creative ways for the OP to keep from being arrested for discharging a firearm in city limits! Not saying I would actually do this, either. ...But a blowdart might work!

:hiding:

Edited by confidence

Air rifle!!!! .22lr or cross bow, and the 3 S's

This is why I keep one of those higher end Gamo's around.  Silly thing can kill just about any small game at close range; especially tomato-stealing squirrels.

I had an injured skunk in my back yard a few weeks ago. I have close neighbors in the city limits, and I didn't want to fire off a round. I went to get my bow, but I couldn't find him when I got back. I was a little reluctant to shoot a skunk with a bow anyway (will they spray if hit by an arrow? )

From previous experiences with nuisance wild animals around the house, I didn't bother to call anyone.
They actually can't see very well. They are literally almost blind. You can walk slowly up to them and hit them with a shovel. They will spray in their death throws so be careful.

Don't you own a crossbow? Seems like that would be the first choice.

I know anytime I have to shoot at odd hours no one is the wiser.

Antifreeze is cruel and pretty sure it is illegal to use as a poison. I would rather be sprayed than know I poisoned any animal with antifreeze. It takes days for an animal to die and it is excruciating for the animal.

Thanks for the kind words.

Your resident useless government worker, Greg

I gave an apology to people who actually DO their job and I'll even throw in extra points for any gov workers who are refined and distinguished enough to be model 99 connesueirs.