California we're outta here

Guest biking

Guest 6.8 AR

About those things coming to Cali, I saw someone out there is pushing the idea of toilet water direct to the tap,

for water conservation. Don't know anything about it, but I imagine it will either be foul tasting water or expensive

as Hell, or both.

Only in Cali.

Guest Bonedaddy

East Tennessee is God's country. I'm a Nashville guy, and probably always will be. It still just doesn't get any prettier than the eastern part of the state.

I concur. Wish like hell I still lived near Chatty. So much to do and so purdy, too. 'Course, these days, I'd just ride 'round sight seein' instead of actually divin' off a cliff or tubin' a creek or hikin' a mountain trail but still......I'd still camp and fish, though.

Crossville is a nice town and we do have a gun club. We have a 300 yard rifle range, pistol range and a really good trap and skeet range. If you like to golf you can check out Fairfield glade community which is still part of Cumberland county (Crossville). There is also Anderson shuttle service to get to either Knoxville or Nashville airports. He charges 110 to Nashville and around 100 to Knoxville.

Karl

Welcome to the forum cousin. :wave:

Try out Cookeville, we'd be more than happy to have ya. Small college town (TTU), Putnam County Rod and Gun Club, about 50-55 minutes from Nashville Intl, population is roughly 30k. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookeville,_Tennessee

https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.123455,-85.504532&spn=0.329454,0.834274&t=m&z=11

We're smack in the middle between Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanoga; it's about an hour to Nashville, just a hair over an hour to Knoxville and about an hour 20ish to Chattanoga. Lots of mom and pop restaurants and good state parks are everywhere within close proximity.

Guest mwbates

You might consider some towns west of Nashville, maybe around Ashland City or Dickson, etc. I don't know for sure, but 25 - 50 miles west of town will most likely be more affordable than that distance on the east side.

Also, if cost of flying is a concern, flying out of Nashville will most likely be cheaper than out of Koxville, Chatanooga, or Memphis.

Just my $0.02...

You might consider some towns west of Nashville, maybe around Ashland City or Dickson, etc. I don't know for sure, but 25 - 50 miles west of town will most likely be more affordable than that distance on the east side.

Also, if cost of flying is a concern, flying out of Nashville will most likely be cheaper than out of Koxville, Chatanooga, or Memphis.

Just my $0.02...

:squint:

Might wanna adjust your font size man, if I didn't have 20-10 vision I'd almost need a magnifying glass, lol.

Guest copperhead_1911

Congrats on escaping from CA. 

You sound like a real decent patriot. Unfortunately there are many people who move to dixie ( why VA went for Obama twice) and bring their ways with them. The reason many yankees leave places is the liberals have ran it into the ground. They go south for a better economy and safer places yet they vote like they did in their previous state. 

Welcome to dixie. Don't try to change us. and We don't give a damn now they did it up north. 

I think you should look into Kingston, TN.  Its about 15 mins from Oak Ridge Shooting Association and you can be at the airport in about 45mins.  Plus you can go to West Knoxville for any "big city" shopping needs you may have.  Very quiant little town on Watts Bar Lake. 

No offense to anyone, but Im not a big fan of Oak Ridge.  Not real convenient to get in and out of there, especially if its quiting time at all the plants. 

Crossville is nice its about 1hr 20 mins to Knoxville airport.  Great golfing area, not a big shooting range club that I know of in that area. 

Athens is a nice area as well, smaller than crossville, about the same distance to airport as Crossville,

+1 for Kingston. We just moved from Oak a ridge to Kingston and we love it here! Just far enough out from Knoxville to not feel cramped but still close enough to Oak Ridge Sportsmans Association to go shooting whenever. Midtown is a couple miles from us and was listed as one of the fastest growing areas of Tennessee. Plus, taxes are lower here too!
Another vote for Nashville. I've been in south Nashville most of my life. We are right by Brentwood in an old neighborhood and its great. If I was not here I would be way out in the country near no one. I will say in my experience I did not like Antioch, cookeville, Smyrna, or Murfreesboro. No offense to anyone there.
Guest biking
Hey guys your responses have exceeded my expectations by a long shot (a gun term) I am very appreciative...got lots to evaluate. Having a major requirement for relocation to be near a good gun club may seem like the tail wagging the dog to "non gunners" but you all understand....thanks again for your efforts.

You might want to draw a 60 mile circle around Nashville and see what you find within that area. I live 6 miles west of the Nashville Gun Club out towards Ashland City. It's a rural atmosphere, but only 15 minutes to downtown Nashville... not that you would ever want to go to downtown Nashville... maybe if you're a hockey fan or you need a place to entertain visiting relatives.

There's a small private gun club a few miles away from my house just off of Eatons Creek Road.  I've never been to it, but from Google Earth it doesn't look like it has much more than 100 yards if that much. There's a gun range at Cheatham Wildlife Resources Area. It's kinda hard to get to since you have to drive to the west side of the area and then drive into it.

I just shoot in my neighbor's backyard. Everyone out here just shoots in their yards. We have mountains as backstops. When we have the first warm Saturdays each spring, it sounds like a small war is going on in the valley.

South of Nashville is Brentwood, Cool Springs, and Franklin. It's a bit more like CA in terms of restaurants and shopping. Home prices are a lot higher, but not high by CA standards.

The weather is a lot different depending where you are in Nashville. It suffers from urban heat effect in the summer. It's not uncommon for me to leave the Vanderbilt (West End) area of Nashville at 9PM and the temperature drop from 90 to 75 in the summer in the 15 minute drive to my home NW of Nashville. The Clarksville area seems to get a lot more storms than Nashville.

Nashville is in a bowl with mountains to the west, north, and southwest. Those mountainous areas are cooler in the evening than Nashville and areas to the east and southeast.

Winters are moderate in Nashville, but not CA moderate. The good thing is that when it gets really cold (20-25 degrees) there's typically no wind and very little snow. We get enough snow to cover the ground for a couple of days about once every two years. 

Do this. Call up Nashville on Google Maps. Switch to the satellite view.  Now, see all that dark green area to the west of Nashville?  That's mountains extending from Pleasant View on I-24 to the northwest down to Spring Hill to the southwest. I'd look in that area first. Good luck.

I can't imagine someone not coming to Chattanooga. of course I do love to bass and crappie fish, so with Lake Chickamauga being #6 bass lake in the nation right now and crappie in the 2 to 3 lb range plentiful, I'm sure you can understand my thinking?

Chattanooga is a nice place but much bigger than his size limit and with the modest city size it does have its share of big city problems.   The best thing you can say about the airport is you won't have to wait in line long.

Chattanooga is a nice place but much bigger than his size limit and with the modest city size it does have its share of big city problems.

Parts of the city do, but not so much in th e surrounding towns. Nash ille islarver than chattanooga and has a much larger population. Nashville has its share of crime as does all cities.. much nice and larger airport though.

Wilson County is a pretty good area especially towards Mount Juliet. You're 10-15 minutes from Nashville and 5 minutes from the country. There's lakes nearby, there's shopping nearby, airport, movie theaters, shooting ranges, etc. It's just central enough to get you into the population center quickly but you're far out enough that you don't have to endure the traffic jams.

I agree with this. I'm an out of state (Ohio) transplant and Middle TN is great! You can live outside of Nashville but be in town in 15-20 minutes to fly anywhere in the world (International Airport). Great culture, great food, great music (not just country) and a good group of shooters here!