Opinions on trade options

jct231

I have a PCR and really like it although I am not much of a 9mm guy. I have put it up for trade and have had several great offers but have narrowed it down to three potentials and was wanting a few different opinions on what would be the best deal. I think I already know but I do not have a lot of experience with any of the three.
The first and most likely is a Sig P220 like new with STR,
A 580 series SS Mini 14, low round count with trigger job and a ton of extra mags.
And a 686+ that has a 4" Mountain barrel
Is there something special about the Mini or 686+ to make me not go with the Sig?

I'd go for the 686, then the SIG.  Not a Mini fan.  I've had two of them and will never have another, so I would stay away from that one.  But that's just my 2 cents.  You go with what you like best of the the three. :)

I'm biased towards the 220 with the SRT, because it's a great pistol made even better with that trigger, but if you're not in love with any of them, use your GunBroker account (or create one) to search for closed auctions so you can see what guns actually sold for, as opposed to what the asking prices were.  My offhand guess is that the Sig and Smith will provide the best future trade leverage if you want to get into a different gun.  The Sig has a very widespread appeal, the Smith has serious fans who know their stuff (not sure whether the aftermarket barrel enhances or detracts from the overall value)...the Mini has less appeal to either group, and now that we're back to <$800 AR-15s, it is less desirable than it was several months ago.

• Like 1

I'm biased towards the 220 with the SRT, because it's a great pistol made even better with that trigger, but if you're not in love with any of them, use your GunBroker account (or create one) to search for closed auctions so you can see what guns actually sold for, as opposed to what the asking prices were.  My offhand guess is that the Sig and Smith will provide the best future trade leverage if you want to get into a different gun.  The Sig has a very widespread appeal, the Smith has serious fans who know their stuff (not sure whether the aftermarket barrel enhances or detracts from the overall value)...the Mini has less appeal to either group, and now that we're back to <$800 AR-15s, it is less desirable than it was several months ago.

Good advice.

I'm biased on the 220 with the SRT, because it's a great pistol made even better with that trigger, but if you're not in love with any of them, use your GunBroker account (or create one) to search for closed auctions so you can see what guns actually sold for, as opposed to what the asking prices were.  My offhand guess is that the Sig and Smith will provide the best future trade leverage if you want to get into a different gun.  The Sig has a very widespread appeal, the Smith has serious fans who know their stuff (not sure whether the aftermarket barrel enhances or detracts from the overall value)...the Mini has less appeal to either group, and now that we're back to <$800 AR-15s, it is less desirable than it was several months ago.

Thank you. I did not know that was an option on gunbroker.
I am not so much looking for a monetarily "good deal" but more so looking for the pros and cons. I know that, typically, people who love Rugers don't like Smiths in the same way and I know that people who love the AR platform are the same when it comes to the Mini 14. Never hear anything bad about the Sig...except from the Glock fans who call it a dated design.
I think I have ruled out the Mini for now and leaning towards the Sig because it is similar to the CZ... kind of.... unless someone can educate me on how great the 686+ is with the unknown to me, Mountain Gun barrel.
Guest rmse9

I own a P220 K kote that is a fine shooter. I would in no way ever get rid of it.

I own a mini 14 stainless that I keep in my truck on farm for shooting coyotes. It is not the most accurate weapon you will shoot, but for me to bang it around in the truck to shoot varmints it serves the purpose well topped off with Nikon M223 2X8-32.

I also own a 686 with 4 inch barrel that is a also a good shooter.

My thoughts are I would never part with the P220, I would possibly part with the 686 and would part with the mini 14 under the right scenario.

Thank you. I did not know that was an option on gunbroker.
I am not so much looking for a monetarily "good deal" but more so looking for the pros and cons. I know that, typically, people who love Rugers don't like Smiths in the same way and I know that people who love the AR platform are the same when it comes to the Mini 14. Never hear anything bad about the Sig...except from the Glock fans who call it a dated design.
I think I have ruled out the Mini for now and leaning towards the Sig because it is similar to the CZ... kind of.... unless someone can educate me on how great the 686+ is with the unknown to me, Mountain Gun barrel.

The Mountain Gun designates a slightly lighter weight barrel. They are pretty rare from what I understand and supposedly makes for a better pointing revolver altogether. I could have made the decision in two seconds - S&W 686+ 4" Mountain Gun all day, every day!

I completely respect and understand that Sig Sauer makes highly quality and reliable guns. To me though the looks and general feel of the gun are just like a S&W 5906 which I would rather have for 1/4 the price. Ford Explorer or Lincoln Aviator? You know? Generally, both guns were top competitors in the full metal high capacity wonder 9mm era until people started taking Glock seriously.

Stupidly, S&W dropped the 5906 from the catalog and Sig Sauer wisely kept selling their only popularly successful design they've ever had.

The Mountain Gun designates a slightly lighter weight barrel. They are pretty rare from what I understand and supposedly makes for a better pointing revolver altogether. I could have made the decision in two seconds - S&W 686+ 4" Mountain Gun all day, every day!

I completely respect and understand that Sig Sauer makes highly quality and reliable guns. To me though the looks and general feel of the gun are just like a S&W 5906 which I would rather have for 1/4 the price. Ford Explorer or Lincoln Aviator? You know? Generally, both guns were top competitors in the full metal high capacity wonder 9mm era until people started taking Glock seriously.

Stupidly, S&W dropped the 5906 from the catalog and Sig Sauer wisely kept selling their only popularly successful design they've ever had.

Thanks Wolf for putting it in laymen terms for me. This is the first time I have ever seen the Mountain gun and as much as I like the .45 and the idea of finally owning a Sig., they aren't going anywhere. I am VERY happy with my M&P .45c. and it may be a long while before I have a chance to try out the 686+ Mountain again. Plus it adds the .357 mag to my stable.

Thanks TGO for helping me get through my indecisiveness!!!
  • Like 1