light/easy shooting gun

Guest Tyson1

Guest Tyson1

I am going to be leaving my home during the week for work. I want to get a gun my girlfriend could use for protection. What is an easy shooting (small recoil), and light weight, preferably a hand gun. Any suggestions would be great.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam

Something Very easy & light would be a Walther P22 really no recoil at all. You could also look at something alomg the lines of a Ruger LCP.380 or a Bersa .380.

A 4 or 6 inch .357 or .38 spl revolver loaded with standard velocity .38 loads.I would not worry about it being light unless she is a girly girl.Also would not suggest an auto for a novice.:screwy:

I'd go with something easy to use and dependable. A .38 snubbie like a Taurus Ultra-lite or a S&W Airweight would be perfect. If you think the .38 recoil would be too much for her, I know Taurus makes snubbies in 9mm, .22 LR, and .22 WMR also. The .22's are 9 shot.....that's almost as much as a subcompact auto holds. Taurus makes a very good gun at a great price. I definitely wouldn't go with an auto if she's not too familiar with guns....too much could go wrong.

If the ladies are back (since kids are in school now!) they can give you their opinions, but I'd say something full size in 9mm. The .380's are generally going to be smaller frames, so recoil will be similar to a full size 9mm and it is a little underpowered. I'd also look at something with changeable back straps, so she could fit it better. M&P, PX4, Glock 17 or 19, and maybe a Bersa .380.

Guest Tyson1

I used to have a full size s/w m&p 9mm, that she could shoot, and sometimes did well with. I now have a kahr cw40, that she just cant controll. I wont buy a glock, because I would like to shoot the gun that i buy for her...and i dont like how glocks fit my hand. I am kinda wondering what all the other girls are shooting...she kind of is a girly girl, and isn't into guns fully yet (were working on it), so low recoil is what i'm looking for.

Guest Mugster

Sig makes a handgun in .380 that might be worth a look, I don't remember the model. The problem with a medium framed revolver the reach to the trigger. A small frame as mentioned, possibly made of steel for a little extra recoil friendliness might be a good choice with real mild ball ammo (what I provide for my lady). Might get by with an aluminum frame smith 442 but the recoil might be a bit much. A Kahr in .380 or possibly 9mm might be worth a look. Mild 9mm ball might work in it. The oldie but a goody PPK in .380 might also do it.

Get out there and look. Shoot before you buy if possible.

You want a gun which will feel comfortable in her hands, is both easy and safe to operate, and has low recoil...

I'd recommend a fullsize XD 9mm, partially for the grip-safety feature (she won't have to remember a manual safety, but the action is disabled until she grips it). Honestly, it's either that, or a midsize .357/.38 revolver (Ruger GP-100 maybe).

Next best option is a shotgun with low-recoil buckshot.

Guest jackdog

Got to go with a revolver, with standard 38 loads. No matter what you decide to get, she needs to learn how to handle it safely. This will require a lot of practice on her part.

Got to go with a revolver, with standard 38 loads. No matter what you decide to get, she needs to learn how to handle it safely. This will require a lot of practice on her part.

Yep...I will throw in the 5th vote for a 38/357 revolver with a SD .38 load. You can't go wrong with that setup.

Something Very easy & light would be a Walther P22 really no recoil at all. You could also look at something alomg the lines of a Ruger LCP.380 or a Bersa .380.

It also has really no chance of putting down an attacker. .22 is not for self defense, and I think stands a roughly equal chance of scaring a bad guy off or making him really mad, with almost no chance of actually stopping him. .380 isn't much better.

I know some of you carry .380s, but you always admit that shot placement is key with smaller calibers. If she can practice enough to consistently place shots in critical areas under stress, she can handle a more effective weapon.

as a note...those airweight 38s hurt the hand after a few shots...they are just so light they snap sharply. not too much fun to shoot. plus 38 ammo more expensive and thus make it harder to practice a whole lot.

With that, my wife has a 38 snubbie (that isn't the very light models) if a BG comes but she mostly shots my 22 Neo when we go to the range to play.

I'm moving her towards the 9mm.

My vote is still with a .38 snubbie..... IMO it is the perfect self defense weapon for a novice shooter. They have plenty stopping power without too much recoil. They're light, small, and easy to handle. They're also pretty much idiot proof, so anyone that can point it and pull the trigger can shoot it.

.38 snubbies, or really any snubbies for that matter, are not fun range guns. That's just not what they're made for. They're made for up close personal self defense, period. In a situation where someone would have to shoot one in a self defense situation, the flowing adrenaline would definitely absorb the recoil :P

If possible, go to a range that rents guns and have her try out a few! All of us can recommend a slew of guns, but in the end, only she will ultimately know what is the best for her; besides, she can get some practice time and gain knowledge of guns if she is a beginner. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I know that this is late, but I will add my vote for a 38/357 too. However, I would suggest a steel-frame gun, not an unobtanium ultra-light weight hand slapper. I carry a 2" model 64 S&W, which is basically a stainless steel model 10. It's not really heavy, it just has a nice, solid feel about it. It also makes the recoil VERY tame! Even hot +p loads are not tough at all. No, it's not really +p rated, but whatever. With different heat treating of the cylinder, this gun is the .357 mag model 66. I'm sure it can take a little +p diet.

Guest bluecanary25

Oh heck, I'll join in this late, too.

DA BOSS, who dislikes shooting, prefers my P-6 over her Bersa 380.

To her, the recoil was less with the P-6. It is a little larger and heavier than the Bersa (both are very nice shooting, reliable and affordable handguns).

As suggested earlier, get her something that fits her hand and she is comfortable shooting.

Guest glockkiddo

I teach anywhere from 10-20 women to shoot a month in addition to Ladies Only Carry Permit Classes and most of them go with the Glock or Smith M&P. Remember that her hands are going to fit a gun completely different and if you want her to be comfortable with it she needs to like the way it feels. If these are too large for her hands try the Kahr CW9.