light/easy shooting gun

Guest Tyson1

Hey Glockkiddo, what's your location? Where are the classes at? I have a friend that needs this in Knoxville. She's a little intimidated by men, and I can't get it worked out to where I can teach her. She has never held a gun before in her life.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AgentWilliam

I would suggest a Taurus MILLENNIUM sub compact 9mm. My wife is not very stong and we searched for a while for a gun that would work for her. I also like the fact that the Millennium is easier when it comes to the safety mech for a woman. Great gun very accurate. If she has never fired a gun before I would go with a 38 revolver. But for $369 you can have a great automatic.

Guest glockkiddo

hustle, I am located in Murfreesboro however I offer classes on the weekends that seems to fit into most schedules. If you are interested in the Handgun Carry Permit Class for Ladies she can sign up online at www.ontargettn.com. All Ladies Only classes are marked as such. Let me know if I can help.

My vote is still with a .38 snubbie..... IMO it is the perfect self defense weapon for a novice shooter. They have plenty stopping power without too much recoil. They're light, small, and easy to handle. They're also pretty much idiot proof, so anyone that can point it and pull the trigger can shoot it.

.38 snubbies, or really any snubbies for that matter, are not fun range guns. That's just not what they're made for. They're made for up close personal self defense, period. In a situation where someone would have to shoot one in a self defense situation, the flowing adrenaline would definitely absorb the recoil :wave:

I have a snubbie, not a fun range gun, even though I qualified for my HCP with it. I still carrry it when my clothes will not allow the carry of my XD.

Good JHP's in a .38 should do good.

+1 Oh Shoot.

There's a big difference between a featherweight aluminum or titanium snub, and an all steel mini-tank. It's all about weight. I'll bet your SP with 357 mags doesn't kick like your Kahr with standard loads!

Less "snap" for sure; just more like a solid "pushback". Certainly no "sting" at all.

Prolly about same muzzle rise between the two. And it is a snubbie, 2 1/4".

Several of us shot it at Norris last week all using .357, nobody went "ow".

- OS

Yes, the heavier all steel snubbies absorb recoil very nicely. But they're HEAVY and a PITA to carry all day long, especially for most women. Lightweight in any carry gun means a lot to me.....second only to dependability. It's much easier for men, who usually wear belts, to carry a heavy gun than it is for a woman. I very frequently carry my Ultra-Lite .38 in a belly band because I don't wear a belt. When I have it on I sometimes forget it's there because it's so light and comfortable....and I even carry an extra speedloader with it.

• 2 weeks later...

It is probably too late for this reply, but here is my two cents worth. Take her to range that rents pistols and let her try a few. One major problem is a grip that is too big. Try revolvers and semi's of different calbers. Let her tell you which she likes. She will need to practice and if she does not like the pistol, she will not. Buying is not enough, how about a class or two? You need to build her confidence in the pistol and her ability to defend herself.

I have probably repeated much what has already been said. :dirty:

Guest TheBulldog

I see allot of guys think women should start with a .22, but I have started them with 38s and 40 cals without a problem.

You guys would be surprised how well some women can shoot given proper instruction on the first time at the range.

I suggest a trip to your local dealership and have her FIT several firearms to her hands and see what SHE LIKES.

Just keep it comfortable and feeling good in HER Hands.

You can manage the caliber issue once you know what she likes by her feel.

Remember, how a guy handles a firearm and feels it is way different than a woman's touch.

Just my 2.5 cents.