Tested a cheap dashcam yesterday.

Yesterday I got the camera described in this post

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/67307-why-the-us-is-losing-the-manufacturing-battle-to-china-recent-personal-experience/?hl=china

as I have been wanting a dashboard camera for a while.

I agree the manually is lacking for those that are limited to reading English.  However I have most of the features figured out.

Yesterday I threw it in the car as we headed to Murfreesboro.  The entire trip there and back was pretty smooth, with the 32gb card I put in, I believe it had enough room to record the entire trip there and back.

In the cheap software that it puts on the sd card, it can even records your speed and location on Google map for when you are displaying it later on the PC.  That info is lost when exporting to avi I believe.  However if needed you would have the original.

I got this little clip of a truck that just had to find a way to fit between a Big Rig and myself.  It was closer then the camera makes it appear.  As it was the first time using it, as I was in a hurry to get there before the store closed(Out Post Armory) I didn't take special care in placing the camera in the car. 

Yes, I made it there on time.  That is a story for another post.

http://youtu.be/LctwrwBU6pk

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Keal G Seo

Have to ask: Why not just get a cell phone suction mount and car charger ($20-$40) then an app like Qik to upload in real time? Believe, not sure though, the UCLA app can be closed but still runs in the background so you can still make calls and such.

@Vontar - considering that unit records at 1080p, I'm guessing it doesn't take long to fill up that card. Do you think you can estimate the amount of time per GB that unit records? I'd like to get something like this too, but don't want to sink a small fortune into SD cards.

Have to ask: Why not just get a cell phone suction mount and car charger ($20-$40) then an app like Qik to upload in real time? Believe, not sure though, the UCLA app can be closed but still runs in the background so you can still make calls and such.

this sounds like a good option too, I already have a 64 GB card in my phone. thanks for the suggestion

I only used it one time, which was yesterday.  I had a couple bad files but I retained most of a 5 hour drive.

It is suppose to loop back over it's self when it fills out.

Notice you can't read tag numbers.

This unit records Gforces and suppose to tag a video location that could be an accident.  In the software, it appears you can set up the thresholds, I so far have only left them in default.

Can multiple external cameras be plugged into this in order to use it like a multiplexer? Also, what file format does it record the information? Is it proprietary or google earth type files (kmz, kml, csv)?
Fwiw Might wanna try to Reduce your frame rate and quality 32g is a decent size card and should hold at least 30 minutes of video. We looked at the dash cams for use on a project. They don't hold data like patrol car setups ,but weve found these prosumer models are set to run constantly and come out of service immediately after an incident occurs. There is an I phone app for dash cam use called I SYm DVR that works great for dash use....
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Can multiple external cameras be plugged into this in order to use it like a multiplexer? Also, what file format does it record the information? Is it proprietary or google earth type files (kmz, kml, csv)?

That is a good question.  Some very strange formatting of the SD card.  It makes about 120meg viewable by windows and add a program called Jplayer to the card.  When you open Jplayer it can read some hidden area of the SD card that stores the video.  You can export them with Jplayer.

This camera does have 2 camera, one is intended to point back in the car.  I set it to only record on camera 2.  I don't believe it is full 1080i by any means.  I don't believe the camera is of the quality they advertise but it does want so far.

I will use it more over the coming weeks and probably for another opinion.

How much was it? What power source does it use? Or should I say, what is the intended means power it, cigarette lighter adapter or hard wired?

Cigarette lighter.  it does have a built in battery but I think I read somewhere that doesn't last long.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GAMNBK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was 80.  Also don't buy the SD card in the combo package, it has been pointed out in reviews that is the wrong SD card.  :screwy:

I am not sure I am recommending it, haven't used it enough yet.  Also you have to remove the SD card to plug into the PC.

As Keal G Seo pointed out there may be better, other options.  However watch data usage if you don't have an unlimited plan.