The rifle to have--if you only have one......

Going through a difficult time lately, and I have 1 rifle in the house.  This may sound like someone wedded to the past, but that one rifle is my Garand.

Recoil is quite manageable.  It is a few pounds heavier than I'd really like these days, true - but I'm not up to playing action hero anymore, so very unlikely I'd have to tote it very far.

The caliber will stop anything I'm likely to shoot at with a rifle - I can't recall ever hearing that 30-06 is an underperformer.  I've even clipped up some black tip on the off chance I'm attacked by Christine.

Clip fed, but I've plenty of clipped ammo on hand.  3 seconds to shove a new clip in and get back on sights, and that isn't trying for speed.

Accuracy?  Maybe mine is specially blessed or something, but I'm accustomed to 1 MOA.  Iron sights, of course, but the best iron sights ever mounted on a bangstick.

• Like 5

This is still 'Merica, and Tennersee at that. What is this "one rifle" concept anyway?

- OS

well, i have a firearms that i consider "keepers." This may be for sentimental reasons or practical applications. Currently, i have other rifles but  i am look for a solid rifle to fit a variety of uses. This would be one of those guns that i keep because it fills a need. I'm sure i will buy/sale/trade other rifles in the future as i have in the past.

However, i am looking for that one gun that will be with me for the long run--same as my 870, .22 rifle, .357 revolver, subcompact 9mm and a full size .45AUTO.  That;s the purpose of the thread. If hard time hit and i had to sale off firearms, what would be one rifle that i could keep to accomplish a variety of uses?

You could always try a dragonuv PSL.  A little over your price range but not by much.   Plenty accurate if using quality ammunition and lots of surplus 7.62x54 ammunition out there for it.

Another option well within your price range would be a Remington 750.  Its available in a number of different calibers that would meet all of your requirements.  the only thing that wouldn't is the magazine capacity, although there are 10 round magazines available.  Not as accurate as some of the other rifles mentioned but still plenty accurate for the distances your talking about.   Most people report approx 2 MOA groups and under with good factory ammo and approaching or at 1 MOA for quality hand loads (Disclaimer:  there are many mixed reviews about this gun, independent research suggested)

This has my vote for the price range you suggest http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/centerfire/model-750/model-750-synthetic.aspx or for a little more money the browning ,the one with the boss , I'm jest a more of simiauto kinda guy http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=002B&cid=031&tid=001 and for a lever marlin 308 http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xlr/308MXLR.asp Edited by ted
My vote would be a nice milled ak or a mosin pu(sniper model). Or maybe a 23" vepr in x54r - I have one and it is a keeper for sure. Centerfire just dropped their prices on them too. Hard to beat a good rifle in x54r!

If feature #3 (low recoil) is really important to you, a .308 bolt may not be a good choice. My wife will never shoot my .308 bolt because it would hurt her and she'd never trust me at the range again. She shoots .22LR rifles and .223 AR-15. I hear a .308 semi like an AR-10 is somewhere in between an AR-15 and a .308 bolt. I've never tried one, so I can't say for sure.

If it's only one rifle and it needs to be a bolt rifle, then I too would vote for a Remington 700 in .308 caliber.  For your budget, you can get a very nice basic rifle and a suitable scope.  Aftermarket parts are easy to come by and offer a wide variety of options.  The models with the hinged floor plate are more desirable in my opinion because they make it easier to unload and get into the rifle to clean.  You can also buy a conversion kit that allows the use of detachable box mags should you ever choose to go that route. 

The Ruger Scout was mentioned, and there is something to be said about it.  It's a rifle I'd like to add to my collection, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on it as a good all-around rifle for your needs.  The short barrel makes it handy, but would definitely increase the recoil.  I have also heard mixed reviews on the scout scope option.  You need a specific long-relief scope and if it's a TEOTWAWKI situation, I'd like the option to grab any scope available if my original optic was damaged.  Again, I've never actually owned or shot one, so YMMV, but those are my thoughts from handling the rifle and reading about it.  Perhaps I can buy one in the near future and give a first hand account.  :dirty:

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

I would use a 308 or 30-06. I have a Remington 742 (30-06 with Leopold scope)  that I use for deer hunting and I think it's meets most of your specifications. It's not a combat rifle, I wouldn't use it for a SHTF or defensive situation. For that, I would use a M1A (308) but that exceeds your budget.

If I could only own just one gun in my life, It would be a scoped 12 gauge. I can shoot slugs, buck shot and small shot, and can hunt and kill anything that walks this continent. I can shoot slugs accurately out of mine out to 150 yards. That's just my opinion though.

DaveS

browning 308 lever is great but recoil is brutal with full loads.   Reduced loads are fine, easy to make, plenty for even deer etc, just use at shorter ranges than 1/2 a mile out eh?

I would get a 243 for a recoil reduced wife friendly rifle.  

I dunno what calibers the blr comes in, maybe can get a 243....

a metal/shop can probably modify a 308 AR mag to fit. 

Lever action is very fast & easy to use after practice....

Edited by Jonnin

Thanks for all the great info! Regarding shooting in my own backyard--the property has 7 acres but the house sits very close to the rear of the property. There is a fenceline and pasture beyond, though I haven't seen any livestock the couple times I've been up there. There aren't any close neighbors, but you can see houses in the distance, probably within earshot of gunfire. Most of the acreage is in front of the house, so I'd either be shooting toward livestock (unless the land behind is unused) or toward traffic (even though it's well beyond the front of the house.)

If it's only one rifle and it needs to be a bolt rifle, then I too would vote for a Remington 700 in .308 caliber.  For your budget, you can get a very nice basic rifle and a suitable scope.  Aftermarket parts are easy to come by and offer a wide variety of options.  The models with the hinged floor plate are more desirable in my opinion because they make it easier to unload and get into the rifle to clean.  You can also buy a conversion kit that allows the use of detachable box mags should you ever choose to go that route. The Ruger Scout was mentioned, and there is something to be said about it.  It's a rifle I'd like to add to my collection, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on it as a good all-around rifle for your needs.  The short barrel makes it handy, but would definitely increase the recoil.  I have also heard mixed reviews on the scout scope option.  You need a specific long-relief scope and if it's a TEOTWAWKI situation, I'd like the option to grab any scope available if my original optic was damaged.  Again, I've never actually owned or shot one, so YMMV, but those are my thoughts from handling the rifle and reading about it.  Perhaps I can buy one in the near future and give a first hand account.  :dirty:

I believe if you had a scope malfunction in a TEOTWAWKI situation you could just shoot the irons. It may be more convenient than searching the planet (possibly on foot) for a suitable scope. Just saying :)

rethinking this...

I guess I have trouble trying to visualize a bolt as a defense weapon.  Ditto for long range stuff.  To me, defense is most likely to be less than 500 yards and rapid fire, high capacity would be critical for it.   I just do not see myself in some sort of sniper cat & mouse game.  

That means a cheap AR would be the way to go.  Its enough for a deer, and its ideal for defense at the likely ranges. 

I mean a mosin, for example, is an awesome piece of firepower but you get less than 10 shots, its slow to reload, its slow to cycle the bolt, and if someone is shooting at me with their ar or ak at 100 yards I would not like to only have my 5 shot mosin to counter them.    If they are 1500 yards out behind a steel wall, the mosin begins to outclass the AR, but what sort of scenarios are you really thinking to be likely???

As for hunting, a small caliber (9mm and up, really) pistol will drop a deer.  That means just about any "rifle caliber" (.223 or larger) is fine, as are most pistol calibers (say 9mm and up carbines). 

Anyway, as soon as you say the word defense, semi-auto rifle becomes better IMHO.    I would still have one long range gun, bolt action is fine for that, if you have room for it in your bug out stuff.   You never know what may be useful.  But that gun would not be your go-to for 5 guys trying to storm your cabin.

How about an M1 carbine and Ruger Blackhawk (.30cal)

Not sure of the effective hunting range or game size past 150yards...

Parameters indicate to not be affected by future guvment regulations.  They've been after M1 Carbines in a big way for years.

Much as I love that rifle I'd recommend a Mini-14 over it for hunting or any work over 100 yards, but those will eventually be banned as well.

Qualifications:
CHECK -caliber that would allow hunting in the southeast
CHECK -magazine capacity of at least 5 rounds. Detachable is a plus.
CHECK -Relatively low recoil (i want my wife to be able to handle the rifle if absolutely necessary)
CHECK -readily available caliber.
CHECK -effective range of 250 yrds (if i do my part)
CHECK -suitable for defensive situation (highly unlikely)
CHECK -configuration that would not likely be effected by future gun regulations (the main reson i am leaning toward a bolt action--did i mention that i just finished reading 'Enemies foreign and domestic)
CHECK -Price range is ~$800. I can go over a little for the right gun. "buy right once, cry once"

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ben

I cant help posting again because i just have so much respect for this gun. Plus spare parts are everywhere, it packs easily, is very reliable, is easy to cast/reload ammo for it, and everyone thinks it's just a deer rifle.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/970881589/Winchester_1894_30_30_MFG_1955.htm

Parameters indicate to not be affected by future guvment regulations.  They've been after M1 Carbines in a big way for years.

Much as I love that rifle I'd recommend a Mini-14 over it for hunting or any work over 100 yards, but those will eventually be banned as well.

I threw that requirement out; you have no idea what will or will not be outlawed. All we have is wild azz guesses and wishful thinking. You can’t base anything serious on those.

Besides that anyone knows you can’t hit the broad side of a barn with a mini 14 if you were standing inside it. biggrin.gif

• Like 1
I agree with the AR recommendation. I would look at maybe an upper in .300 blackout, though, there are a lot of different calibers. Carbon fiber lowers can reduce the price and weight. They can break down to be carried in a backpack. I have seen complete aluminum lowers for $250 or less and complete uppers for $550. Watching for sales, it should meet nearly all of your requirements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD